10 Sagittarius Fleet - at Mongoose Towers

'Six Timbers' Reaverman said:
Just for clarification, what playing style do the US players favour?

We seem to get into range a lot faster. There tends to be less extravagent formations. A lot of hammer and anvil tactics. Getting in range does not seem to be an issue.

All of us tend to play on 4x6 foot tables, which makes a huge difference vs. the 4x4 tables.

Dave

Davesaint said:

We seem to get into range a lot faster. There tends to be less extravagent formations. A lot of hammer and anvil tactics. Getting in range does not seem to be an issue.

All of us tend to play on 4x6 foot tables, which makes a huge difference vs. the 4x4 tables.

Dave

Sounds like my tactics :wink:

katadder said:
one thing i wish is that narn ship busters were as powerful as earth heavy missiles, the missiles get precise, TD and 2" extra range over ship busters.

But the ship breakers tend to come with more AD, and you can short charge them.

As to the tactics, I tend to play over a 4'x 4' area. Keeps things nice and tight and you need to work to stay at range.

Yeah, I have tried pushing a few things around to see if 4x6 was really all that different than a 4x4. Mostly cause I want one in my living room and the smaller would fit nicer.

What I found was the smaller board does hurt the Minbari/Centauri/some Earthforce, more than others. Mainly it hurts in the set up phase. All the races that want to start at range have a decent initiative bonus and tend to set up second. This lets them us some long range tactics that I did not find available on the 4x4, or at least not as available.

For everyone else I found that the 4x4 could really hamper my drazi overuns. If I go for an overun I often need a good foot or two behind the enemy to make my turns without being under their rear guns. Just not enough side to side room on the four for that. The sharper turns keep me under fire from both rear guns and usually get me a turn under the front guns when I cannot respond due to tighter turning radius of most ships. A successful come about roll on the second turn can alleviate this but I hate to play on something that needs a 5-6 roll.

Ripple

Just reading ripples post, and wondered:

Does/has anyone played on a 5'x5' table? As this extends the ranges partially in all directions, without the expanses of a 6' long.

Most people are agressive in closing range it seems. Though the average US player tends towards the "powergamer" end of the spectrum more is the main difference IMHO. IE you're more likely to see fleets trying to exploit the rules. (based on what the UK players have said on here.)

Iain McGhee said:
I don't get how everyone seems to think the Sagittarius is some kind of "supership".

Play against it some time. 6AD of percise weapons... not so bad from one ship. Now figure you're facing 60AD. That will kill or crit out just about any non-ancient ship you can field. Of course those are 30" weapons. VS an all sag fleet you can pretty much count on losing your biggest ship turn one. You'll take out 1-2 of them most likely. Its almost impossible to just nibble at the edges without taking massive amount of return fire as they have 30" all around arcs. Loss of inititive isnt a huge deal for the fleet due to that. They can pretty much gaurantee they'll hit something

Individually they arent exactly "superships" but as a fleet they certainly are.

Geekybiker said:
Iain McGhee said:
I don't get how everyone seems to think the Sagittarius is some kind of "supership".

Play against it some time. 6AD of percise weapons... not so bad from one ship.

Basically swap the Slow-Loading for Beam, and you have the the weapon traits of the main armament of Sharlin Warcruiser.

Cap'n Silvereye said:
Basically swap the Slow-Loading for Beam, and you have the the weapon traits of the main armament of Sharlin Warcruiser.

Well, to be honest, beam is worth a heck of alot more than slow-loading, but I get your point. :D

Just trying to say what isnt overpowering with 1 ship being too powerful, is a big difference when you take alot of them. I think there is no way the Sag isnt a raid ship myself.

funny thing is the hyperion missile cruiser is still left in the early years fleet, now i wonder which to take, a hyperion missile cruiser or a sagi, not hard choice really is it.

katadder said:
funny thing is the hyperion missile cruiser is still left in the early years fleet, now i wonder which to take, a hyperion missile cruiser or a sagi, not hard choice really is it.

Especially since the Missle Hyperion can't take missle varrients.

I've got 4 of them in my EA fleet and have used Minbari and Brakiri against them. I virtually always only play campaign games, and that might well be a factor on limiting their supposed overpowered stats. As I've said before, I can see where there could be a problem in one-off or tournament games if someone fielded a fleet-load of them. That's why I'd like to see some sort of fleet composition rules to prevent unrealistic deployments (yes, I know it's a SF game based on a TV series :)) such as that. I use a rough version of this based on the old AOG ship rarity values.

Back