Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Half-orc

• other (explain)

• Total voters

LoneStranger

Mongoose
Ok. I got to thinking and before the migraine hit it dawned on me, what do people prefer to play in 3rd edition D&D? I wanted to know so I'm starting this poll.

Oh and if you prefer a race that's not in the Player's Handbook, couldja leave a message about the race? Some stuff on bonuses, ECL adjustment, etc.

i prefer humans now days. use to play elves alot. But most elves are humans with pointy ears in the games i'm in. I did play a elf in a new game recently so i could evently play a arcane archer. I like 3rd edition because it seems like i can tilt the character in the direction i want. Now i still like 1st edition, but completely skipped 2nd edition. I've never played a full caster yet. Fighter, rogue, ranger so far :) Ah i did play a human cleric to 36 level in a 1st ed game. He rocked 8)

my copper farthing worth

Nearly all of my characters end up being human, so I suppose that's my favourite race.

Anyway, I also like playing weird things (like Oathbound character races).

Antonio

I am currently running my 3.5 game, waiting for someone else to step up to the table so that I can take a break from DMing. I have two characters I am debating on playing - the first is a leopard anthropormorpic (sp?) from Savage Species (one of the best WotC d20 books IMO) which is basically a cat-person with some really nice advantages (2 racial HD, STR +, DEX+, CON +, WIS +, and CHA +, natural armor, several natural attacks like claws and bite, all wrapped up with a level Adj. of +1 or +2, I can't remember which right now). I usually tend to some previously unknown quality of character types....

Then again, my human paragon Akashic Runechild (created using WotC Unearthed Arcana and Monte Cook's AU) just might get some table-time as well. Never seen a more adept Skill Monkey in all my life....

The choices a man must make these days.... (sigh)

I couldn't really pick one...unless forced.

My favourites races in order are as follows.
1. Moon Elves, Caransil Elves, Grey Elves, Noldor Elves (dependant upon which game your playing :) )
2. Vampire Scion (Green Ronins Fang & Fury)
3. Warforged (Eberron)
4. Aasimar
5. Kobolds
6. Melniboneans
7. Humans
8. Dwarves
9. Gnolls
10. Black Orcs, Uruk Hai, Oruks (dependant upon which game your playing)

I prefer to play elves (first char I had was a half woodelf/half drow elf - gave my DM a headache, especially as she was also a multiclass necromancer/ranger), but my last char was a tiefling rogue.....who contracted lycanthropy - werecat (specifically hellcat, but w/out invisibility etc).

She later took a couple of noble levels before being sold out by her cousin to her devil grandfather and carted off to hell where she finally caught up with her male twin (who just happened to be an assassin and a vampire).

I love elves. However, this poll is not very specific. Do you mean favorite player character race or monstrous/humanoid race? If you mean PC race I like playing elves and humans equally. As per monstrous/humanoid race I'd have to say Lizardfolk and Merfolk evenly.

I have always thought elves were really cool... but they lose their mystique when you try to make them equivalent to humans. I prefer the elves of Tolkien -- majestic, glorious, powerful and immortal.

So, in D&D, I prefer humans.

I prefer to play the human in most games, though I have had tremendous amounts of fun trying to put on an alien mindset. Elf, dwarf, or even the Eridani Swordsaint from Battlelords of the 23rd Century. It's kina a cross between a medieval Samurai, a Klingon, and a Nazi. Very hard to roleplay with.

I have discovered that there are a lot of things that are incorporated into many games I have run across. Quite a few GM's, either through inexperience or not wanting to put forth the effort, tend to treat other races just like humans. However, I have tried to treat the 'others' as strange unknowns that are feared and hated. As most fantasy worlds I have played in are human dominant, with sometimes very little interaction between races. As such, one of the greatest roleplaying opportunities gets tossed right out the window.

Dwarves! Always! I had a dwarven fighter back en the days of D&D 2nd ed. and now I have a dwarven fighter once again, though this time I'm thinking about some fighter/cleric crossclassing.
Dwarves are cool! Plus they have large beards.

Glad to see people are responding and talking about this. My own favorite are the Dwarves that are made mainline, they're either Shield or Gold or something like that.

I did intend this poll to be for your favorite race when making a character, and yes there are a lot of options for various creatures (centaurs and lizardfolk to name 2) that can be made into playable character races.

ronbogard said:
I like the drow myself. Evil Drow :lol: . :twisted:

Yeah proper old skool drow, none of the drizz't generation namby pamby noncey ponceys. Like in the old days when drow were just plain callus, cruel, evil f**ks...

Oh hang on thats not a pc race is it....

hassanisabbah said:
ronbogard said:
I like the drow myself. Evil Drow :lol: . :twisted:

Yeah proper old skool drow, none of the drizz't generation namby pamby noncey ponceys. Like in the old days when drow were just plain callus, cruel, evil f**ks...

Oh hang on thats not a pc race is it....

Apart from Drizzt's father and one of his sisters having a brief momentary pause for thought... the only good drow has been Drizzt himself. He's hardly the forerunner of a new species of happy drow :)

The onyl other good drow in the realms are Eilistraee worshippers and they are predominantly females who have turned away from the worship of Lolth.

so by an large most elves current and old day versions ARE predominantly plain, viscious, callous, cruel, evil...you know whats.

The fact that masses of people got turned off to the Drow because of one novel's character not being a total git, says volumes about the state of todays societies :lol:

Elf, obviously. I've played elves for as long as I can recall, as they hit a chord in me that's deeper than D&D can hit upon.

However, since 3rd edition came out, Halflings have taken on some mystique of their own, not for their plethora of bonuses, but the way they're now portrayed, as 3 foot tall humanoids, like more of a mystical creature. No more Hobbits with hairy feet and curly hair (which made them look like children, I thought). Now they're more of a seperate race.

Nerethel

Apart from Drizzt's father and one of his sisters having a brief momentary pause for thought... the only good drow has been Drizzt himself. He's hardly the forerunner of a new species of happy drow :)

The onyl other good drow in the realms are Eilistraee worshippers and they are predominantly females who have turned away from the worship of Lolth.

so by an large most elves current and old day versions ARE predominantly plain, viscious, callous, cruel, evil...you know whats.

The fact that masses of people got turned off to the Drow because of one novel's character not being a total git, says volumes about the state of todays societies :lol:[/quote]

Yeah but I remember playing in Decent into the Depths of the earth, Vault of the Drow and Queen of the Demon web pits. Those Dark Elves are so foul the best approch to dealing with them is a shoot first policy...

Foul, corrupt, callous, machivellian and inhuman(oid).. thats the dark drow - Like the Melnibonians the demonic is a part of them, its almost infused into them. Hate and envy seem to drive them on.

That other monsters are evil, is in their make up. With the drow you just know they just hated being good!. Now thats what I call evil....

Back