Whats new on Atlantean Edition?

Cimmerian

Mongoose
Hello conan fans:) I am a new guy on this forum and also a new GM on conan, I already have the Conan The RPG main book, now i see that there is the atlantean edition, whats the difference between the 2 books?

apparently its got all the revisions and errata's. I myself am not going to buy it. I spent 50 bucks on the original and now another 50 for the revised? thats a bit pricey.

Arthas the Lich King said:
apparently its got all the revisions and errata's. I myself am not going to buy it. I spent 50 bucks on the original and now another 50 for the revised? thats a bit pricey.

Amen to that. I'd rather spend that 50 on more accessories. :D

You can get a discount. Use the search function and look for the Key Words "Sons of Cimmeria". You shoul dbe able to find it. Send in a corner of one of the pages and get a 60% discount on the C:AE.

I've got no problem with the full price, but only on the principle that Mongoose at least offered the discount.

I know...I'm weird... :lol:

I sort of went wild.

I LOVE Conan AE and actually bought two copies, and I also have the first printing of Conan as well.

AE clears up many things and has some new and interesting content as well. Players with the old book don't have to buy it, but I am very happy I did. Great book so far (still reading everything).

Guys thank you for your replays:) i think i will take the atlantean edition because my players doesnt have any copy of the Conan The RPG so in a campaing is needed to have more than one book.
I would like to ask about the money a caracter takes above 1st level. In the book it says only the starting money but if i want to make a campaing of caracters starting at 4th level how much money i have to give?

Thank you!

If you have the DMG 3.5 edition look in the chapter under adventuring I think. It has a chart you can use for starting gold above first level. The gold value in the DMG is I think the same as the silver piece in conan. If that doesnt work for ya, what I do sometimes is just multiply the maximum amount of cash a character can get at 1st level and multiply that by whatever level the party is starting at. So multiply it by 4.

Cimmerian said:
I would like to ask about the money a caracter takes above 1st level. In the book it says only the starting money but if i want to make a campaing of caracters starting at 4th level how much money i have to give?

I would give them the same as a 1st level PC unless they have some in character reason for accumulated wealth such as a Noble. Unlike D&D, Conan is built around the PCs having very little wealth beyond the bare necessities of adventuring. The books includes rules that any unspent money at PC creation is gone, rules for PCs to squander their money if they accumulate it and for the GM to arbitrarily take money and items from them between adventures.

As such, it gives a pretty strong signal that wealth is not all that important to a pulp sword and sorcery character. Conan PCs can only really buy mundane items anyway, as magic items are very rarely for sale.

I wouldn't worry too much about starting money. I've started most of my sessions similiar to the actual Conan stories. The characters have started out on the run, entering a town and leaving town quickly. Each time, I've given them a run down on why they are there and how much money, equipment and hp's they have.

The player's actually enjoy this. The first time I did this, I imitated the beginning of Rogues in The House. They were clad in loin cloths and chained in a dungeon. You should have seen their eyes widen at this one. Now they can't wait to see how the next adventure starts.

The world of Conan isn't about money...it's about wealth...conceptually two differnt things. It's also about power, which has nothing to do with money necessarily.

Give them the swords and some small ammount of armor and enough food and water for a week or so. Then they're on thier own...no matter what level you start them at.

I wonder if allowing PCs to buy items by weight instead of cost wouldn't make more sense. That is, start an adventure by letting them pick 20 lbs of equipment, regardless of cost.

If you allow them to choose at all, that is.

I like it, though it would need some extra limits - no superior quality items, and no single item weighing more than 10lb.

I might even change the amount to a proportion of their light load limit, or, more likely, twice the characters STR.

Back