A Combat Droid question.

Garuda

Mongoose
Of the few droids that appear in the core rule book, some of them have attacks listed. For this there appears no required software programme. Amongst the blurb though there is the mention of droids with expert combat programming.

So, if I create a droid for use in a campaign can I follow the core rule book example and list those droids with weaponary and attacks or do I need to install them with software and expert programmes to use their weapons? - If software is needed, do I use fire control or programmable 'skills' like gun combat and melee?

The droids I have created have two mechanical arms, one ending in a fixed blade, the other with a mounted pulse laser.

My guess would be that a purpose built combat droid should have at least a zero level in its relevant attacks. Any more than that is dependent upon how a deadly a threat you want it to be.

As for the 'standard' attacks, I kind of took it as meaning that although these robots physically could make attacks they aren't intended or programmed to that effect. It would take a very specific set of programming, commands or on-the-fly mischief (read PC actions) to make your standard butler bot attempt to attack someone.

And personally, I would hit a 'bot without a combat sub-routine with the standard unskilled penalty.

Keep in mind that autonomous combat drones (those running an intellect and expert combat programs) are generally viewed very, very poorly by the Imperium. There's nothing especially as threatening as an enemy that cannot know fear and is easily replaceable.

My Traveller players have finally come to understand that they generally encounter drones, not droids. Drones are controlled from somewhere else by a person, usually. Drones do not need combat programs, they just need someone at a terminal to aim them.

Alexander Cecil said:
Keep in mind that autonomous combat drones (those running an intellect and expert combat programs) are generally viewed very, very poorly by the Imperium. There's nothing especially as threatening as an enemy that cannot know fear and is easily replaceable.

Other versions of Traveller have high tech Hiver warbots which are illegal in the Imperium in the OTU.

Flynn said to me off the boards, his upcoming .pdf for MGT on robots won't have Hiver warbots per se since OTU material can't be used in the MGT OGL but the version presented will be very close.

Mike

Mind just might be my personal perspective but I see combat droids-drones more as such appeared in the film. Ice Pirates rather than the myriad of non-bipedal forms seen in the Star Wars sagas.

That sentiment more based on boarding actions in the confines of a starship than say mass combat encounters in more open environs.

Another thought to consider is could a drone-droid as described also find duty as a salvage-survey-rescue unit sent to explore space hulks or vessels in distress.

Patron Zero said:
Mind just might be my personal perspective but I see combat droids-drones more as such appeared in the film. Ice Pirates rather than the myriad of non-bipedal forms seen in the Star Wars sagas.

That sentiment more based on boarding actions in the confines of a starship than say mass combat encounters in more open environs.

Another thought to consider is could a drone-droid as described also find duty as a salvage-survey-rescue unit sent to explore space hulks or vessels in distress.

Like everything else, design aesthetics depend on the designer. Some will prefer humanoid warbots, others will prefer small chicken walkers, "Big Dogs" (like the current ammo carrier being developed), big treaded cybertanks, or floating Death Machines.

Different worlds are likely to have different solutions.

Back