Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• No Opinion

• Total voters

ZJW

Mongoose
It seems to me, given the releases coming out, that SST might be moving to include skirmish rules of some sort. Veteran CAP troopers, Roughnecks Army books and minis, all indicate the possibility of smaller scale games and battles with individual troopers.

I fervently hope that this is the case. SST and Roughnecks always felt like they underscored the individual personalities of the soldiers. I, for one, would love to have rules for naming individual models, customizing them, buying them special abilities and having them grow and progress over time.

Any hey, if you've got skirmish rules, it should be easy to have some sort of conversation rules for use with the SST RPG?

Right?

Can I get an "AMEN!" from the choir!?! :D :D :D :D :D :D

I do not want that to happen, Having the game as just grunts and bugs makes the game better than all that other crap out there.

I love SST but won't commit to the game because of the number of models needed. But, if a skirmish version comes out, I'm the first one there. :D

Or, not even a full game. Just optional rules used for indivudal model cutomization and growth. Rules for named models and extra-special Heroic Traits for them. Perhaps a few small senerios.

And....

CONVERSION RULES FOR THE RPG!!!

...ahem

That is all.

ZJW said:
Or, not even a full game. Just optional rules used for indivudal model cutomization and growth. Rules for named models and extra-special Heroic Traits for them. Perhaps a few small senerios.
And....
CONVERSION RULES FOR THE RPG!!!
...ahem
That is all.

Well, how about we come up with some here then? Something similar to Kill team?

Let's see...

MI Skirmish Squad -> Same as normal Cap Trooper squad, but each model can be upgraded with heroic traits...

Nah, I want more than that. I want rules that make named models special. I want to gain experience points so that my special troopers can buy different weapons/abilities, etc.

Maybe it doesn't need to be a skirmish type rules set, but I would really like to see rules on how to make specific models (even lowly Pvts.) unique.

ZJW said:
Nah, I want more than that. I want rules that make named models special. I want to gain experience points so that my special troopers can buy different weapons/abilities, etc.

Maybe it doesn't need to be a skirmish type rules set, but I would really like to see rules on how to make specific models (even lowly Pvts.) unique.

Well don't jsut stand there...start making rules for it...I can't do eveything, can I?

ZJW said:

just make sure you apply the rules across the board. meaning you would also need to establish rules for bugs to do the same thing or the game become quickly unbalanced.

Hiromoon said:
MI Skirmish Squad -> Same as normal Cap Trooper squad, but each model can be upgraded with heroic traits...

nah, cap troopers wouldn't form much of a "kill team"... maybe veteran cap troopers, but more likely you would see pathfinders to do the dirty work ;)

I think it would be cool to have a system like this, right now I have been looking at two hour wargames (http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/index.html) Chain Reaction 2, which seems very simple, has rules for all sorts of stuff including SST style gameplay, and character development, it might be possible to integrate the character development somehow into SST....

veon said:
Hiromoon said:

nah, cap troopers wouldn't form much of a "kill team"... maybe veteran cap troopers, but more likely you would see pathfinders to do the dirty work ;)

I think it would be cool to have a system like this, right now I have been looking at two hour wargames (http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/index.html) Chain Reaction 2, which seems very simple, has rules for all sorts of stuff including SST style gameplay, and character development, it might be possible to integrate the character development somehow into SST....

Good point!

UMW said:
I love SST but won't commit to the game because of the number of models needed. But, if a skirmish version comes out, I'm the first one there. :D

you can already play SST with the Judge Dredd rules. All they really are is skirmish rules for the SST system. Yeah, you'd have to experiment a little, but overall you shouldn't have much trouble doing it. But I think they should have an official version because it makes the games system cheaper and more flexible.

Actually, if you just want to play smaller games, it doesn't require many models. On MI squad is easily in the 400 to 500 pt range, and some hoppers and warriors get you to 500 pretty quick. Throw in a tanker, hoppers and warriors, and you are there.

I think you can play SST as is for well under $100.

Way way back as SST was just being released, one of the mongoose staff either said that they were experimenting with a skirmish version, or obviously hinted at it. There's been no word of it since, but I recall it involved MI going down into bug tunnels and such.

Maybe it'll be a bit like spacehulk?

Turtle said:
Maybe it'll be a bit like spacehulk?

Now there is an AWESOME game. I love this game, it is fantastic. I still play it every now and then and even after all this time, and literally several hundred games of it, it still generates excitement and fully engages the mind. I have even made my own board sections and rooms filled with sci-fi "terrain". What a top notch game.

If they do make something like Space Hulk I will certainly buy it.

i would too, perhaps a tunnel fighting suppliment when the rules are cleared up?

after all you have the pathfinders which are rather directly quoted as infiltrating tunnel systems and causing mayhem.

Some Tunnel Rat rules or even a full-on game (Space Hulk-esque) would suit this universe quite well. The Bug tunnels just seem to cry out for this type of game play...does the the Pathfinder Army book have any rules to address gameplay rules for tunnel-only games?

As for "skirmish" rules that would allow your characters to increase in levels and have more-detailed combat characteristics, how would all that differ from the RPG? Just curious...becuase having read the rulebook, the rpg game almost seems to lend itself better to highly detailed skirmishes with specific mission objectives than full-on rpg adventures (at least until more source books and stuff come out).

G&T

I like the tunnel rat idea.

I'd ideally like any skirmish rules to be quite simple and quick play; a fun half to one hour tops, quick-death game to play after your SST game.

I'd like to see it go to the beer and pretzels side rather than the super-detailed.

But that's just me. What would other folks like to see from SST skirmish?

Back