What should I buy next?

Clangador

Mongoose
I have Paranoia XP /Service pack 1/

Paranoia GM Screen

Paranoia Stuff

So, which product should I set my sight on next?

A fine start, citizen Clangador.

If you are interested in playing or running the game, your next step is to decide which play style you prefer. Crash Priority presents short missions in all three supported play styles (Classic, Straight, and Zap). Then if you like Classic, get the PARANOIA Flashbacks hardcover compilation, or if you prefer Straight, go for the Straight mission collection WMD. If you like Zap, the mission blender in the GM Screen booklet should serve you well for a long time.

If you're instead interested mainly in reading, PARANOIA Flashbacks has some of -- actually, most of -- the funniest writing ever published in the roleplaying field. The Traitor's Manual, Extreme PARANOIA and Service, Service! are also chock-full of fun reading.

Wow, dunderm, I had no idea your Alpha Complex Coordinate System even existed! My Google Fu is weak. I appreciate the link, and am now scurrying off to plug it in the PARANOIA development blog.

Allen Varney said:
A fine start, citizen Clangador.

If you are interested in playing or running the game, your next step is to decide which play style you prefer. Crash Priority presents short missions in all three supported play styles (Classic, Straight, and Zap). Then if you like Classic, get the PARANOIA Flashbacks hardcover compilation, or if you prefer Straight, go for the Straight mission collection WMD. If you like Zap, the mission blender in the GM Screen booklet should serve you well for a long time.

If you're instead interested mainly in reading, PARANOIA Flashbacks has some of -- actually, most of -- the funniest writing ever published in the roleplaying field. The Traitor's Manual, Extreme PARANOIA and Service, Service! are also chock-full of fun reading.

I first played Paranoia sometime in the mid to late 1980 at a RPG club at my college. I don't recall much about it other then the GM/computer making funny noises and killing PCs for treason.

When the 5th edition came out, I got it, but didn't like the rules. I don't recall why now. At that time I went around to hobby stores and picked up all the old Paranoia stuff I could find. So, I do have a dozen or so older Paranoia books. My thinking is that I have enough matarial for adventures and such for a bit. I do want to get some of the adventure collections, but my main focus is the characters. More mutations, more info. on the secret societies, more equipment - stuff like that. I run a straight game with a little classic mixed in. I'm trying to run a campaign that will last and not a series of single adventures.

It looks to me like The Traitor's Manual or The Mutant Experience is what I want. My FLGS keeps it's books shrink wrapped, so I can't tell which one I should get first.

I do want to get some of the adventure collections, but my main focus is the characters. More mutations, more info. on the secret societies, more equipment - stuff like that. I run a straight game with a little classic mixed in. I'm trying to run a campaign that will last and not a series of single adventures.
Based on this goal, I think you're best off getting Extreme PARANOIA first. It has rules for characters of all security clearances from ORANGE through VIOLET, and lots of new ways to instill different kinds of paranoia at different clearances.

A long-term PARANOIA series doesn't depend so much on new mutations or new wrinkles on the secret societies (though there's plenty of both in The Mutant Experience and The Traitor's Manual, respectively). Instead it depends on constantly luring the players to think they're just about to win out, either against the system or against their rival players, or they're otherwise on the brink of figuring things out. Then you drop them through a metaphorical trapdoor to still deeper frustrations. Extreme is your guide in this worthy endeavor.

Allen Varney said:
I do want to get some of the adventure collections, but my main focus is the characters. More mutations, more info. on the secret societies, more equipment - stuff like that. I run a straight game with a little classic mixed in. I'm trying to run a campaign that will last and not a series of single adventures.
Based on this goal, I think you're best off getting Extreme PARANOIA first. It has rules for characters of all security clearances from ORANGE through VIOLET, and lots of new ways to instill different kinds of paranoia at different clearances.

A long-term PARANOIA series doesn't depend so much on new mutations or new wrinkles on the secret societies (though there's plenty of both in The Mutant Experience and The Traitor's Manual, respectively). Instead it depends on constantly luring the players to think they're just about to win out, either against the system or against their rival players, or they're otherwise on the brink of figuring things out. Then you drop them through a metaphorical trapdoor to still deeper frustrations. Extreme is your guide in this worthy endeavor.

Okay, I'll try that.

I'm very pleased you like my ACCS. I also did up security cards, but you guys did a similar one. Mines a little different, I find it adds a few twists to the game. But here's the link to that, if you are interested:

http://www.dunder.com/Paranoia/AplexCard.html

Hope you like it!

Jaded Troubleshooter's remark; "If you can't shoot the Traitor in front of you, the one in back will do."

Clangador said:

Paranoia GM Screen

Paranoia Stuff

I bought the exact same stuff to start out. My first new book came today and I went with The Mutant Experience.

Since my group will no doubt start with Zap and hopefully wiggle more into Classic, I figured I'd get a lot of use out of new Mutant powers to keep things varied in the beginning since they'll be cranking out new PCs a lot.

xombie said:
Clangador said:

Paranoia GM Screen

Paranoia Stuff

I bought the exact same stuff to start out. My first new book came today and I went with The Mutant Experience.

Since my group will no doubt start with Zap and hopefully wiggle more into Classic, I figured I'd get a lot of use out of new Mutant powers to keep things varied in the beginning since they'll be cranking out new PCs a lot.

Well, I went the splurged a couple days back. Got The Mutant Exp., The Traitor's Guide and Crimminal Histories. Set me back around 60 bucks. Right now I'm working on mapping out the sector my PCs are living in. I'm playing it strait as my players won't last on Zap or Classic very long.

Hey, don't forget to read my Alpha Complex Coordinate System, it might help with designing your Sector, or not.

Click on the link below, if you haven't been there yet.

Back