A Bit Nervous

I first discovered the Lone Wolf books when I got books 1 and 2, right after book 2 was first released in the US. I wasn't all that much into fiction, other than Tolkien, but these came highly recommended. I'd been somewhat taken with some of the (childish) Choose Your Own Adventure books; I didn't really like them in and of themselves - they target a very young audience, of course - but I liked the idea.

I love pen&paper RPGs... but I've never, ever, in my entire life, played one! Why do I own so many RPG books? I love reading them. That sounds completely bizarre, perhaps even unique, but I love creative, immersive settings with scientific rules defining what's what. In my moderately-sized collection of RPG books Mongoose Publishing features heavily.

Joe Dever managed to combine a scientific, immersive, brilliantly designed setting with rules, consistency, and an amazing fleshing-out of the universe and details at a level remiscient of Tolkien. All this is brought together using a talent for doing-more-with-less that ranks up there among the best authors to ever employ this style.

Then I found out that this same Mongoose Publishing would be re-issuing the fantastic Lone Wolf books, updated, revised, and with the unreleased completion of the New Order series! What could be better? I decided I'd wait until the paperbacks came out. It's not really the lower cost, it's just that I can't really envision hardback books being as easy to "play" as the paperbacks.

Then I read about the errors. Error after error. Reissues, retractions, corrections upon corrections. This must cost Mongoose Publishing money. The paperbacks aren't coming out for quite some time, but now I'm worried that either:

(A) Mongoose will lose so much money dealing with errors in the hardback editions that they won't bother with the paperbacks at all, or

(B) The paperbacks will contain errors - whether the fault of Mongoose or the publishing - and I won't be able to get an error-free one.

But I'm really nervous about (A). Is it a sure thing that the paperbacks are coming out eventually? Reading comments here on this board and "abroad" on the rest of the Internet, I get the impression (hopefully dead wrong) that Mongoose can't be making money on this... and companies can't keep pumping money into a losing venture.

Love Dever, love Lone Wolf, and love Mongoose! Please tell me my fears are groundless!

Sorry about the long post, but I've been checking the message board for several years, and felt like indulging in an introduction.

Well, as for your B point - Gamebooks inevitably all pick up errors somewhere along the line - just check out project aon, and see all the corrections made to the Red Fox editions.

Mongoose have been superb so far in that any possibly game breaking errors(missing sections and the like) or quality issues have been instantly replaced, at least for me. Also, Mongoose now makes very few errors; most of them were when mongoose used it's own printing press. The recent error with book 8 was entirely the fault of the printer, so the reprints didn't cost mongoose any money.

Matthew will no doubt be able to give you a more accurate answer with regards to the paperbacks, but as far as I know, the only thing holding up paperback sales is distribution deals.

Except for the first three books, I don't think Mongoose had to pay to reprint some of the gamebooks. Like Lord Darkstrom said, the reprint of book 8 was paid entirely by the printer since it was their mistake. I think Mongoose is currently cashing in on the republication of the LW gamebooks, so I don't think you have to worry about point A. As for point B, with all the errors we, the readers, spotted (and I'm not counting the typos) and reported, I'm surprised that they are not corrected, but I suspect that they will be for the softback versions.

As others have said, any major errors with missing sections have been replaced. Some of the equipment pages have been missed, but if you need them they are available on the internet pages here. The rest of the errors are mainly typos, incorrect action charts and the like.

Overall the books are pretty much fine, very playable and worth getting as they look very good and the bonus adventures are excellent.

Go for it! :lol:

Back