A Gorn/Romulan BATREP

OrneryRooster said:
Great report and pics, Eric.

I can't wait to see our game from earlier this week; you know, the one where no one on our side knew how to perform IDF for some reason. :lol:

-George

Like I said, it might be next week sometime :) Yes, in regards to IDF, I hate that when it happens, but it didn't slow you guys down too much. It's not like you went ALL POWER TO ENGINES straight into the opposing fleet or left a ship in the explosion zone of a dying warship :lol: I was so fixated on that Fed BCH... ugh.

love those romulan ships
would love to know how you painted them
as that some kind of turquoise wash you have going on there?

alansa said:
love those romulan ships
would love to know how you painted them
as that some kind of turquoise wash you have going on there?

You are perceptive :) I use Vallejo paints. I love to layer colors (and mix then), but then again, I'm an art teacher :lol:

My base color is "Blue Grey Pale" for my Eagles. I then applied washes, paint simply mixed down with water, for shadows. Carefully find all the nooks and crannies where shadows would be. Here I used "Dark Seagreen." I wouldn't use pure black for shading unless we're talking very dark colors. Black is a powerful color in its own right, and I learned a long time ago to be cautious with it. I don't think Monet knew it existed. I then add highlights of lighter greys or off whites -such as "silvergrey" and "skygrey." Go and pick some colors out from a hobby store, similar but different, for a variety of effects. I've used drybrushing on many of my ships to great success. My Fed ships use a variety of whites. I have to say, those are pretty tricky... anything white on white. There's 's a lot of layering with these lighter ships. Good luck painting! :)

Thanks for your answer :)

Yes indeed, I've done a bunch of fed ships and they are indeed tricky, especially the main hull with the grid patterns.

But then I always find white to be one of the more difficult colours to work with. Red easy : dark red shadows, orange highlights. Yellow easy: orange or light brown up to yellow and even white. White? I'm never satisfied!

You're so very right about using black for shading / washes. When you first put it on and it's nice and wet it looks good and your think you're doing the right thing. When it dries, oh dear.

Anyway, Thanks for the tips. I'm off to buy a massive selection of grey paints!

Back