Who are those guys???

ShadowScout

Mongoose
OK, this time I'll take a look at one of the big questions in B5.
Everyone knoes the "What do you Want?" and "Who are you?" questions, but few pay attention to the "Who are those guys?" kind of questions.
Let's be honet, while most here will know the "big four" at sight (Centauri; Humans -duh-; Minbari; Narn), as well as recognize the more important League races (Abbai; Brakiri; Drazi; Gaim; Hyach; Pak'ma'ra; Vree). Those who pay attanetion will also remember how some of the other spacefaring races look like (Dilgar; Drakh; Golians; Grome; Hurr; Llort; Lumati; Markab; Moradi; Shag'Toth; Streib; Thrakallans; Yolu), and maybe even know the faces of some very minor species (Emphili; Ikaarans; Kandarians; Lorkans; Raugans; Thalatine; Zanderians)

So far, so good.

But who can show me how the Alacans, Antareans; Balosians; Cascor; Ch'lonas; Deneth; Descari; Ipsha (actually there are two conflicting pieces of data about them - a picture from the CCG and a description from AoG); Kor-Lyans; Koulani; Krish, Mitoc; Tikar; Toratha; Tokati; or any of the Minbari Protectorate species look like?

On the other hand, there Are several distinctive yet unnamed races walking through the background during the episodes of Babylon 5.

How come noone so far has officially matched the available visuals with some racial names? (Well, OK, I realize none of the prior licenseholders had much reason to do that - TBP-RPG never came that far, and B5W & Sierra cared about ships, not faces...)

Anyway, has anyone else thought about this? I did some - mostly matching a picture from the show to the closest description (like "oh, the thug that was assassinated while working for G'Kar in "The Parliament of Dreams" looked like a big ape, the Descari are said to be ape-like, maybe he was a Descari...

Comments?

I agree. I've been reading about some of those races in the Galaxy Guide and I don't know whether they've been in the show or not.

Yep, I would love to have a picture attached to those races. I recognize most of them, but can't say how they look like.

Trakis from "Born to the Purple" was meant to be a Golian (can't remember the source for that).

Ditto Na'Grath as a Thrkallans(sp?).

But nope, I can't think of the missing ones.

From AoG fluff, the Kor-Lyans are a joined symbiote race, the dumb host being apelike so maybe the G'kar's "thug"?

Didn't the Babylon Project give some description of the Coulani and Ch'lonas in the GM's shield (they were pretty much CE's invention...)? Not got it to hand though so can't check :(

We will be tying all of this up soon - just waiting for the final nod from WB about a certain B5-related project. . .

frobisher said:
Didn't the Babylon Project give some description of the Coulani and Ch'lonas in the GM's shield (they were pretty much CE's invention...)? Not got it to hand though so can't check :(

I have it (gotta love e-bay) and yes it does give blurb on these races but no physical description or pictures of the species. It does have very small pictures of one ship type from each race but no stats other than the name.

msprange said:
We will be tying all of this up soon - just waiting for the final nod from WB about a certain B5-related project. . .

Intriguing, JMS has said that TMoS has died so what might this"B5-Related Project" be?

LBH

frobisher said:

Na'Grath a Thrakallan? Where did you hear or read that? I'm pretty sure that Na'Grath's race still hasn't been identified in an official product. And "Signs and Portents" isn't any more detailed, it just says something like he's from an insectoid race.

lastbesthope said:
Intriguing, JMS has said that TMoS has died so what might this"B5-Related Project" be?

Another Mongoose B5 rpg book, perhaps?

That's what it sounds like anyways. Mongoose books have to be approved by WB, hence the nod Matt mentioned. :wink:

frobisher said:
Trakis from "Born to the Purple" was meant to be a Golian (can't remember the source for that).
That's why they are mentioned in the line "Those who pay attanetion will also remember how some of the other spacefaring races look like (Dilgar; Drakh; Golians; Grome; Hurr; Llort; Lumati; Markab; Moradi; Shag'Toth; Streib; Thrakallans; Yolu)" :wink: :D

msprange said:
GREAT!

Wow! A supplement on the obscure races and another for the Ancients races are the ones I'm most eagerly waiting for.
Bring it on, but take your time to do it right and please provide pictures for each and all of them.
Thanks in advance.

A few years ago there was a B5 CD-ROM that gave you a guide to the station and ships, weapons, etc. It also showed all (well about a dozen+) ambassadors from the League worlds with backgrounds on their societies.

Very useful for finding out who was who!! :lol:

DW

A few years ago there was a B5 CD-ROM that gave you a guide...
...that gave you the ambassadors of all the really major races, I know.
All those faces are included in my first statement (after all, that's where i first found a face to match the Hurr or Grome).
But still nothing on the races I cited as "being faceless".

(so no reason to despair if someone didn't get the CD back then)

school said:
frobisher said:

Na'Grath a Thrakallan? Where did you hear or read that? I'm pretty sure that Na'Grath's race still hasn't been identified in an official product. And "Signs and Portents" isn't any more detailed, it just says something like he's from an insectoid race.

He was identified as such in either the CD-ROM or one of the novels. The GG uses this identification.

Back