What's with the B&W

I Just bought the Traveller's guide to Freedom Station and noticed that's it's all Black and White. Also I noticed the other B5 books all new realeases on my retailers shelves where also black and white. I have always been pleased with the layout and colour of Mongoose books and would like to know if this is some sort of change Mongoose is doing. Does anyone know why Mongoose is doing this I think that it cheapens the books and it really turns me off to future purchases. Any feedback please let me know .

msprange said:
The Lurker's Guide series is intended to be b/w for a number of reasons. First, it allows us to explore various areas of the B5 universe that might not be so popular as others. Also, they make sense for publications that will not have many film captures, using original artwork instead.

Colour books are still on the cards for B5 - The Rim, for example, will be the next one.

From the Pak'ma'ra thread.

Ulkesh said:
msprange said:
The Lurker's Guide series is intended to be b/w for a number of reasons. First, it allows us to explore various areas of the B5 universe that might not be so popular as others. Also, they make sense for publications that will not have many film captures, using original artwork instead.

Colour books are still on the cards for B5 - The Rim, for example, will be the next one.

From the Pak'ma'ra thread.

I was able to take a look at the Legend of the Rangers book in my local RPG store and it's b&w too. But that's no "lurkers guide" book, right? So we get all books in b&w now? I mean according to the statement that book should be coloured.

Filter said:
I was able to take a look at the Legend of the Rangers book in my local RPG store and it's b&w too. But that's no "lurkers guide" book, right? So we get all books in b&w now? I mean according to the statement that book should be coloured.

At one point, it was going to be. . .

Filter said:

Not so, there is a difference between the statement that all Lurker books will be B&W and all non Lurker books being colour.

LBH

Frankly, I prefer the B&W format. Of course, I'll like it even more if prices lower because we're not paying for color, slick paper and photo captures....

Having just got my hands on 3 new B5 books, all in black and white I have been thinking about this.

I don't mind the change in the paper or black and white print. My main problem is the quality of the images and pictures in the book - it seems that they were all designed to be printed in colour and when rendered in B&W seem very dark and indistinct.
If this could be corrected I would be quite happy with the books.

Of course I would still rather see them in colour but you can't have everything (but it does not stop you wanting :lol: ).

DW

msprange said:
Filter said:

At one point, it was going to be. . .

Is Thirdspace going to be in color or black and white?

Hoping for color. :)

lastbesthope said:
I'm more concerned about the production quality than the colour scheme at the moment.

LBH

While I agree about the production quality side of it, the main reason I'm more concerned about color is that it makes the price easier to swallow.

I assume that the book binding quality etc., will improve as Mongoose gets more practice. I know there could be other issues besides that, but since they're new to the printing part, I'll just go with that assumption.

Anyways, as another poster mentioned in another thread, the black and white pics are kind of indistinct, while "The Rim" looked just as beautiful as the other color books. If the black and white books were slightly cheaper I wouldn't have as much of a problem. "Legend of the Rangers" may have had a few dodgey pictures, but they weren't that bad.

But when it costs just as much as much clearer color book, it's a little harder to swallow. I'd much rather pay the same price for a color book.

Just my 2 cents.

Back