Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arachnids

• Skinnies

• Total voters

KJ

Mongoose
Now that EVERYONE (except byram) has had a chance to play the official release version of the game and start learning their chosen army's strengths and weaknesses, I'm curious to know who's getting the upper hand in your battles -Arachnids, MI or Skinnies (if anyone's playing them yet).

To start the ball rolling, I've played two games - one as Bugs (1250 pts) and one as MI (1600 points) - and been on the winning side for both games (voted for an MI win only, as that's my favorite army).

Sound off, you apes!

I've played 3 games, with 2 MI wins and one "loss", but KJ cheated in that loss so I don't count it :p Tunnel 12" and still be able to emerge and attack my arse! Teaches me not to read the arachnid tunneling rules.

3 Games

Bugs 2
MI 1

Two Bug wins very close, MI win lot 2 Troopers out of 7, killed 15 Bugs.

Lee

One proper game so far - after many rule tests.

Squad of 8 MI and Squad of 5 MI vs 25 Warriors (+ 2 tunnels and 2 entrances) and 4 Hoppers.

This 625pt Priority 1 Clash seemed to always come up with a Hold v Hold strategy. Guess there aren't enough troops on either side to be anything else.

Smaller MI squad came in on reserve in 2nd turn and jumped into rapidly emptying Bug side of table (all warriors heading for bigger squad, both under and overground) killing 3 warriors during the jump. Hoppers unit then did a 'Hover-by' attack and nailed 3 of the 5, the Sarg making his Dodge save, and him and the remaining trooper took out 1 Hopper and 2 more Warriors before getting chopped. This put the Warrior unit of 8 down below half strength and eventually won the game for the MI.

That and the astutely-place (ready lucky) artillery-fired Javelin missile from the other squad that killed all 5 warriors in it's lethal zone.

Final score something like 570pts for the bugs vs 600 for the MI.

I think that the Hoppers should probably have headed for the bigger (and more expensive) MI unit. they might have gone down but they would have given the Warriors more of a chance to close in.

Grah

mi have been winning all the early games, but the bugs are startinmg to turn the tide, its just exsperiance,,,, that and adding hoppers and fire flies is helping a bit. as the points allowance goese up the bugs get better.

This is going to swing all over the place over the first few months of the game's release. People are going to start figuring out how to use their armies and then a new unit will become available which will skew results again.

The next big jump will be the introduction of the Hopper Bugs (though the Marauders will be pretty funky too). The Hoppers really add a whole new dimension to the Arachnids. The next major jump after that will be the Tanker and, especially, the Plasma. The latter will have the MI screaming for cover/heavy support! Alex swears by them, even foregoing tunnels to squeeze at least one into his army.

Things will begin to settle down after that as players get the real feel of their armies and then begin constructing their own tactics - we reckon it is going to be at least 6-7 months before any real 'experts' emerge in this game.

And then we'll hold a tournament to see just how good you chaps are :)

swears by them, even foregoing tunnels to squeeze at least one into his army.

I'm on a one-man crusade to prove that tunnels are not necessary for a bug player (they're really good, but not vital for a bug player to win).

Oh, and I want to play in the tournament this time :)

2 to arachnids, 1 to MI. however my opponent didn't really know rules so all the wins were mine as he kept swapping army's

1 win for the MI. Of course the deck was loaded so to speak as we were playing a MI vs. MI training mission. (Neither of us had enough bugs assembled to play). 8)

FYI it seems nobody can dismantle a MI platoon like another MI platoon. What a slaughter! :twisted:

Hey, byram is not the only poor soul without the set. I neglected to preorder mine soon enough, so now I am faced witht the horrible predicament of waiting for a few days to recieve my MI, all the while reading the constant posting about ppl recieving their sets. NOT FUN! CONSIDER YOURSELVES LUCKY!

MI-4 Bugs-1

I think hoppers are going to make a BIG difference. Also, the 1 win for the bugs was when they were fielded at Priority Level 2 and had a Camo Tunnel. Big Ouch for the MI. A full 8 Strong MI squad landed smack dab ON THE SPOT of the hidden hole. Talk about a bad day to be a trooper.

:shock: -Kirkmex

As mentioned in another thread, the MI are 3-0 v the Bugs. None of the games were close. Haven't tried the Skinnies yet.

2 - 1 MI

In all three games I played the hoppers had a major impact and created problems (indeed have caused most casualties per point invested in them by some way).

The different bug types deifintely make the game more balanced, but the Marauders can raise merry hell on the bnug forces.

I've been playing with the bugs, and getting a general pasting!! but I'm sure I'll suss something out!

Anton

Oiy-vey! Ok, so I normally play MI, and I usually(being the key word) won. Then I decided to switch sides with my bro and play with the Arachnids. Good god. I decided to play using attack tactics, and then in my list I had a concealed tunnel and a nest aswell as 2 tunnel markers and 2 normal entrances. 20 warriors and 2 units of hoppers( a 3 and a 4) it came to exactly 1000 pts. and was PL 2. I just deployed the Hoppers, two tunnel markers, and a tunnel entrance in my deployment zone. then he deployed as FAR back as possible. I then deployed the rest of my tunnel assets. The nest went right next to his MI. and the other entrance and the camoflauged entrances were placed across the board edge of his in about 12" breaks between them. He was trapped before first turn. From their it was mop up. 50% of my army( A.K.A 10 warriors, which is actually less than 50% were in reserve) 1st turn I did nothing. He jumped AWAY from my Nest, but not fast enough. I deployed 7 of the warriors(due to hole size restrictions not all could make it up.) and they immediately charged and killed 3 CAP troopers. Reaction fire kills 3 warriors. Charge again, and this time 6 MI die, youch! That leaves 3 CAP troops and a marauder against my WHOLE army, excluding 3 warriors. So my staement to the crowd is this: How the hell do you counter this ridiculous strategy without basing the whole army around it. Also, if this is such a potent strategy(which it is) why aren't more Arachnid players doin' it? Dunno, but I know one thing...I'm scared as hell of bugs....BUGS! AHHHH! :lol: :shock: :p

Blackavar said:
1st turn I did nothing. He jumped AWAY from my Nest, but not fast enough. I deployed 7 of the warriors(due to hole size restrictions not all could make it up.) and they immediately charged and killed 3 CAP troopers. Reaction fire kills 3 warriors. Charge again, and this time 6 MI die, youch! That leaves 3 CAP troops and a marauder against my WHOLE army, excluding 3 warriors. So my staement to the crowd is this: How the hell do you counter this ridiculous strategy without basing the whole army around it. Also, if this is such a potent strategy(which it is) why aren't more Arachnid players doin' it? Dunno, but I know one thing...I'm scared as hell of bugs....BUGS! AHHHH! :lol: :shock: :p

How were you able to get your bugs in so quickly? Even under ground they have to start in your deployment area and move towards the hidden entrances if he was in back of his deployment area (say 18" to 24" from where your bugs can start) it should take you several turns under ground to get to him. Plenty of time to get a reasonable distance from the holes or plug them with Plasma Munitions.

This brings up a question, if bugs can use both of their actions for movement when heading towards an entrance or other tunneling marker (12" total) but can only move half as fast as they have to take a Ready Action to tunnel when not heading towards an entrance or other unit, how do I have them move towards a hidden entrance at full speed without giving away where the hidden entrance is?

Conan said:
This brings up a question, if bugs can use both of their actions for movement when heading towards an entrance or other tunneling marker (12" total) but can only move half as fast as they have to take a Ready Action to tunnel when not heading towards an entrance or other unit, how do I have them move towards a hidden entrance at full speed without giving away where the hidden entrance is?

Make sure you can trace a straight line between a known tunnel entrance or tunneling marker and your concealed tunnel entrance. Rmember that you can move directly towards or away from an existing marker. :wink:

KJ said:
Make sure you can trace a straight line between a known tunnel entrance or tunneling marker and your concealed tunnel entrance. Rmember that you can move directly towards or away from an existing marker. :wink:

Right but it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where my hidden entrance is if I'm making a bee line for it (or away from it).

Back