Vehicle skills and skill names generally

TrippyHippy

Emperor Mongoose
Is it possible to change the name of skills like 'Flyer' or 'Seafarer' into 'Vehicles - Aircraft' or 'Vehicles - Ships' or the equivalent. Indeed, instead of Drive, you could also list 'Vehicles - Ground' too - which in effect would allow all the various Vehicles skills to be listed together on the sheet.

I always had an issue with the nomenclature of Traveller skills generally. A lot of the tenses used just aren't that consistent - skipping between verbs and noun, with some words being abbreviations. Would it be possible to find this consistency in the new edition? It's a bit tricky in some cases, but with an effort in this area it would make the game system feel more professional and authoritative in effect. I'd help out with listing them, if people thought it was useful.

I also note that the Science skills aren't separated anymore, although I'm ok with this. Back in the 1st edition playtest, my objection was that the training involved in Physical sciences was not quite the same as with Social sciences and that some things included (like Philosophy or History) were quite tenuous - more like 'humanities' than a science proper. Having said that, I found some of the specialities listed under the separate Sciences skills a bit odd too, and having a single collective heading is quite useful. I would add 'Astrophysics' or 'Astronomy' to the list though. Seems quite important to the setting....

TrippyHippy said:
I would add 'Astrophysics' or 'Astronomy' to the list though. Seems quite important to the setting....
Seems like they would be useful if a group is running around in space.

TrippyHippy said:
Is it possible to change

Vacc Suit to Vac Suit.

I'm one of the generation of scientists who spent years incorrectly spelling vacuum as vaccuum because of Traveller.

"Flyer" is nicely evocative. "Vehicles - Aircraft" is rather dry, I think, and anyway it has to be "Flyer (Grav)" or some such. Would you make it "Vehicles - Aircraft (Grav)".
But then, I happen to like the traditional Traveller skill names. Making the names a little bit off from what we would probably use today adds some flavor. It's not like Galanglic is English, after all. I'm just a little bit sad that "Diplomat" isn't "Liaison", as in earlier versions of Traveller.

paulsnow said:
TrippyHippy said:
Is it possible to change

Vacc Suit to Vac Suit.

I'm one of the generation of scientists who spent years incorrectly spelling vacuum as vaccuum because of Traveller.

HAH me too.

BUT, Vacc Suit is such a Traveller standard, it would be like taking away the Marine's Cutlass!

Back