VOTE LONEWOLF!

A

Anonymous

Apparently there is another vote for your game thread up on General! Go and vote for lonewolf! Spread the word! Led the babylon 5 fleet be destroyed amidst a hail of arrows and lightning hands!!!!

Whoops, here is the link:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10471

As Balgin said, it's a poll for miniatures games, not RPGs. And truth be told, I'm becoming a bit disenchanted with the LWRPG the more I read it. I've got all the books now, and it just seems... off. So many small but easily spotted details are incorrect....

DuskFox said:
As Balgin said, it's a poll for miniatures games, not RPGs. And truth be told, I'm becoming a bit disenchanted with the LWRPG the more I read it. I've got all the books now, and it just seems... off. So many small but easily spotted details are incorrect....

If you actualy check the authors liased with Mr Dever and got to see all his original note whilst writing this stuff. Also it's set before the Lone Wolf adventures (but there's still the odd typo or mistake here and there but that's to be expected).

Balgin Stondraeg said:
DuskFox said:

If you actualy check the authors liased with Mr Dever and got to see all his original note whilst writing this stuff. Also it's set before the Lone Wolf adventures (but there's still the odd typo or mistake here and there but that's to be expected).

As someone else said over on Project Aon, Joe "oversaw" the Legends series, too, and look how that turned out.

No, the RPG is flat out wrong in a lot of places. Obviously, blatantly, should-not-have-been-so-lazy wrong. I'm not talking about things like the population of a town or the ruler of a nation. I'm talking about historical details and events, geography and culture, and other things that have been established in the Lone Wolf books that were incorrectly written in the RPG.

For example, there's a flavor text sidebar in the Darklands supplement where the narrator says that in his language, "zejar dulaga" means something like "the silent death." It's Giak for "poison arrow." Anyone with the Magnamund Companion knows that--it's not like it's all that complicated to check out. These are the sorts of details that get flubbed up constantly in the RPG.

DuskFox said:
As someone else said over on Project Aon, Joe "oversaw" the Legends series, too, and look how that turned out.

Agreed, although I suspect he might've steered them away from Legendesque nonsense a little better than he was allowed to last time. AT least I hope he was (there doesn't seem to be any silly sci-fi author's pet-characters-from-other-books-who-can-do-anything-they-want-even-when-Joe-tells-him-not-to in the RPG yet).

Anyone remember that conversation between Ishir and Alyss in one of the early Legends books? It reads almost like a direct transcript of a telephone conversation:

Ishir: What are you doing here?
Alyss: I want to be here so tough [blows raspbery & hangs up the phone].

Ishir rings back and starts telling Alyss that she really shouldn't be there and can't do anything she wants and Alyss starts going "oh yeah? Well you shouldn't have let me in to do whatever I want with this thing then should you?"

At the best that guy's annoying characters served to move the plot along. At the worst they were almost completely pointless.

There's a few things I really enjoyed in Legends (Vonotar's pet Giak and some good bits of writing). Some of the silly plot destroying characters generaly narked me off quite badly.

DuskFox said:
Balgin Stondraeg said:
DuskFox said:

Of course, it's a well known fact that I think they flubbed the Kai Disciplines a bit. There's a lot of disagreement with me on this one, but the kai from the RPG felt a bit overstrong to me. After examining it thouroughly (almost sure I spelled that wrong) I've decided it's nothing too major, but many of the tiers for the Kai Disciplines seem to be more like Magnakai disciplines, and some of the Magnakai seem to be more Grand Master oriented.

EDIT: That said, I think they did an admirable job of converting the world to D20 format. I'm more used to a D10 myself, but I recognize the work they put in. However, what is up with the index? It's... lacking.

i think low-level kai lords aren't prtrayed properly, particularly with starting ages, after all Silent Wolf was what? 15(?) when he was level 5 Kai Lord, according to the starting ages he should be a lot older than that, plus also lets not forget that every Sommlending citizen trains in their career/class from the age of seven. i know it doesnt suit the d20 system very well but i feel it would be nice if a lvl 1 kai lord were made equivalent to a current lvl 5, and if we use the same principal for each of the three "ranks" (kai, magnakai, grand master) we could fit it all within 20 levels. of course other classes wpuld also need to be treated the same way in this hypothetical situation, but after all Banedon didnt stop progressing when lone wolf became a grand master so it stands to reason that there could be some really incredible knights out there (well, maybe not after meeting Zagarna) and another advantage of this idea is it stops those awkward situations of someone barely qualified to sweep the monastary's floors being sent of on missions of world threatening importance

Back