vordak gem

stormgod

Mongoose
While reading flight from the dark, I picked one of these up. I think it was green, apparently it was worth a lot of gold, and it had some weird properties in the graveyard of ancients. questions:

How much would you price the gold value on it?

What magical properties would you ascribe to it?

How many times do you remember picking up gems in lone wolf that were really valuable looking but you could never do anything with them ever? :lol:

Don't know, maybe 300 to 600 Gold Crowns?

As far as magical properties are concerned, they seem to be the "hearts" of the Vordaks (and rather hot - probably even for a while after the Vordak becomes an ex-Vordak). The Graveyard of the Ancients thing you mentioned seemed to be more of a reaction of the skeleton king than the gem itself, at least to me. (BTW, the only colour I ever saw ascribed to them was "glowing a fierce red" when hovering over the mouth of the skeleton king.)

As to your third question, you might enjoy this thread from the Project Aon forum ... :D

Paido

No Special Item or Backpack Item is useless once you know where the sections are that say, "Lose x Special/Backpack items"! :)

And if you know which 'placeholders' from which you're to lose your items from, it's even better (ergo, "Remove the 5th and 6th items from your Backpack") :lol:

p.s. The Diamond in Book 5 is quoted as being worth "Thousands of Gold Crowns"; the Vordak Gem is quoted as being worth "Hundreds of Gold Crowns", IIRC.

I always hated the fact that I never failed to grab that Diamond, and I never could sell it off. It probably would have expidited the rebuilding of the Monastary by shaving off a few months build time....

um, yeah, just like that!

if I only had more time to read, I might not seem such an idiot....

Something like that...er, yeah.

And if you know which 'placeholders' from which you're to lose your items from, it's even better (ergo, "Remove the 5th and 6th items from your Backpack")

As in the end of the seventh book??

Kinai.

Kinai said:
As in the end of the seventh book??

Kinai.

Hmmm..I don't remember specific instances at the moment (been years since I read any, a situation I'm in the process of remedying)...I do recall your character losing his Backpack at the end of Book 7...

Nahhhh...not really. I always assumed the way the gamebook rules were written, Backpack Items couldn't be transferred from one book to another in any case... :D

Holmes said:
[...] always assumed the way the gamebook rules were written, Backpack Items couldn't be transferred from one book to another [...]
*honestly surprised* What gave you that impression? I can't remember having read anything like that ... Okay, maybe the German translation muddled something there.

*goes to check Project Aon editions*

Don't scare me like that! Apparently you really can transfer them from one book to another ... Some variation of the following sentence is in each and every book, before you proceed to take your picks from weapons, Special Items and Backpack Items:

You may take your pick of the following items (in addition to those you already possess, but remember you may only carry two weapons).

The Plague Lords of Ruel (presumably all of the Grand Master series) even says (under Game Rules, though)

You may also carry over any Weapons and Backpack Items you had in your possession at the end of your last adventure [...]

Looks like we do have every reason to just hate those creeps at the end of The Jungle of Horrors! :twisted:

Paido, relieved pack rat :wink:

Paido said:
*honestly surprised* What gave you that impression? I can't remember having read anything like that ... Okay, maybe the German translation muddled something there.

*goes to check Project Aon editions*

Don't scare me like that! Apparently you really can transfer them from one book to another ... Some variation of the following sentence is in each and every book, before you proceed to take your picks from weapons, Special Items and Backpack Items:

You may take your pick of the following items (in addition to those you already possess, but remember you may only carry two weapons).

The Plague Lords of Ruel (presumably all of the Grand Master series) even says (under Game Rules, though)

You may also carry over any Weapons and Backpack Items you had in your possession at the end of your last adventure [...]

Mebbe; I'd have to check again. I always remembering them saying that 'you may also carry over any Weapons and Special Items you had in your possession at the end of your last adventure' [and specifically not mentioning Backpack items], but it's possible that 1. either the Project Aon pages were updated to reflect a possible oversight on the editor's part, or 2. that later books in the series did (after all, the books were somewhat infamous for 'changing the rules' from time to time...like, modifying the number of Special Items that could be carried from no set number (Books 1 to 6) to 12 (Book 7 or so on), and then in Books 21+ limiting the number of Endurance that could be restored with Curing, whereas in Books 6 through 20 there was no such limit :shock: )

adgramaine said:
They put a cap on Endurance recovery for Curing Discipline?

Geeze, I need to find those books somewhere....

Yeah, but not in the Lone Wolf series, the Grandmaster series (21+). :D

Back