2nd Age Balazar

Quire said:
mthomason said:
I refuse to start charging customers by weight on heavier packages)

Matt - do it. Don't be selling ANY books at a loss. I mean...why would you?

- Q

To be honest, its not worth the loss in sales it'd cause - too many people like our flat rate postage rather than getting a nasty shock. Besides its such a tiny of parcels that hit that area thats too heavy to post and doesn't quite make enough to cover the courier delivery that it's really not worth changing anything over. Come to think of it, its such a tiny number that have RPG orders compared to miniatures, anyway :)

Changing our postage scheme would just cause more damage than its worth as it would mean setting the site up to charge by weight on everything, including miniatures orders (which we pretty much rely on), and just annoy the people that use us because they only have to pay £2.50 to get £150 of miniatures delivered.

I want to keep the RPGs there as much as possible for customers that want them, even though I can say pretty honestly they account for under 10% of our total profits. I may have to go through some time and bump up the prices of especially heavy ones by 50p or so, though :)

At the end of the day its no different to the supermarket putting something at half price - they're likely making a tiny loss on it, but if it brings people in the doors they more than make it back on other things.

Balazar: Unified the Votanki tribes at the end of the Second Age: the "Land of Balazar" is named after him. He died in the Dragonkill. His three children (Elkoi, Dykene and Trilus) each built a citadel, now named for its founder.

andakitty said:
Here in Seattle, the home of WOTC and a veritable hotbed of D&D, you don't find many RQ players. Just to see what would happen yesterday I posted a notice in a local yahoo game group for a 'testdrive' of MRQ at a local gamestore and there were three responses overnight. Well, well. :D

Seattle probably has more Gloranthan contribution per capita than any other city. Between myself, David Dunham, Neil Robinson, Pam Carlson, and Rob Helm, there's been an awful lot of Gloranthan source material written in that town.

Jeff

richaje said:
andakitty said:
Here in Seattle, the home of WOTC and a veritable hotbed of D&D, you don't find many RQ players. Just to see what would happen yesterday I posted a notice in a local yahoo game group for a 'testdrive' of MRQ at a local gamestore and there were three responses overnight. Well, well. :D

Seattle probably has more Gloranthan contribution per capita than any other city. Between myself, David Dunham, Neil Robinson, Pam Carlson, and Rob Helm, there's been an awful lot of Gloranthan source material written in that town.

Jeff

I'm moving to Seattle! Pity about your American Football team though, :eek: although you do have Frasier.

Vikings for ever! [runs]

From a Brit

homerjsinnott said:
I'm moving to Seattle! Pity about your American Football team though, :eek: although you do have Frasier. Vikings for ever! [runs]

From a Brit

The Vikings? Man, I could have taken that from a Bears fan or a Colts fan or a Saints fan or even a Patriots fan - but the Vikings? Come on!

Jeff (who plans to cheer for the Colts just to make sure the Bears go down)

richaje said:

Jeff

Hmm. Robin Laws and myself live in Toronto (along with a few other contributors). Just sayin. =)

Jeff

Voriof said:
richaje said:

Jeff

Hmm. Robin Laws and myself live in Toronto (along with a few other contributors). Just sayin. =)

Jeff

Per capita my friend, per capita. Toronto is about four times bigger than little old Seattle.

Jeff

richaje said:
Voriof said:
richaje said:

Jeff

Jeff

Per capita my friend, per capita. Toronto is about four times bigger than little old Seattle.

Jeff

Sorry, I was thinking page count. God, its scary watching Robin work. Just... scary.

Jeff

Out of interest (and in keeping with the topic of this thread)...

Back last August I did submit a proposal for a MRQ campaign setting in Balazar to Mongoose. To be fair I'd been told at Continuum that Gloranthan campaign submissions werent of interest (and I've no incline to do non-Gloranthan material anyway!) so i submitted a proposal anyway.

Very promptly and nicely I was replied:

Thanks very much for the precis - it got all your major points across succinctly and accurately, which is exactly what a person in my position needs.

While it is a fine concept, The Rise of Balazar is not a product that we're interested in developing at the moment. Part of the reason for this, as Matthew Sprange explained at Continuum, is that freelance Glorantha material is not high on our list of priorities right now. The other part of the reason is that your subject material, while excellently described, will not segue well with the Second Age setting as set out in Glorantha - The Second Age (once this book hits the shelves, you will immediately see what I mean).

I wish you the very best for the future,

Ian Belcher
Publications Manager

In hindsight Mongoose were totally right that a submission would need 2A Glorantha book release - and indeed certainly Magic of Glorantha to truly show what the Second Age was about and indeed another proposal would look very different - but I wasnt that far off the mark methinks.

Lets hope that Gloranthan Campaign material has bumped highly up the list (I still feel its vital otherwise I see MRQ as another V:TM source, source and more source books) but yet these are ALWAYS better illustrated thru compaigns that lazy or newbie GMs can grab off the shelf...

Just hope one day they come back to me and say "hey, that idea you had... would you do another proposal?" :)

Ravage said:
Out of interest (and in keeping with the topic of this thread)...

Back last August I did submit a proposal for a MRQ campaign setting in Balazar to Mongoose. To be fair I'd been told at Continuum that Gloranthan campaign submissions werent of interest

Didn't Mark or Simon say Unspoken Word were going to be supporting MRQ? You could try submitting your proposal to them... then you could really show Mongoose what they missed out on

From the little information we have about the first Gloranthan 2nd Age scenario to be published, I do fear we'll mainly see a lot of high-level powergaming scenarions.

Starting up with a low-mid level scenario would have been preferred the way I see it.

Trif.

Banned Beetle said:
From the little information we have about the first Gloranthan 2nd Age scenario to be published, I do fear we'll mainly see a lot of high-level powergaming scenarions.

Starting up with a low-mid level scenario would have been preferred the way I see it.

Trif.

Perhaps best to reserve judgement until it's out, eh Trif? And even then, I sincerely doubt 'powergaming' will be part of the ingredients.

- Q

Quire said:
Perhaps best to reserve judgement until it's out, eh Trif? And even then, I sincerely doubt 'powergaming' will be part of the ingredients.

- Q

With powergaming, I meant adventuring with powerful characters, high-level characters. I'll most likely buy the scenario, but as it is concerned with raiding myths & heroquesting, I think it's safe to assume it will be a scenario for high-level characters.

I was just expressing my view that a low or mid-level scenario might be have been nice to start with, and some fear that this might not appear for a while.

Trif.

There is very little from Mongoose on Votankiland/Balazar - other than that it keeps getting referred to as Balazar even though he doesn't come to the area for about another 100 years or so from the default setting date of 908.

ACTA is the acronym for A Call To Arms, Mongooses Babylon 5 spaceship combat game.

duncan_disorderly said:
Didn't Mark or Simon say Unspoken Word were going to be supporting MRQ? You could try submitting your proposal to them... then you could really show Mongoose what they missed out on

If you look at the Mongoose "OGL" policy on third parties (like Unspoken Word) publishing Gloranthan Runequest you will find that it is prohibited. You can publish something for Runequest, but not if it is Gloranthan Runequest. Publishing something Gloranthan (but not for Runequest) also requires a license from Issaries.

Sorry,
Rick

Here is the OGL section I was referring to:

13. The use of the term Glorantha or any material directly connected to the Glorantha setting is expressly prohibited by this agreement.

Thus, no Gloranthan Runequest by third parties.

Sorry,
Rick

Back