What are you doing with Arm2089?

coyraven

Mongoose
Salutations,

I recently purchased the book, and as I read it I find myself curious to hear what other people have been doing with the game.

Does anyone have anything they would like to share?

With appreciation,
CR

I am hoping to run a series of games with 2089, but some of my players are concerned about gaming in another dark, smoke, dirt encrusted world. lol!

As a result, I am looking at a group of idealistic gamers who want to do some good, while keeping the grit of the game.

Not sure yet, but I have some notes on using Canada as the staging area, as they are caught between the EF and the USA. From my reading of the core book, and the brief pass I gave Earth 2089, Canada seems to be a good focus point for an game. Politics, a nation caught between the superpowers, and the risk of loosing it all.

Also, I was thinking about what some of my players had said, which essentially was that the end is coming and the players just need to dig in for the cold dark that was coming. With this I made a few notes about an idealistic gov't, and secret alliances with other nations who feel that they are at risk of being swept away in the Armageddon War.

I was playing with the idea of a major conflict breaking out along the St. Lawerence River, and the East coast as EF and US forces clash, or at least building up to such a conflict.

The players would be assigned to a small unit that works in the dark, manipulating events, and challenging both corporate, and superpower interests in the hopes of stablizing relations. It is very idealistic, and is just in the work up stage, but I working on some additional notes as I slowly read Earth 2089.

Just some random thoughts, about the game I would like to run.

The campaign I currently have with A:2089 takes place in Japan, with the political upheaval of the Tiger Combine's intentions of annexing the country, the complicity of some of Japan's leaders in this take over, and the social turmoil that has come from it as a result. It's an excellent backdrop, especially given Japan's edge in technology, economic strength, and deeply rooted traditions...

...all of which play an important role for my players, since each of them are portraying a member of an extended Yakuza family. Playing the game from a ground's eye view of the Armageddon War in the mindset of career criminals is proving to be a lot of fun.

BrianK said:
Just some random thoughts, about the game I would like to run.

Very interesting- I had not even thought to use Canada as a stage.

It is fascinating to take the tact the pc's are trying to undermine the war without earning the ire of either side.

Do you have trouble envisioning sessions? I seem to have hit a bit of a mental block in trying to layour a design in my head. Though, I did just pick up the Kazikstan book- and that will hopefully give me the framework from which I can work with to form my own ideas.

On a side note- I had read Midnight before starting the Arm2089 core book. After that setting, this book glows with hope. heh.

CR

Mherduwynn said:
Playing the game from a ground's eye view of the Armageddon War in the mindset of career criminals is proving to be a lot of fun.

Wow- so you are not even using the Meks? The setting definitly has a good basis for a Shadowrun-like campeign. Hopefully Mongoose's D20 CyberNet will be compatible with Arm2089.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

CR

coyraven said:
I recently purchased the book, and as I read it I find myself curious to hear what other people have been doing with the game.

Does anyone have anything they would like to share?

CR

Have not had a chance to play , in the middle of two fantasy campaigns, but have been working on expanded rules for Nuclear, Biological and Chemical warfare. The existing rules are fine for an abstract, clean and friendly chemical attack. The effects are fine but duration is far to short and no mention of contamination. I want a system where there are disadvantages to using chem. weapons. A single nerve agent attack may contaminate an area for days, tac-nukes for months or years. Players may regret starting a chem warfare fight when the enemy targets their base camp. "What do you mean I failed the repair roll", "The NBC suit raised the DC by five, should have taken the time to decon your Mech. and the workshop", "But that would have taken hours".

Also have ideas for some non Mech. activities.

I'll either submit my ideas to Mongoose or put them online.

Lane Shutt said:
The existing rules are fine for an abstract, clean and friendly chemical attack.

ROFLMAO! Man, reading that line made my whole day! I think that it would make a great tag line for an ordance company in 2089! "...clean and friendly chemical attacks...at bargin prices! Friendly operators are waiting to help you. 1-888-BUGBOOM"

I'll either submit my ideas to Mongoose or put them online.

I look forward to seeing your expanded rules.

I might need to take a look at those Contamination Rules too, since the game I'm running here will be set in and around the UK, and I intend to have Nukes making an appearance somewhere.

The team is playing a batch of (admittedly very good) Mercenary Green Skins who have joined quite a good British Mercenary Company (Brants First and Finest) descended from the remnants of the 1st Mechanised Support Company, One Commando, Royal British Marines. When the British Military Command re-established firm control over the UK, Brants First and Finest were one of the first Mercenary Companies to sign up with their former Commanders, and have served as one of the most valued Units that the British have under their command. After a recent deployment to Asia under a contract with Royal Ordinance, the Company has returned to the UK for six months Garrison Duty in and around Liverpool.

During a daring raid by the EF, two months into that tour, most of Bravo Squad was destroyed protecting the vital Shipyards and Factories along the Mersey. The Characters have recently Graduated, and been offered places with Brants First and Finest, which they have accepted. This is to be their First Taste of Mek combat; it WILL be dirty, and it WILL be in their own back-yard.

I also have plans for an Armageddon 1946 campaign that I may run here too.

Nicely detailed campaign background there, Void Hawk. I like the consideration you have put into the 'dirty' fighting that the Player Characters have to worry about, since it will be happening where they live. All too often, characters don't care about the devestation they wreak since next week, they will be on another continent. Dealing with the fallout is a nice angle to shoot for...

As for A:1946, going for a little Gear Kreig, are we? Fun...

-August

And yes, Coyraven; we are not really even going to use the Meks, certainly not at first. One of the characters owns a small one (a Sunfire, manufactured in one of the plants he has 'investments' in) and some of the skills to use it, but it is a hobby, not a lifestyle. Instead, the players are having to deal with the world of Armageddon from the vantage point of the people underfoot, so to speak.

Now, if they decide to take to the heavy metal and work to protect their territory once the Combine becomes more agressive in its poticial negotiations, well... that might put a different spin on the game, but for now, they are just managing their tiny empires, making sure that life continues for the Japanese people, and keeping their eyes on the sky.

-August

Void Hawk said:
I might need to take a look at those Contamination Rules too, since the game I'm running here will be set in and around the UK, and I intend to have Nukes making an appearance somewhere.

So far I have the skill DC and times for most actions, a list of chemical agents (and their real world effects) and lots of reference material. Most of the Chem Warfare section is just converting to n D6 and guidelines for the GM.

I'm starting Nuclear effects earlier than planned just for you.
My biggest concern is how to handle accumulated exposure since that is what determines the effects. Several small doses (like two days in a contaminated zone) are just as bad as a single large dose. Exposure A may only make a few people sick but recoverable, exposure B temporarily disables most people, exposure E and above kills everyone with good saves prolonging the pain.

Some equipment will need changes as well. For example the lightweight NBC suit, it should reduce the dose rate not negate the exposure.

Personally I like to stick to mongoose's emphasis that the mek is the center of the gaming system... With that, I have already run a multiple sucession of space-branching campaigns. I am currently running an inner-solar system edge campaign dealing with hostile aliens and 1) company funded asteroid research/technology facilities and 2) military controlled asteroid belt defence facility construction attempts. Bamm that was a mouthful, and i only run it with 3 players and a shissload of in-depth NPC's but i can assure you it is a thouroughly enjoyable campaign setting.

Here's a link to a map site. It has some fairly nice maps from around the world with political, relief, and regular maps for countries. some are in pdf and print off nicely :) the jpg i have trouble with.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/

I have no idea what to do for my WarMek game as yet. It looks cool, but I'm not used to running wargames like this. How much"downtime" would you say should exist between missions or mercenary contracts? How long should each mission take? How many actual gaming sessions should a 3 day mission take?

I figure my campaign will start out with my player's along the Mexican/US border, chasing after enemy mercs with huge bounties on thier head. If the PCs succeed on at least one of these missions, they'll be invited on a low-pay, low-risk long-term (100+ days) garrison duty at a Loisianna fort. During this time, there should be at least one occasion where they could distinguish themselves. (I'm not sure how many actual sessions a 100+ day garrison mission should involve...) During garrison duty, the total estimated value of all salvage is split equally among all base defenders, with a large percentage going to the base itself. All ammo is paid for by the base.

If they do distinguish themselves, they may be invited into an extended assault mission that is already about to launch. The assault mission consists of two teams led by a lead strike team, and the PCs will be a third team added on at the last minute at the request of the strike leader. Once in Mexico, each team will act independantly in coordination according to a pre-planned strategy.

The assault is in response to rumor of a testing of a new type of Egide WarMek, which contains a direct neural interface. The assault force is to destroy the prototypes and capture leading scientists and records while simultaneously destroying other strategic targets before escaping back to Fort Winfrey. Something, of course, goes wrong, and the PCs are instead the ones to deal with the prototype WarMeks instead of strike leader's team.

I expect that the result is that the PCs will capture experimental WarMek components, and rather than turn them over to the U.S., may sell them to Ipex, Edige, or Mexican forces. The PCs will become a very wealthy mercenary unit, but will have alienated the U.S. contractors and will have bounty on their head. They'll doubtlessly convert one of the mexican towns into their base of operations, much like the enemy mercs they were bounty-hunting earlier in the campaign.

Thus, the party could go two ways. One way, is to fulfill their U.S. contract and turn over all or destroy all of the experimental prototypes. If this happens, they will become a Government Strike Team for the U.S. based out of New Mexico, possibly working in coordination with the North-Texas Rangers. If they sell out, they can become an independant mercenary company with plenty of enemies, but also enough money to customize their own merc squad, mechs, and other stuff.

There may also be a romantic subplot involved with a half-human/half-lizard alien hybrid who is looking for fresh genetic material to replenish her stagnant race. But I'm not sure yet.

---

Having the story more or less worked out, it's the actual details I'm having problems with. How long does it take to get from point A to point B? What are the strategic targets? Will the Meks walk through Mexico or are they dropped from planes or transported via flatbed truck or train? How much does sattellite assets really help? How long are missions expected to take and how much time exists between missions?

The book makes a big deal about time, but doesn't give any recommendations on how much time a mission should take, or should exist between missions, or within a campaign. Normally, this isn't really an issue in most games, but in this one time is used in the formulas and stuff and I have to know how to use it properly.

The garrison plot is put in there to help me deal with challenges, 'cause I know the first few times the missions are going to be much too hard ("retreat to base!") or much too easy.

The maps posted in the link above help A LOT, thank you.

---

I have a question for you guys. How much should the base pay of a mission be adjusted to account for salvage, when salvage is or isn't allowed?

LordRahvin said:
I have no idea what to do for my WarMek game as yet. It looks cool, but I'm not used to running wargames like this. How much"downtime" would you say should exist between missions or mercenary contracts? How long should each mission take? How many actual gaming sessions should a 3 day mission take?
I'm not sure how many actual sessions a 100+ day garrison mission should involve...

Down time is up to the players, doctors and repair shop techs. Expect job hunting, negotiation and prep time to take at least three days which can be reduced to about 30 min of game time.
There are almost always several missions available, Do they want the players or the players want them is the question. Give them some under paid or unreasonable ones to encourage thinking and research.

I would guess a three day mission involving two battles and some searching for the enemy could be played in about two hours. The time in garrison should pass quickly unless you have daily fire fights. Have the players roll a few spot checks at the start and
periodically, maybe an attack comes on another units shift. The teams down time will take more time than anything else, lots of time to get into trouble.

LordRahvin said:
The assault is in response to rumor of a testing of a new type of Egide WarMek, which contains a direct neural interface. ... Something, of course, goes wrong, and the PCs are instead the ones to deal with the prototype WarMeks instead of strike leader's team.

Would you give a third level party a +5 sword, or five of them?

Rather than recovering functioning systems let them recover key parts or encrypted design files. Even if they keep it they do not gain unfair advantage. Developing the system should be out of their skill range and expert assistance could double cross them.

LordRahvin said:
Having the story more or less worked out, it's the actual details I'm having problems with. How long does it take to get from point A to point B? What are the strategic targets? Will the Meks walk through Mexico or are they dropped from planes or transported via flatbed truck or train? How much does satellite assets really help? How long are missions expected to take and how much time exists between missions?

Overland travel assume 8-10 hrs at slowest mechs base speed.

Strategic targets? depends on how friendly the region is to the enemy. Power plants, factories, ports, repair facilities are common targets but may piss off the government/ corporation.

Transport depends on the locals. What is most economical, most assured to get there safe and least likely to alert the target. Then again you may be able to drive into the nearest town without attracting attention by announcing a false contract.

Satellite/ Intel is very useful when used properly. Would you walk into an enemy camp without knowing the layout in advance?

Time is variable. Make an estimate based on travel, search and action.

---- Sample----
Tactical travel from the LZ to search area is 70 km over broken ground. The target Mech unit is known to be operating in the area with a base suspected to be within 20 km of coordinates xxxx, yyyy which is mostly wooded area preventing direct satellite observation. Degrade target units combat efficiency allowing local security forces to fortify suspected targets. Extraction will be at Jonestown 100 km from the search area. A bonus of 50k is available if no raids are conducted more than 72 hrs after insertion which begins in 35 hours.

Good research will indicate raids every 2-5 days with the last being two days ago. Several mechs in the target unit are normally equipped with fuel cells but there are no local fuel sources and the suspected base area has no commercial power available, they must be storing fuel locally. Several truck convoys have been raided since the target began operations in the area, nothing of military value has been reported lost. Another convoy is scheduled in five days and the manifest for trucks owned by ABC shipping are unavailable, 75% of all trucks lost belong to this company. Convoy raids have been on a section of road 40-50 km from the search center.

Time estimate is 5 hrs to target, 7 hrs to extraction, 10 hrs rest and prep time per day. Search assumes an area 2 km wide at 5 km/ hr for the four mech team. The area is 1200 km^2 with a worst case time of 120 hrs. The contract agent is only willing to pay for six days searching. One day for emergency repairs authorized. Eight days max (paid) mission time.

The target unit will be conducting a raid six hrs from camp at mission time T+14, early morning. A second raid at T+75 nine hours from camp then a raid on the convoy at T+83. Alerting security forces at least six hours before a raid and guessing the location (to a zone of four) qualifies for the bonus. Good use of
Intel and real time reports will help track or intercept the target unit. Locating their base and destroying the fuel/ ammo supply will count as mission complete without direct (mech) combat. The truck convoy includes a supply shipment on the ABC trucks.

----------------------

Reward good roleplay with clues to help speed up a mission falling behind. You can even develop reputations for contract agents on how good their time estimates are. You may also have set time limits on some missions, even unreasonable ones.

Personally, I am using the rules in a pretty heavily modified context. Instead of the dark, Battletech-esque (don't deny it, the similarities are plain as day), I am using the basic rules of A2089 for a very much different game. Basically, it takes place a long time after A2089, on a different planet known as Valhalla... Long story short (And I do mean LONG story), the colonists there were fighting a war, and a thermonuclear exchange near the polar ice caps created a "nuclear winter" effect (huge vapor cloud blocks out the sun, creating another ice age)... Thanks to the timely discovery of some lost technology and foreign colonists, the world has recovered and the superpowers are fighting for control again.

I am using a slightly more "anime" styled rule system. Now, I'm going to stem the tide of "Go play Mekton!" posts right here; I am keeping the core rules of the game, I am just making the warmeks and their weapons less ugly-as-hell, introducing rules for hand held (I.E. rifle style) weapons, perhaps some rules for jetpacks/jump jets, and am having the battles (for the moment, anyways) tend to be more like war movie battles like those from Saving Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gates, and the like. Close quarters, dramatic charges, frightening large scale assaults, that sort of thing. So far, its been a lot of fun, and I'm really liking it a lot better than 'vanilla' 2089.

i've just got armageddon, i've no idea what to do with it yet, so much back ground and ideas in the main book! but i am going to use the mek rules in a game of warhammer 40.000 for the titans! :D

Lane Shutt said:
Have not had a chance to play , in the middle of two fantasy campaigns, but have been working on expanded rules for Nuclear, Biological and Chemical warfare. The existing rules are fine for an abstract, clean and friendly chemical attack. The effects are fine but duration is far to short and no mention of contamination. I want a system where there are disadvantages to using chem. weapons. A single nerve agent attack may contaminate an area for days, tac-nukes for months or years.

Lane Shutt, havhow are you progressing with the alternate rules for NBC weapons ? I would love to get my filthy idea thieving hands on a copy when you are done (hey I am a scavenger at heart).

I was working on the Chemical rules with my brother who has been deployed to Fragmentistan and delayed an extra four months.

I do have some draft rules for Radiation Effects that I will post in a few days.
The system closely models actual effects but requires more bookkeeping, GM and player opinions are encouraged.

Back