Vehicle Combat: PC Damage or Vehicle Damage

deejaay

Mongoose
Scenario: Two vehicles racing side by side. The passenger of one points a semi powerful weapon towards the other vehicle...and the person inside. Blam!
I know the rules state this:
The victim gets cover (closed vehicle) plus the armor value of the side as a negative DM to the shooter (Page 132, Core)

So the shooter fires and despite the negative DM, they succeed and hits.
But what do they hit? The vehicle or the person they are aiming at...or both?

I’m not grasping when you apply damage against the vehicle or when the person is damaged.
Does the attacker declare their target person or vehicle? And you apply armor soak to evaluate what the damage is to the intended target?

I’m over thinking this most likely but need a hint.

IIRC the Aim action grants DM+1 per Minor Action, max DM+6. Probably helped the shooter succeed but point is since they declared they were aiming I would say they should hit whatever they were aiming for.

Now, is it an open top air/raft, civilian ground car, grav APC?.... that would inform how to apply damage to the unlucky passenger.

deejaay said:
Scenario: Two vehicles racing side by side. The passenger of one points a semi powerful weapon towards the other vehicle...and the person inside. Blam!

Not the vehicle AND the passenger, it's the vehicle OR the passenger.

You state a target, either the vehicle or the passenger then you resolve the attack and apply damage, if any, to the target.

Think of it this way: If you shoot at the passengers, then you shoot at the hollow passenger compartment of the vehicle, it won't hurt the vehicle.

If you shoot at the vehicle, then you shoot at the engine compartment, the wheels, or something like that, but then you won't hurt the passengers.

Back