Who shall give us the first impression of the new edition?

Speaking of crits, I'll be using the Gamemastery Critical Hit Decks for crits in the Conan game. Seems a very effective means for the PCs to cause chaos and mayhem...

Check them out at http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizo/products/v5748btpy7wv9 .

Basically if you confirm a crit, you pull a card and use its effects. Each card is labeled for bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, and magical damage. If you have a x3 crit modifier, you draw 2 cards and apply the effect you prefer (and 3 for x4, etc.).

Prof.Dogg said:
Speaking of crits, I'll be using the Gamemastery Critical Hit Decks for crits in the Conan game. Seems a very effective means for the PCs to cause chaos and mayhem...

Check them out at http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizo/products/v5748btpy7wv9 .

Basically if you confirm a crit, you pull a card and use its effects. Each card is labeled for bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, and magical damage. If you have a x3 crit modifier, you draw 2 cards and apply the effect you prefer (and 3 for x4, etc.).

Well if I want really nasty crits I'd use the Rolemaster combat system. It's not more complicated than drawing cards and rolling damage.

Prof.Dogg said:

I've actually thought of using those too. I'm not sure whether all mooks should have access to those, or if they should be limited to major villains and player characters.

Raf Blutaxt said:
Well if I want really nasty crits I'd use the Rolemaster combat system. It's not more complicated than drawing cards and rolling damage.

I played RM solid for 12 years till d20 seemed to have lured all the old ICE game designers over. I really think that d20 was a notable attempt to make the game that RM was trying to go for. But you're right... If they only had the crit charts...

Majestic7 said:
I've actually thought of using those too. I'm not sure whether all mooks should have access to those, or if they should be limited to major villains and player characters.

Per the rules, Mooks shouldn't get them and I think that's a fair rule. It gives the PCs and major NPCs some power there...

Well, I have been told by friends in the UK that the book is NOT really a new edition, just basically a revision. The changes are suttle, not really giving me the reasons I was looking for to buy the book.

As far as they put it, the whole amount of changes could have added to a PDF. Not another book...

I have NO intention of getting it, now. WHATSOEVER...

ATLANTEAN EDITION WILL STAY ON MY SHELF and be the rules I follow, as will all the supplements..

On the plus Side - I like that is a bit crisper and easier to find things...
I also like the improved border...and not just for what may be the obvious reason. I like some of the tweaks I've found (well, most)

On the Minus Side - I'm a fan of color. I'm one of the rare breed who would have paid more for color.

The interier cover map makes the book covers bow out a bit. I think this was because I bought the book at Gen Con and it was a rush job at Kinko's. Future copies shouldn't do this. Nothing else looks rushed about it.

Why...oh...why...did you put a note about mature audiences on the cover, make the border art (and the breasts displayed there) more realistic and then...not show any other breasts throughout the whole book? I'm mystified by that. Either have a border that had her covered and not limit potential sales because of it...or commision some art for the interior that takes advantage of the maturity. It just seems strange that the only offending artwork was on the border.

Finally - Any book like this should have a 'What's changed' section. Shame on you for not having it. This is my most serious minus. I suggest, heavily, that NOT alot has changed, and most of you won't want to buy it for that reason.

Overall, I like it, but then again, I'm a bit twisted anyway...

Questions about 2nd Ed:

1. Is the sorcery section 'complete'. Meaning are the first edition Scrolls of Skelos rules rolled into the basic sorcery rules?

2. Are the terrain rules from Hyborians Fiercest in the new core book?

My only complaint about the 1st ed series is that you had to flip thru several books for information that should have been in the core book. If this isnt fixed in 2E, then there's probably not a reason for me to buy it.

I can't imagine we've waited for more than 6 months to discover there is so few things which have changed.
This is no reproach per se but perhaps some Conan books could have been released in the meanwhile. (and what about the next regional sourcebooks?).

The King said:
I can't imagine we've waited for more than 6 months to discover there is so few things which have changed.

How is it possible to have so few changes with a +100 page count difference ?

W.

warzen said:

W.

THough I do not have the book, it is possible with print type, graphics, border art, and "Fluff" in the text to add 100 pages...

They did add one class from the F series as a core class.

From what I was told "AGAIN" it is NOT a second edition, it is a REVISION.. Just like Atlantean Edition was the original release...

I haven't gone through the rules, but the 100+ pages seems to be mearly an addition of the larger beastiary and a more comprehensive gazateer.

Hmm. Even if the Second Edition turns out to be just a rewrite that I don't find useful myself, I hope that it sells a lot. It is nice if new players will find the grim joys of Hyboria and get to tell dark tales of bloody swords and sinister sorcery. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to browse a copy and make up my mind soon.

warzen said:
The King said:

W.
AE is 352 pages and Conan 2.0 is 420 pages

Is there anything in AE that was left out of C2e? I'd like to know if it's worth ditching the old book when I get the new book.

It has been said that 2e has more stuff from the SRD. Now, there are people who had their first glimpse of d20 when they got Conan, like me for instance. So, I was wondering, for someone who doesn't have any D&D 3.5 books, what these additions are, and if they are in 2e in fact. Anyone who has the books would be so kind to enlighten us about this?

Just adding a load of stuff from the SRD might have been 20 or so pages right there. There was a lot of that basic information mission in both 1st and AE editions - torches and fall damage, for instance.

I'm another who's also really interested in specific improvements (or lack thereof) like fixes to grapple and defensive blast. Are there rules like the advanced mounted combat or mass combat included in 2ed? Obviously, simple upgrades like the expansion of Lotus descriptions now take up a whole page instead of half of one, so what else has been expanded graphically as opposed to expanded with actual content?

I may pick up a copy today...or at least look it over, but if someone can give me a scoop, that's be great.

Back