Who shall give us the first impression of the new edition?

Bump!

Yes,are there many changes about the races and the classes? Is the feats and skills allocation the same for each or were there any change?

Belkregos said:
can anyone say what new races appear on the book?

Only got my book today, but based purely on having my 1st (non-Atlantean) edition book open alongside the new edition, there are no new races in there - just the ones that were in the earlier book.

caldan said:
Have the combat rules changed in any way, grapple for example?

Caldan - yep, the grapple rules have changed slightly, grab and hold have been condensed into a single check against the opponent's grapple defence for example.

InfinityDoctor said:
Belkregos said:

Only got my book today, but based purely on having my 1st (non-Atlantean) edition book open alongside the new edition, there are no new races in there - just the ones that were in the earlier book.

Is the Iranistan race included?

Anyone in the States gotten a copy yet? I have not yet seen one on the shelf and none of the online stores have copies yet.

MGBM said:
InfinityDoctor said:
Belkregos said:

Is the Iranistan race included?

Nope, they're not in the races section.

The King said:
Bump!

Yes,are there many changes about the races and the classes? Is the feats and skills allocation the same for each or were there any change?

Ok, bear in mind I've always been using the 1st edition, not the Atlantean edition, so some of the changes I'm seeing may have already been in Atlantean...

With regard to the races, I'm seeing mostly minor tweaks - the addition of Knowledge(Local) to the background skills for some races and skill choices to allow characters to avoid their stereotype a little - for example, an Argossean character can be given Survival instead of Profession(Sailor) if he's not from a sea-faring background, or Gundermen can choose between Craft(Weaponsmith) and Knowledge(Military Tactics). Similarly, the Chaga get other selection options for their bonus feat outside of the original two.

As for the classes, obviously the Temptress has been added as core class, although the level based class features are a little different from those in Hyboria's Fallen - the new Secret Art replaces Sneak Attack at Level 3, for example, (although Sneak Attack is an optional selection within Secret Art).

Of the other classes, they don't seem to have changed any, feature selection wise, apart from Soldier, which gets the new (and escalating) Officer ability.

Skill allocation, I'll need to a look at a bit more closely. Barbarian hasn't changed, but thats about all I can say at the minute. Similarly, while I checked the Class Tables to spot the differences, I haven't compared, in depth, the class feature write-ups between the two books, so there may be changes or clarifactions in the actual text.

Obviously, I haven't read the book cover to cover yet, but I'm not really expecting major changes in the earlier chapters, I'm expecting them in Combat and Sorcery. I'll let you know when I get there.

I thank you for the short review, InfinityDoctor.

Still I am puzzled how Mongoose could add 70 pages, even if there are 5-6 for the temptress.

The King said:
I thank you for the short review, InfinityDoctor.

Still I am puzzled how Mongoose could add 70 pages, even if there are 5-6 for the temptress.

Well, the layout is obviously a bit different, and I think the font size is a bit bigger (unless thats just my eyesight), but on the other hand, there aren't as many quotes from the Conan books scattered amongst the text. A lot of what I've seen so far is clarification or minor revision rather than any major changes, but thats not a bad thing.

Its hard to point to one thing and say "They added 5 pages here", because its a lot more evenly distributed than that - a line here, a paragraph there...

The combat chapter definitely has more in the way of better explanation (with diagrams in some cases), and offers optional rules like weapon breakage from parrying, plus my personal favourite - simplified Attacks of Opportunity, which offers a nice alternative to the over-complicated "Off-side Rule" of rpgs.

This second edition is a revision, rather than a complete rebuild. Its not like the difference between the Star Wars Revised Core Rulebook and Star Wars Saga Edition, for example, its more like the difference between the original Star Wars Core Rulebook and the Revised Core Rulebook. It adds a couple of new things and clears up a lot of others. Its not a completely new game, but that wasn't the intention (at least I don't think it was).

Personally, I'm happy with it.

Ok, so it's an improved Atlantean Edition. Was is then necessary to stop the entire Conan production for so many months if we only come up with clarified rules.
I hope Mongoose will then compensate and releas 3 books every 2 months. :p

Don't be disheartened, there is some new stuff in there and the clarifications are useful, its just not a brand new system. Also, remember that what I've posted above is based on an initial skim-through, I'm still reading the book, so other things may present themselves once I get chance to digest things properly.

As a final caveat - its been about six months since I've run Conan, so I might not actually spot all of the new stuff, I was just trying to answer people's specific questions. I'm sure folks with a more current knowledge of the earlier edition and supplements will be able to present a better overview when they get their copies.

:)

Indeed, thanks InfinityDoctor.
You've helped me decide to pick up my copy at Colours next weekend.

Ralph

The King said:
Ok, so it's an improved Atlantean Edition. Was is then necessary to stop the entire Conan production for so many months if we only come up with clarified rules.
I hope Mongoose will then compensate and releas 3 books every 2 months. :p

My understanding is that they stoped it to start a Runequest version of Conan. Since it was rejected (by the players ?) but they already announced the 2nd edition, they produce another revised edition.

That explains the production stop and the fact that this 2nd edition is not that different than AE.

The real new edition (in a sense of "far more updated rules") will come with the 4E compatible that they'll produce, either because of customer pressure or just because 4E may be really good. :)

W.

warzen said:
That explains the production stop and the fact that this 2nd edition is not that different than AE.
W.
It doesn't explain anything. In december last year, Matt already told there would be no Conan under Runequest rules. So don't tell me they needed so long to produced an advanced Atlantean edition.
But even without this, it is easy to convert a system once everything is written.
Thus what surprises me is that it seems there was nothing ready all this time.

They probably just wanted to get it as right as possible with nothing else in the way. They opted to not develop anything else but Conan:2ed, that's all, if you ask me...

Because they wrote it all in the new book. All the different stuff is in there. (lol)

Seriously, even when referencing the old book, noone writes down the difference between the old and the change. They just make the change and roll on. They probably paid very close attention to getting things as right as possible, setting aside all other projects to do it.

And this is the thanks they get...

:roll:

See taht blue link in my signature? It's there because I went through both the first edition and AE and wrote every difference myself. :wink:

Back