2nd Age Balazar

I don't know what is possible with licensing from Issaries.

Mongoose has an exclusive license to use the trademark Runequest.
That would leave me to believe that Issaries can't license anyone else without Mongoose's approval. I'm not a lawyer for these sorts of things, so I can only go by what Mongoose has said in their OGL/SRD docs.

I did email Mongoose last year to ask whether they would license Gloranthan Runequest and they said they would not do that. They want to develop it, at least for now.

Rick

That's too bad. Would have been good if some more people who really cared about the setting could produce for MRQ Glorantha too.

SGL.

So I imagine you could produce a rules free supplement for the Second Age under license from Issaries but not an actual RQ supplement.

I wonder if Mongoose would ever be open to fans publishing Third Age material for MRQ. One thing that would be nice would be stat conversions for classic scenarios such as Apple Lane and Snakepipe Hollow for example.

I don't imagine Mongoose would be averse to considering any high quality Gloranthan material (but I can understand why they wouldn't or couldn't licence Glorantha 2nd Age).

I mean, even Mongoose Chris has said:

Just one thing to bear in mind: articles dealing specifically for a setting that we are developing ourselves (that is, Glorantha or Lankhmar) are significantly less likely to be accepted for publication. Why? Because they have to mesh neatly with our own plans for the setting. Since you don't know what those plans are, and we're not telling (so don't ask), there is a certain element of shooting in the dark involved. Don't let that discourage you, though. Feel free to send in your Glorantha and Lankhmar material and if it's good, and it fits, we'll use it. We just think this is something you ought to know.

So despite the caveat, you CAN still open a dialogue with Mongoose if you've got something Gloranthan worthy of their attention.

- Q

Rurik said:
So I imagine you could produce a rules free supplement for the Second Age under license from Issaries but not an actual RQ supplement.

I wonder if Mongoose would ever be open to fans publishing Third Age material for MRQ. One thing that would be nice would be stat conversions for classic scenarios such as Apple Lane and Snakepipe Hollow for example.

Obviously this is conjecture, but I get the impression that Mongoose gets the 2nd Age, and just that.

Assuming that is the case, though, there's no reason why new negotiations couldn't open that possibility up in the future. Especially if 2nd Age does well and makes 3rd Age conversions/new material commercially viable.

All hearsay, tho', fair enough.

- Q

This January in his Runequest News thread Matt also said:

msprange said:
Support for RuneQuest in Signs & Portents (our free to download magazine - if you are not getting it every month, you are missing out!) will continue. While we have several articles stacked up for future issues, we love to see what fans bring to the game themselves - so drop us a line with your ideas and we'll see if there is a decent article in there. Let everyone see what you include in your own games!

Incidentally, we _will_ accept Gloranthan-based articles for S&P. And Lankhmar as well, for that matter. . .

This was subsequent to Chris's statement. The key is finding a niche that doesn't tread on future MGP plans I suppose.

Rurik said:

I don't think it is Mongoose's choice. Issaries has liscened out HeroQuest, and that coveres 3rd age. THis will probably tick some people off, but I think one reason why Greg let Mongoose have such a fee hand with MRQ and the 2nd Age is that it all gets trashed as has no impact on Glorantha's future. Everything that Mongoose produces can be chalked up as a EWF or GL perversion that got axed by the Dragons at the end of the age.

On the other side of the coin, I wonder if Greg is even allowed, legally, to incorporate anything that Mongoose publishes into any "offical" Glorantha stuff he produces? If he likes some new cult or something, can he even let it surive into the 3rd age if he wanted? I suspect that legally, both settings are isolated.

atgxtg said:
On the other side of the coin, I wonder if Greg is even allowed, legally, to incorporate anything that Mongoose publishes into any "offical" Glorantha stuff he produces? If he likes some new cult or something, can he even let it surive into the 3rd age if he wanted? I suspect that legally, both settings are isolated.

DBC mentioned that Greg intends to use some ideas from The Clanking City in his work, so I'm not sure that your theory pans out in practice.

- Q

atgxtg said:

In the end, it's Greg's world. So, yes. Consider that material from Clanking City has already been incorporated into Middle Sea Empire.

Jeff

Greg Stafford once told me that part of every Gloranthan licensing deal he makes, including the one with Mongoose, allows him full concept use. He can't use copyrighted text (without permission), but he can basically build on any Gloranthan idea without limitation.

Hope that helps,
Rick

Cool, I'm glad Greg can incorporate stuff he likes from Mongoose (and others) into Glorantha. I hope some things do tie in with futre Glorantha stuff.

The whole 2nd age setting, destined for oblivion, written by people other than Greg just doesn't seem very "official" to me. If some things get picked up by Greg an used in other Gloranthan stuff, it helps to make the 2nd Age Glornatha part of the same setting, rather than just an alternate take.

atgxtg said:
Cool, I'm glad Greg can incorporate stuff he likes from Mongoose (and others) into Glorantha. I hope some things do tie in with futre Glorantha stuff.

The whole 2nd age setting, destined for oblivion, written by people other than Greg just doesn't seem very "official" to me. If some things get picked up by Greg an used in other Gloranthan stuff, it helps to make the 2nd Age Glornatha part of the same setting, rather than just an alternate take.

Oddly enough, a fair number of things in Cults of Glorantha and the 2nd Age book appear in Trader Princes and the various Unfinished Works.

Or is it things I wrote for Trader Princes are appearing in the MRQ books - I can't tell! :wink:

Jeff

Voriof said:
atgxtg said:

In the end, it's Greg's world. So, yes. Consider that material from Clanking City has already been incorporated into Middle Sea Empire.

Actually, you've got that in reverse. Material from "Middle Sea Empire" and the "Book of Heortling History" was incorporated into the Clanking City. The Second Age freeform at Tentacles (written by me and with Greg and Sandy as players) is our first attempt to reconcile much of the MRQ material with our Second Age histories. We'll have a guidebook like that of Broken Council for those who play in it.

richaje said:
Voriof said:
atgxtg said:

Actually, you've got that in reverse. Material from "Middle Sea Empire" and the "Book of Heortling History" was incorporated into the Clanking City. The Second Age freeform at Tentacles (written by me and with Greg and Sandy as players) is our first attempt to reconcile much of the MRQ material with our Second Age histories. We'll have a guidebook like that of Broken Council for those who play in it.

Actually, we've also been told that some names and ideas that were in the Clanking City drafts were used by Greg as well - which made Aaron frighteningly happy. 8)

Jeff

Voriof said:
Actually, we've also been told that some names and ideas that were in the Clanking City drafts were used by Greg as well - which made Aaron frighteningly happy. 8)

That might be in the Iron Wars section of the Book of Heortling History. MSE was written in June of last year, which is before any of the Clanking City drafts were begun, I suspect. That being said, I am definitely looting a few of Aaron's ideas for the big Second Age LARP.

Jeff

richaje said:
That might be in the Iron Wars section of the Book of Heortling History. MSE was written in June of last year, which is before any of the Clanking City drafts were begun, I suspect. That being said, I am definitely looting a few of Aaron's ideas for the big Second Age LARP.

Jeff

I believe you are right - along with the Vengeful Renvald material :shock: Some of Aaron's ideas are definitely Treasure Type Kewl.

Jeff

Voriof said:
[

Jeff

Uh-oh. I recall some sort of injoke that DBC did with my username, somewhere in Clanking City. I wonder if Greg has an "Atgxtg" running around in Glorantha now? :shock:

Back