Zingaran Pirates - Arming sword or cutlass?

In your opinion what would zingaran pirates use, an arming sword, utilisiling racial bonuses and finesse in compliance with the flashy sword play that zingarans are famed for, or the favored weapon of historical pirates every where, a cutlass with a basket hilt so that when fighting below decks they are not hampered by its length.

In my opinion i would go for the flashy arming sword/finesse style with most of the zingaran freebooters as this style is what they are famed for, where as the Red Brotherhood would probaly use a cutlass.

What do you lot think?

Elaith the Serpant said:
In your opinion what would zingaran pirates use, an arming sword, utilisiling racial bonuses and finesse in compliance with the flashy sword play that zingarans are famed for, or the favored weapon of historical pirates every where, a cutlass with a basket hilt so that when fighting below decks they are not hampered by its length.

In my opinion i would go for the flashy arming sword/finesse style with most of the zingaran freebooters as this style is what they are famed for, where as the Red Brotherhood would probaly use a cutlass.

What do you lot think?

Arming swords among the upper-class of the pirates, while the rabble would likely use cutlasses. The difference in fighting styles would be a note of distinction between the crewmembers.

Don't forget this li'l fact about cutlasses and shipboard combat:

Cutlass: Cutlasses are shorter than broadswords but almost as heavy and damaging. For this reason they are much-used by pirates, who need a weapon that is not likely to get entangled in rigging or stuck in the low ceilings below decks. Any one-handed weapon other than the cutlass which is wielded in such a low-ceilinged environment is used with a -2 circumstance penalty.

Thats why I asked, because of the zingarans prefered fighting style and practicallity issue

Of course both arming swords and short swords are both shorter than a cutlass and are primarily thrusting rather then slashing weapons. I think either of your suggestions are fine, though most combat will take place aboard the deck of a ship and not below decks. The rigging part is VERY subjective to say the least, really depends on the type of ship.

For PC chars, I would allow them to have the +1 bonus to cutlass's, instead of arming swords, since it makes more sense. CUtlass's are a pirates weapon.

Murte said:
Of course both arming swords and short swords are both shorter than a cutlass and are primarily thrusting rather then slashing weapons.

Arming swords were typically around the 90 cm mark, cutlasses more like 75-80 cm. Shortswords of course are light weapons rather than one-handed.

Back