Where is your Campaign Set?

Johannixx said:
Mine is in Zamora (Shadizar to be precise), set around the time Conan was in his 20's (though as of yet, he hasn't come up, since the PC's are going through most of his adventures ;))

Sounds like our Shadizar book might be of interest then... :wink:

This is more like a campaign idea as I have not finalized it. PCs (all first level characters) are part of a bandit group that is harassing coutryside and caravans. During one of the raids the bandits will get hold of a map but the bandit leader (about level 5 soldier, I think) won't share the knowledge of it. Now there is the problem, as the campaign pretty much requires the PCs to steal the map and flee the bandit camp. Then they will be chased by the bandits to some location, probably to nearest city/town. There they might get some leads to where this map actually leads. Finally they should be able to locate a starting point and navigate to the ruins of an ancient city where only temple still stands intact. Of course there is something to loot in the temple, as well as a passage to underground tunnels where is some sort of magical artifact that is pursued by a certain sorcerer who also tracks the party.

Maybe the artifact contains a demon or something like that but PCs and the bandits will be more interested in the more material loot. Ideally the end should have 3 sided battle (the party, sorcerer's troops and the bandits) and possibly even a demon.

This is all very basic and quite cliche but it has been ages since I GM:ed anything like this...

SnowDog

Ran my first Conan game on wednesday, using "The Slaver's Caravan" set in Zamora. 2 PCs, one was a Shemite nomad, he got into a duel with fellow caravan guard Unegen the Hyrkanian within 10 minutes, and got himself killed. 8) 2nd PC was a female Cimmerian barbarian Jirrigan, she managed to survive despite her addiction to Khorajan liquor - she drank a whole flask and passed cold out in front of the veteran guards, good thing they were under orders not to molest her!
I'm planning to set my 2nd game 2 years later on an island off the Argossean coast, with Jirrigan (now 2nd level) and some new PCs.

Mongoose Old Bear said:
Johannixx said:
Mine is in Zamora (Shadizar to be precise), set around the time Conan was in his 20's (though as of yet, he hasn't come up, since the PC's are going through most of his adventures ;))

Why yes, yes it would. Got an ETA on that? Considering that Shadizar is currently besieged by Constantius and the Free Companies (I moved the events in "A Witch Shall Be Born" to Shadizar), the PC's may or may not be able to use it as a base of operations after the next few sessions ;)

Johannixx said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:
Johannixx said:

Why yes, yes it would. Got an ETA on that? Considering that Shadizar is currently besieged by Constantius and the Free Companies (I moved the events in "A Witch Shall Be Born" to Shadizar), the PC's may or may not be able to use it as a base of operations after the next few sessions ;)

Shadizar is due for release at Christmas time this year.

So far my campaign is set in the wilderness of the border kingdom. This is before Conan takes the throne of Aqilonia. The party consists of an Aqilonian Noble, a Hyperborian Soldier captured by the Noble's father at a young age , was raised along with the noble to be his bodyguard, and a Cimmerian barbarian met on the trail. The Noble's father was recently killed by trechery in Tarantia and his family branded as traitors. They fled north to the border kingdom to escape the king's soldiers and are now dodging assasins in the wilderness.

I don't know, but I'd better make up my mind.

I did a 12th level test session, on the Pictish/Zingaran border, but I really don't want to conncet this session with what's to come.

The test session was to try out the game, and then we were going to decide what RPG campaign we were going to start next, after the session Conan was the unanimous choice, so I have about 9 more days to come up with a first level campaign idea.

I am thinking one of the southern or eastern Hyborian kingdoms, but haven't got it narrowed past that.

Ancient China. Apologies to all the REH fans, but I bought Conan for a slightly more epic and interesting melee combat system rather than the setting. ;)

Since I seem destined to GM rather than run a character I'll wait until my current run of GMing Hero system is over. By then the Shadizar and Pirate Isles books will be out. I'd love to start the game in Shadizar. Urban Conan adventures sound like a blast. And then...maybe some pirating.

Hobbes said:
Ancient China. Apologies to all the REH fans, but I bought Conan for a slightly more epic and interesting melee combat system rather than the setting. ;)

Blasphemy!! :wink:

Actually that sounds fairly intresting. Care to elaborate?

At first the game started in the Aquilonian city of Shamar and has moved through Argos to Shem and in the second session will start with the group just arriving with a trading caravan to the Stygian capital of Luxur. Then its on to wherever the adventure leads.

Hobbes said:

Likewise for my Barsoom game - I'm really only using the combat rules, though. The rest I'm pulling out of D20 Modern.

Hobbes said:

This is, of course, the talk of a deranged heretic. :wink:

rook111 said:
Blasphemy!! :wink:

Actually that sounds fairly intresting. Care to elaborate?
I'm not starting for another month or two till another GM in the group wraps up their current game, so I'm in the research and planning phase (translation: found a good excuse for watching a bunch of wuxia and kung-fu movies). The current idea is to have the players working for the Emperor to infiltrate the elite group of rebel assassins and protect him and the declining kingdom from behind enemy lines. Set in and around the sprawling Imperial City of Heaven and Hell, so called for the palaces of the divine Emperor and the surrounding noble courts/government areas, and the crime ridden sprawl of the trade districts and poor areas that lie outside the palace walls. So I'll get to throw the players up against corrupt bureaucrats, bloodthirsty bandits, devoted martial artists and swordsmen, cunning merchants, and the odd demon or spirit here and there stirring up their own brand of mischief.
System wise, renaming some classes and races, and adding a base parry/dodge bonus to monks should be about all that really needs to be done. Except for magic... still thinking about whether to try and shift the flavor of the Conan sorcerous styles a little bit or convert a couple magic using classes from Oriental Adventures. I'm waiting to get a good look at the Scrolls of Skelos before I make that decision though. :D

Mine is taking shape in and around Eastern Shem... there's just something about desert dunes, camels, scimitars and belly dancers that strike a nerve in me... :)

Perhaps I've been playing to much Prince of Persia on the x-box lately? :lol:

/wolf

Back