weapons sizes

DourDeadlyPuritan said:
Oh how about armor piercing and criticals? Or a weapon not on the list such as a mace?
Um, the chart Table: Larger and Smaller Weapon Damage on the url given above just gives an example of a weapon doing a given damage die, so if you are asking about a like weapon (like a mace which in Conan does 1d8 for a light mace and 1d10 for a heavy mace (p125AE) then look up the 1d8 and 1d10 item in the chart on the url for Medium sized creatures (Long sword and Bastard sword, respectively). For criticals, compare to like weapons in the chart Table: Weapons further down the web page. The Conan AE breaks out weapons by type, for example the two maces described (again, p 125AE) are under One-Handed Melee Weapons, so...hmmm, here's a cunundrum, as a Heavy Mace isn't really a 1-h weapon, but I'd recommend looking at similar weapons in the chart (like warhammer or great club, respectively) and use the stats for that used item.

For armor-piercing, I'm getting really tired now so may not be at top form at this point (too much alcohol), but armor hardness doesn't change with size so neither should AP, consider instead that the weapon damage changes with size over area covered (large creatures do more damage with a longsword sized to them (2d6) than medium sized longsword wielders (1d8). If someone from Mongoose wants to clarify/contradict, that'd be great, but that's how it seems to me at this lightly inebriated state in this very late hour. :wink: Hope this helps.

DourDeadlyPuritan said:
Oh how about armor piercing and criticals? Or a weapon not on the list such as a mace?

Criticals depend on the design of the weapon. For example most swords have a crit of 19-20/x2, a boradsword designed for a Large sized creature will still have a crit of 19-20/x2. An axe will crit on 20/x3 regardless of weither it is medium sized or large sized.

AP is a tougher question. Obviously you will find no guidance for this in the SRD (AP is a Conan-specific mechanic) and I don't know of any rules in the core book about this. I can see two schools of thought on this. One says that a larger weapon has more mass and therefore should be more effective at crushing armor and so have a higher AP (note: if you suscribe to this line of thought then you would have to increase the DR value of bigger-size armor for the same reason). The second thought says that the physical structure of the larger weapon is comparable and therefore it will not be particularly better at exploiting any joints or weaknesses in an armor and thus the AP shoiuld not cange (the same logic for why the critical value doesn't change).

Of the two I would go with leaving the AP values unchanged. Not only is it simpler but if you increase the base AP of larger weapons then you might start to overwhelm your medium-sized players. Remember, most large and larger creatures will probably have very good Str scores so their AP will be respectable to start with.

Hope that helps.

Big help, guys. Sorry if it was a no-brainer. I'm not only new to Conan rpg, but gamemastering, too, and I can't believe how much of this stuff i took for granted as a player. Much appreciated.

No problem DourDeadlyPuritan (like your name! :) ), I know exactly how you feel. I remember when I was trying to get ready to run the Conan game for our group, reading the rules and trying to keep track of the differences between the SRD and Mongoose's rules. There's a very large set of rules to keep abrest of, so long as the players understand you're doing there best hopefully they'll be understanding. (Mine would jokingly insult me, but this was an established modicum with this particular group of players).

You're right, GMing really makes you appreciate all the work the other GMs have to put into their games to make it work, and makes you appreciate when game designers try to make a decent product! :p

Back