darth_azabrush said:
1984 is a good source of Paranoia plots but don't forget 2 Hours Till Doom later made into the comedy classic Dr Strangelove!

Are you sure about that? Cause I'm pretty sure Dr. Strangelove was based on the book Red Alert by Peter George.

Nothing personal just theres a list of title changes made for the hill billys

Licence to Kill was orginally Licence Revoked

Madness of King George III became Madness of King George just in case people thought it was the third part of a sequence!

The list goes on!

Note, mostly this is sarcastic irritation at best, I mean no harm, but I'm proud of my country despite it's problems.

"No offense" but at least spell "Hill Billy's" right if you are gonna be negative towards us. Where are you from? Tell me so I can dig up some obscure reference and use it to belittle your country.

I see no point in saying the words "No Offense" and then following up with a generalized statement like that. You may mean "no offense" but that doesn't make it any less ignorant. What am I supposed to do, laugh and say yeah I'm a Hillbilly? Every country has their "Hill Billy's."

See I admit my country has it's "Hill Billy's" but I tend to take offense when I'm so lazily lumped into that mold.

darth_azabrush said:
No offence meant no offence. I was targeting Hill Billies not Americans in general.
Sorry, I hate Hillbillies...been in too many barroom scraps thanks to them.

xombie said:
darth_azabrush said:
No offence meant no offence. I was targeting Hill Billies not Americans in general.
Sorry, I hate Hillbillies...been in too many barroom scraps thanks to them.

When Big Brother takes over, these worries will be no more...

I've been getting into dystopian movies and books. It's interesting to see how much Paranoia is drawn from these works. I kept on thinking of Paranoia when I was watching THX 1138 the other day.

Let's not get all snippy about the renaming of various films and books in the United States. This is commonly done of US films and books in other nations as well. In fact, Europeans have a pretty long history of renaming their own books when they are not "comfortable" with the title.

One of my favorites is that Dante's "Comedy" (the original title) was renamed "The Divine Comedy" because semi-literate European priests didn't realize what "comedy" was in literature. Technically, at the time it was written, there were only two "classifications" of stories: "comedies" and "tragedies". The only difference being that most of the protagonists in a "comedy" generally survived the story and that the story usually had a happy ending, and in a "tragedy" most of the protagonists died (in fact, usually, in a tragedy, pretty much everyone dies). That isn't to say there aren't any funny bits in tragedies, nor there aren't people dying in comedies.

Dante's "Comedy" depicts a guy wandering through the various layers of hell, then going through Purgatory, and finally ending up in Heavan, where he finds who he was looking for all along (his dead wife). Happy ending, ergo "comedy".

That, of course, wasn't enough for the European elite. I mean, gosh, how could one "laugh" about something so biblical?

Point being, "he who lives in a glass house...."

Back