Which Novels?

Eryx

Mongoose
I have the Passing of the Technomages trilogy, and I want to get a hold of the important novels.But which are they?

So which books deal with the Telepath War and the Drakh/Centauri Prime?

Any others that you guys would consider I get and why?

I notice a lot of folks talking about Dreaming in the City of Sorrow (correct title?), whats that one about?

Thanks

Here is a list of the novels that jms considers as 'canon' in the large respect.

Jeanne deals with Anna Sheridan, Morden, the Shadows (throughout) and the Technomages in her last 3 novels.
The Shadow Within by Jeanne Cavelos (The story of the Icarus is consider canon by jms.)
The Passing of the Techno-Mages: Casting Shadows by Jeanne Cavelos
The Passing of the Techno-Mages: Summoning Light by Jeanne Cavelos
The Passing of the Techno-Mages: Invoking Darkness by Jeanne Cavelos

Gregory deals with the Psi-Corps from it's birth before the Centauri came to Earth, until events after Crusade.
Dark Genesis: The Birth of the Psi Corps by J. Gregory Keyes
Deadly Relations: Bester Ascendant by J. Gregory Keyes
Final Reckoning: The Fate of Bester by J. Gregory Keyes

Peter David, who wrote 'Soul Mates' (Londo's wives) and 'There All the Honor Lies' (Sheridan in Trouble for killing a Minbari), wrote these three novels about what happens on Centauri Prime after Londo gets his keeper.
Legions of Fire: The Long Night of Centauri Prime by Peter David
Legions of Fire: Armies of Light and Dark
Legions of Fire: Out of Darkness

To Dream in the City of Sorrows by Kathryn Drennan who also wrote 'By Any Means Necessary' (where Sinclair solves the docker srike). Jms said in the intro to that book, that this is book is 100% canon and tells what happened to Sinclair between the end of the first season and 'War Without End'. Kathryn had complete access to jms while she wrote the book and picked his brain on specifics extensively.

Here is what jms had to say on the other books.

The other books...in broad strokes, I accept they happened, but in the details, and how they're treated, and some incidentals...they haven't hit all the right cylinders. This time, with this batch, I got more directly involved and I think they're definitely improved...though the Cavelos novel had the least need for input, since she *really* knew the show.

Happy reading.

Kizarvexis

Eryx said:
I
I notice a lot of folks talking about Dreaming in the City of Sorrow (correct title?), whats that one about?

Thanks

It's 'To Dream in the City of Sorrows' and is about Sinclair's time on Minbari, his relationship with Catherine Satai, the rebuilding of the Anla'shok, Marcus' past and the events that lead up to 'War Without End'.

If it is any help I once posted the title, author and ISBN stats for my complete collection of the novels.

lastbesthope said:
Frobi got in there first with the info. However I may be able to help you slightly with your search for the books Andrew.

From my inventory of my B5 books I have extracted the titles, Authors and ISBNs. For many of the books I have the US editions (marked as such next to the ISBNs) so you'd need to look up the UK ISBN at a bookshop or on amazon.co.uk. Or order the US version.

Also, the first 3 books have been reprinted in an omnibus, and numbers 7 and 9 (I think) have had reprints as well. They may have different ISBN numbers for the new editions. Either way the titles and authors should help you out. And there never was a book for River Of Souls (Like ACTA necer got a soundtrack)

If it wasn't so late and I had more time I'd look up the UK ISBNs for you. I apologise for this not being up to my usual standards of help :roll:
(I do have to get up in 5 hours, it's my only excuse)

In Glasgow, FP on Buchanan street had some of them in last time I was in, but that was months ago. Try Borders or Waterstones. The various A1 comics stores might be worth a shot. But you probably already know all those places :oops:

LBH
(You just can't get the help these days)

List follows:

Book 1: Voices
John Vorholt
0-7522-0644-3

Book 2: Accusations
Lois Tilton
0-7522-0649-4

Book 3: Blood Oath
John Vorholt
0-7522-0654-0

Book 4: Clark's Law
Jim Mortimer
0-7522-0153-0

Book 5: The Touch of your shadow, the whisper of your name
Neil Barrett Jr.
0-7522-0158-1

Book 6: Betrayals
S M Stirling
0-7522-0163-8

Book 7: The Shadow Within
Jeanne Cavelos
0-7522-2339-9

Book 8: Personal Agendas
Al Sarrantonio
0-7522-2344-5

Book 9: To Dream in the City of Sorrows
Kathryn M Drennan
0-440-22354-7 (US EDITION)

Babylon 5: In the Beginning
Peter David
0-345-42452-2 (US EDITION)

Babylon 5: Thirdspace
Peter David
0-345-42454-9 (US EDITION)

Babylon 5: Call to Arms
Robert Sheckley
0-345-43155-3 (US EDITION)

The Saga of Psi Corps Book 1: Dark Genesis The Birth of the Psi Corps
J Gregory Keyes
0-345-42715-7 (US EDITION)

The Saga of Psi Corps Book 2: Deadly Relations Bester Ascendant
J Gregory Keyes
0-345-42716-5 (US EDITION)

The Saga of Psi Corps Book 3: Final reckoning The Fate of Bester
J Gregory Keyes
0-345-42717-3 (US EDITION)

The Legions of Fire Book 1: The Long Night of Centauri Prime
Peter David
0-345-42718-1 (US EDITION)

The Legions of Fire Book 2: Armies of Light and Dark
Peter David
0-345-42719-X (US EDITION)

The Legions of Fire Book 3: Out of the Darkness
Peter David
0-345-42720-3 (US EDITION)

The Passing of the Tech-nomages Book 1: Casting Shadows
Jeanne Cavelos
0-345-42721-1 (US EDITION)

The Passing of the Tech-nomages Book 2: Summoning Light
Jeanne Cavelos
0-345-42722-X (US EDITION)

The Passing of the Tech-nomages Book 3: Invoking Darkness
Jeanne Cavelos
0-345-43833-7 (US EDITION)

LBH

You forgot one LBH......

"The Shadow Within" By Jean Cavelos
ISBN 0345452186

It is the Prequel for th Technomages novels.

I'm sure I read a JMS post somewhere that they made Kathryn stick exactly to the approval protocols for the novel so they couldn't accuse JMS of favouritism.

It's a great book though!

LBH

I am not wrong. That novel exist. I have a copy! I have one of each of the Babylon 5 novels. I know what I'm talking aobut!

What are you not wrong about Aramanthus?

Book 7 is on my list, I never said it didn't exist.

Or are we talking at cross purposes here?

LBH

Actually there waas a second version of book 7. I have both versions! The second versino is listed as a prequel of the Technomages novel. :D

The second version was just a new cover to tie it in more closely with the TV show, with the original text inside AFAIK. So I don't count them as seperate books.

I have the original.

And no arguement perceived, I just kept wondering why you kept saying I forgot a book that was on the list :D

LBH

frobisher said:
Kizarvexis said:
Kathryn had complete access to jms while she wrote the book and picked his brain on specifics extensively.

I'd hope so - she's his wife :)

I know. ;)

lastbesthope said:
I'm sure I read a JMS post somewhere that they made Kathryn stick exactly to the approval protocols for the novel so they couldn't accuse JMS of favouritism.

I know that jms had Kathryn submit 'By Any Means Necessary' as a complete script, instead of an outline, and to submit it anonymously so as to squelch any appearance of nepotism. I didn't know that he did something similar for the book too.

Kizarvexis

Aramanthus said:
Actually there waas a second version of book 7. I have both versions! The second versino is listed as a prequel of the Technomages novel. :D

There was also a second reprint of Book 9 "To Dream . . . (yadda yadda)" and there was an Omnibus reprint of the first 3 novels in one volume.

LBH
Noone outgeeks me!

Back