Warding

slaughterj

Mongoose
Warding appears to work as either a Dispel all magic on caster at once, or Counter target spell targeting caster - but when an enemy mage is casting a spell, how does one know it is targeting them and therefore can be countered? Is there any hit roll associated with the casting of Warding?

Is there any spell which allows general Countering? Greater Warding just expands Warding to a Triggered counter effect (which seems like can be on the caster or on another), and to Dispel all magic on another at once.

Is there any spell which allows general Dispelling? Warding and Greater Warding are directed only toward effects affecting the caster or another creature.

Once you have taken the ready action I guess you counter the spell if it happens to affect you. If not, your gamble just cost you a round. You have to roll opposed Magic Attack Rolls with the other sorcerer for the Warding to work.

I don't know any spells that allow general countering, but then I don't have all the books.

Master Warding (SoS) won't dispel per se, but you can ignore magical effects as long as it is active, so you could use it to bypass magical wards and the like. Other than that Draw Forth the Heart is an excellent general dispelling spell if you can find the guy who cast the spells and cast it on him :).

Turim said:
Other than that Draw Forth the Heart is an excellent general dispelling spell if you can find the guy who cast the spells and cast it on him :).

LOL!

I'm guessing that since most spells don't have a permanent effect, that spells on things are probably not commonplace, so probably not often necessary to address. And the SoS spell you mentioned seems good for the permanent ward type of situation (are such available in Conan, need to read more...), but it seems like something is missing - maybe they are worried that people will simply dispel Yara's tower ;)

Back