You Conan Players Out There--Which Forum Will We Follow???

Matt just confirmed that this forum is going to be merged into the Other Roleplaying Games forum as early as the end of this week (in THIS THREAD.)

My question to my fellow Conan players is...where will we go to discuss Conan?

The official Conan forums?

Will we stay here and use the Other Games Forum?

EN World?

Where??

Yeah, probably easiest to just to just keep it here.

Hopefully all the great threads from the past will be merged?

That would suck! :evil: To me, a merger to a clustered sub-forum would effectively dissolve to community. And this is a dame good community!

I have been thinking about starting an off-site sword & sorcery themed forum for some time, but I have been split between the different free forum servers (phpBB, YaBB, AtFreeForum, and so on). Or a name for that matter, as it would be a generalized sword & sorcery forum, with the Conan RPG as a sub-forum - one of a number of sub-forums (other games, novels, and the the like). I have never established a forum, but if I have enough following and support, I can see what I can get done. If I was to start one up, I would try to opt for as much user features as I can muster from the server, and I would be a rather laid back Administrator (I treat S&S is a mature genre, with a fairly mature fan-base). I find some servers with great features for individual users, posting options options (like custom emoticons, more BBCodes, and such), and even user groups.

Its a pipe-dream, but still... what do you all think about this? :?

That would be a great idea! It could be aimed at all S&S games out there, regardless of systems. I could see sections for Conan, Slaine, Stormbringer. The only problem is, administration might take some time. It's something I would have done myself in the past, but I have not enough free time. :cry:

I was fiddling around with phpBB demo system, and I'm really getting the hang of the admin functions. I can start one up at anytime - once I find a good name.

I got a lot of ideas going. On top of being a S&S forum with a Conan sub-forum, I also want to add a Supernatural Horrors (think Lovecraft) and a Planetary Romance (like A Princess of Mars and its clones) sub-forums (each with Gaming and Setting sub-pages), as well as pages for art & writing, TV & movies, books & comics, boardgames & video games, and such that are related to the above categories. I'm still thinking about the organization of the site. I could go for any suggestions.

Above all, I'm completely stumped on is what to name it. I can't start the site without one, and I hope to make it sound good. I'm welcome to any suggestions.

WEll pretty much the guys who are still posting now, wil very likely post in whatever forum you decide.
It might be a good idea to post your email so if you decide (and in case this forum gets subsumed into the mass forums) we will have a contact, or vice-versa zap us a pmail.
I'm game with however it works out.
I know that myself and Raindrath love the Conan via the 1st ed ADD, and there are those others who love the Conan 2.0, but with your own forum all conan hobbyists are welcome and not only those that subscribe to the Mongoose philosophy (although they have been very accomodating and excellent hosts, nonetheless).

It is a shame.
I'm 37 yrs old and this is the first company that I ever saw that valued customers more than the pound note/ dollar.
I have to say that I will always check Mongoose for new products and recommend friends to it as well.

I'm only occasionally present here nowadays but I'd certainly like this forum to live on, be it here or anyone else. So, if anyone cares, the idea of a new forum gets a thumbs up from me, too.

Spectator said:
WEll pretty much the guys who are still posting now, wil very likely post in whatever forum you decide.
It might be a good idea to post your email so if you decide (and in case this forum gets subsumed into the mass forums) we will have a contact, or vice-versa zap us a pmail.
I'm game with however it works out.
I know that myself and Raindrath love the Conan via the 1st ed ADD, and there are those others who love the Conan 2.0, but with your own forum all conan hobbyists are welcome and not only those that subscribe to the Mongoose philosophy (although they have been very accomodating and excellent hosts, nonetheless).

It is a shame.
I'm 37 yrs old and this is the first company that I ever saw that valued customers more than the pound note/ dollar.
I have to say that I will always check Mongoose for new products and recommend friends to it as well.
I hear you! This is one of the first online community I have joined, and I really enjoy it. That this the motivation for making the new community. I'm making the new community open-ended, because I know that we have more to offer then just d20 and the Hyborian Age setting.

I have extended the question on my modest little blog (hopefully I get a reply, two or more would be sweet). I also know folks from the old-school D&D community who are also hardcore S&S gamers.

My address is: zen_darkstar@yahoo.com

After listening to some songs by Bal-Sagoth, I had the idea to look-up some titles for a good name. After looking through Bal-Sagoth, REH, and Lovecraft titles, I came up with these:

- Altar of the Dreaming Gods
- House of Om
- Out of the Æons
- Silent Chambers of the Sapphirean Throne
- Dreamer in the Catacombs of Ur

So what do you guys think? I'm still open to other ideas.

Malcadon said:
- House of Om
- Out of the Æons

The first one sounds most appropriate for a forum, but they're all pretty cool.

-Children of the Sun

Hi guys.:)

Start from now:
Put 'CONAN:' in the Title of any new topic that you post...

[ eg. 'CONAN: Contact and new Forum Information' ]

That way, all your latest Conan rpg posts will be easy to find/read after they are all merged into the
'Other games' forum here.
--
And, try using the
'Conan in RPGs -' forum [ on the Official Conan site ]...

http://www.conan.com/invboard/index.php?showforum=5

--
> You can set up your very own new
FREE FORUM...

http://www.invisionfree.com/

It is very good. [ but fiddly to setup and tweak ] :)

[ here is an example forum which we set up for a team of writers. you have to join to read our posts.
but your forum can be set up for anyone to read.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BVAGT_Writers_Forum/index.php?act=idx

-- ]
I like reading your rpg posts. [ i have not got time to play these days ]

My thanks and best wishes to all Conan fans and all Mongoose staff.
You are the greatest ! :)

Now that's a pretty cool idea. I'm not frequenting the rest of the mongoose forums anyway, so I wouldn't mind migrating to a private-owned forum.
I suggest making it a general S&S themed forum; of course Conan will always be a major player in that genre.

Malcadon said:
After listening to some songs by Bal-Sagoth, I had the idea to look-up some titles for a good name. After looking through Bal-Sagoth, REH, and Lovecraft titles, I came up with these:

- House of Om
- Out of the Æons

So what do you guys think? I'm still open to other ideas.
They seem all very specific to a setting, with the except of the third. I still vouch for my idea "Weird Worlds" :wink:

I would have replied sooner, but I could not accesses the Mongoose site (it still is acting funny).

I have been in contact with Thulsa, and he had the idea of running the new community though xoth.net, with me as co-admin. After some back and forth, he suggested this layout:

Fiction (the fluff - organized by setting/genre)
- The Hyborian Age
- Sword and Sorcery
- Sword and Planet (Science Fantasy)
- Sword and Sandal (Historical Fantasy)

Games (the crunch - organized by game system)
- The Conan RPG
- Sword & Sorcery in the PathFinder RPG
- Sword & Sorcery in First Edition and Retro-clones
- Rules-Lite Games (Barbarians of Lemuria, etc.)

Miscellaneous (everything else)
- Play-by-post and adventure logs
- Reviews
- Books and movies
- Workshop (your own creations, anything goes)
- Off-topic

It looks good so far, but it I think it still a work (maybe change Rules-Lite to Other, or merge Conan RPG with S&S in PathFinder, and something else I can put my finger on). I like the general layout, as it allows for a wider range of fans, and allows for each subject to be focused without stumbling over each other. That is, there is a place for folks who only care about books akin to The (Return to the) Road of Kings, while there are places for folks who want to talk about particular system without having to pick through treads unrelated to their preferred system.

Thulsa suggested "The Shadow Kingdom" (named after the REH tale), while someone at the Original D&D Discussion group suggested "Weird Tales and Astounding Stories", and "Leng and Lemuria". Thulsa also suggested that we should have a poll for the new name - I would have to make a new thread for that (I'm counting 9 names so far, hopefully this site allows for that many).

Malcadon said:
I have been in contact with Thulsa, and he had the idea of running the new community though xoth.net, with me as co-admin.

Excellent idea, if we can get some traffic. I think not making it specific to Conan will enourage more input.

Thulsa suggested "The Shadow Kingdom" (named after the REH tale), while someone at the Original D&D Discussion group suggested "Weird Tales and Astounding Stories", and "Leng and Lemuria". Thulsa also suggested that we should have a poll for the new name - I would have to make a new thread for that (I'm counting 9 names so far, hopefully this site allows for that many).

In the end, it doesn't matter what its called. But, in truth, I like some of the names you posted above better than The Shadow Kingdom.

We need something that speaks to Sword & Sorcery, and although the "Shadow Kingdom" is an REH tale, it doesn't sound that specific to someone not in the know. I mean, "the Shadow Kingdom" could be a forum that focuses on D&D thieves or features Middle Earth. Something like "Tales of Steel and Shadow" would be more fitting, I think.

Steel represents the the blade, of course.

Shadow not only represents dark magic of a S&S tale, but also the gritty, dark atmosphere of most S&S tales.

I still like "Altar of the Dreaming Gods", too, because it can mean so many things.

Altar - is the forum in which we speak of such things.

Dreaming Gods - not only refers to the authors of S&S works, but also the GMs..and the player's too.

So, I think ALTAR OF THE DREAMING GODS is most appropriate.

Of all the names, I like Altar of the Dreaming Gods and Out of the Æons - more so the first. They are both are vary evocative, but Altar of the Dreaming Gods suggests a place were there are gods, but not to the point were they meddle in human affairs, akin to what Conan told Belit in that epic pillow in Queen of the Black Coast. A place were man is best off without a pro-active pantheon, as they make their own way in the world. Plus, it sounds like something Lovecraft or Howard might write (in truth, it was Howard, but the ambiguous, little-known title evokes visions of both). Well, that is my opinion.

I hope folks can find this place, has I have been having trouble just getting in.

I'd be willing to host this if other plans don't work out for you, but I don't want to do the day-to-day admin stuff since I don't even play the game (but I do own many of the RPG books). I can set it up, install phpbb3, and do one of the free themes though, which will get you started.

I already host some other REH related stuff, like thecimmerian.com (inactive), borderkingdom.com (inactive), and robertehowarddirectory.com, as well as have a few other Hyborianish projects in development.

I have some Hyborian related domain names sitting around that may be of interest to move this forum to, though none of them really cry out "community RPG site".

Let me know if you're interested in this.

How about "World of Heroes"?

http://www.amazon.com/World-Heroes-Drama-Robert-Howard/dp/1854870017/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288723763&sr=8-3

Edit: Oh, Border Kingdoms has a good ring to it too. You must have been posting while I was.

Back