What were they called before the Interstellar Alliance?

JonAcheson

Mongoose
What were the breakaway colonies of Orion 7, Proxima 3, Babylon 5 & etc. called after they broke away from the Clarke Regime, and before they formed the Interstellar Alliance? This would be during the time period between the middle of Season 3 and some time in Season 4.

"The Independant Colonies?"
"The Breakaway Colonies?"
"The Army of Light?"

Jon Acheson

I don't remember them being called anything other than rebel outposts of their various worlds alliances .Although my first though might be the army of light .

I think they were just considered colonies at first then renegade colonies once they broke away. I think Babylon 5 was the only real rallying point for the Army of Light.

What I really want to know is, if you're a captain of a starship on the side of the breakaway colonies and B5 during this time period, and you need to identify yourself and your authority, what do you say?

"This is the cruiser Marathon, in the service of the breakaway colonies" seems to undercut your authority, by casting the colonies as just breakaways from the real Earth Alliance.

"This is the cruiser Marathon, in the service of the Army of Light" sounds too goofy. Too high-fantasy.

Eventually it will be the "Interstellar Alliance Cruiser Marathon." But not until the alliance is founded at the end of Season 4 (December 5, 2261).

I like "This is the Independant Colonies Cruiser Marathon."

But I can't shake the feeling I'm missing something.

Jon Acheson

Either that, or simply 'the Resistance'. Don't forget, Ivanova's broadcasts were 'The Voice of the Resistance'.

I don't think they were given a 'proper' naming, in the manner that the IA was. Or, I don't recall offhand. Which is entirely possible. :)

I don't think the breakaway colonies ever organized. I belive they were just independent entities. Plus after the EA Civila War, I assume they rejoined the alliance, with the exception of Mars like they said that they would do. Though Earth does join the IA so technically they would be in the IA.
all of this assumes my memory is functioning correctly.

babakganoosh said:
Plus after the EA Civila War, I assume they rejoined the alliance, with the exception of Mars like they said that they would do.

Actually Mars is still in the Earth Alliance, but it's attained nation status rather than being a colony.

I suspect that after the EA civil war new policies were set about the colonies´s rights (beginning with Mars) , a trend that would be reinforced by the political crisis induced by the Drakh plage´s quarantine .

Back