2nd edition

Neo said:
Dastari said:
Morden said:
I'll probably get the 2nd edition, but I may keep using the system in the original game if the narrative ship combat system is what I think it will be.

I'm probably going to run a 1.5 campaign myself. Personally, I like the idea of a narrative ship combat system and I like what I've heard about the updated telepath rules. I am <i>not</i> a fan of them making Defense Value even lower since I think that it's already to rediculously easy to kill people in the current system. Like you, I would like to see an increase in HP especially since they're lowering DV and just making it a class feature rather than something that you can (at least on a limited level) control by increasing stats.

I'm also curious if they're going to change some of the medical rules because I still think that the alien anatomy feat is a cheat. There ought to be some middle ground between taking a -10 on all medical checks on a creature that isn't of your race and being completely proficient at treating all races even ones you've never heard of before or that have bodies that aren't based on carbon or etc etc...

Defence isnt an issue like you think.. it isnt tied to reflex save anymore and instead progresses with class. Is defence lowered um.. well simple anser is Yes AND No.
Defence actually starts off higher than 1e on the whole, but because there are only 10 class levels not 20 then yes obviously it also doesnt go as high.. but when you consider your jumping into prestiges who themselves follow Defence progressions then you can actually end up with defences that are as high if not quite a bit higher than 1e.

Medical skill is unchanged.

What about the Technomage?

Shadow Queen said:
What about the Technomage?

Wasn't a part of the 2e Main Rulebook as of the time we playtested it.. We did ask it be included though simply so that ALL base classes were then covered in the main rules, but whether or not it will be remains to be seen.

Technomage base class will need looking at however to be 2e compliant as a 10 level base class. but it could feasibly just have the defence progression added for a 20 level class and use as is with relatively minor changes as noted in the conversions section of the 2e main rulebook when it is released.

Neo said:
Defence isnt an issue like you think.. it isnt tied to reflex save anymore and instead progresses with class. Is defence lowered um.. well simple anser is Yes AND No.
Defence actually starts off higher than 1e on the whole, but because there are only 10 class levels not 20 then yes obviously it also doesnt go as high.. but when you consider your jumping into prestiges who themselves follow Defence progressions then you can actually end up with defences that are as high if not quite a bit higher than 1e.

Still, I have a hard time swallowing defense based on class instead of defense based on your dexterity. After all, take Soldiers whom I'm assuming are going to wind up with the highest DV progression. You could have a soldier whose a guy whose very lithe and dodges around during combat or you could have a soldier whose built like a brick and can't move very fast. He would prefer to take cover and fire at his opponents. In the new system, they'll all be equal and before I liked the fact that your choice of value that you placed in dexterity is what determined whether or not you're guy dodged well or not. It also immitated life.

Similarly one of the things that I do like about B5 as opposed to D&D is that B5 uses DV and DR instead of AC. DV and DR reflect the real world more in that you'd have some sort of basic dodge ability and any clothing that you wear would add some sort of reduction to your damage. It always bothered me that in D&D armor just helps you dodge and that damage reduction is part of some inherant quality of a creature or character rather than something that you can add with armor. That's sort of how I feel about this new DV system.

Still, I'll buy the book when it comes out and I'll see then what I like and what I don't. I wager that I'll pick and choose what I like and what I don't. I'm definitely looking forward to the updated telepath rules though.

But in the 1st Edition, defence was based on your reflex save, which increased by class. But because Soldiers had poor reflex saves, the most combat-capable class had the lowest defence.

Greg Smith said:
But in the 1st Edition, defence was based on your reflex save, which increased by class. But because Soldiers had poor reflex saves, the most combat-capable class had the lowest defence.

Except that by choosing to place a high value in your Dexterity it would increase your reflex save even if the Save progression was "poor". In fact, if you chose to increase your Dex every 4 levels you could have a very high DV despite your low save progression and since all classes except agent had poor reflex saves your Soldier with a high dex could dodge better than just about anyone other than an agent with a similarly high dex, which sounds about right to me.

Dastari said:
Still, I have a hard time swallowing defense based on class instead of defense based on your dexterity.

Your Dex still plays a part just not your Reflex save.. Defence is 10 + Dex mod + siz mod + class bonus.

So as you can see you dexterity still plays a part.

Neo said:
Your Dex still plays a part just not your Reflex save.. Defence is 10 + Dex mod + siz mod + class bonus.

So as you can see you dexterity still plays a part.

Now see this was the information missing in the Signs and Portents write-up. Now that does make sense as it would indicate the product of your innate dexterity and your class training. That works for me.

There are a number of products listed on the website that we suspect may be miniatures: Centauri Royal Guard, Narn Warriors, Minbari Warrior Caste, EA Officers, Vorlons.

Just read the 2ed preview sounds good. I like what you've done with telepathy but one thing that wasn't mentioned was telepathic defence, will this still be handled with a will save, does p rating in any way effect defence? also although the idea of every telepath having access to basic abilities like scanning makes sence, the series suggests that certain powers have to be learned, i'm thinking here of attack probes as seen in Series 5 though that isn't the only example but why would it be specifically mentioned to bester that X has been trained in attack probes if any high rated telepath can use it.

which leads to a totally unrelated question.
When a telepath senses someone using an ability in their range, is this a sense telepathy use or just a general sense? If it is sense teleapthy, then I can see a lot of telepaths in teeptown falling over from exhaustion after going past a group of people using their abilities.

But yes, I'd like to know about defense too?

Back