Vehicle: Airlift "WildFire" Hovercraft

Reisender

Cosmic Mongoose
Thanks to @Saladman for bringing it up in the thread TL 7 Ground/Raft.
I have always been fascinated by hovercrafts. They are probably the closest thing to an anti-grav vehicle that we currently have IMHO.

Link to the manufacturer page: Airlift Hovercraft WildFire

Since this is a real-life vehicle I always start by collecting all the important information about it:

Year: 2012 -> TL 7 or 8
Length: 6.56 m
Width: 2.41 m
Height: 1.95 m
Volume: 6.56m * 2.41m * 1.95m = 30.83m^3 -> 30.83m^3 / 14m^3 = 2.2 dtons
Crew: 1 driver
Passengers: 5-7 (depending on the configuration)
-> 8 spaces minimum; four versions: Cargo Transport, Adventurer Package, Standard, Passenger Transport​
Payload: 700kg (up to 900kg with reduced performance)
Speed 40 to 60 km/h (22 to 30 kts) -> Slow Speed Band => Speed reduction possible to reduce cost
Endurance:
Loiter = up to 8 hours -> Range 240km to 480km​
Cruise = 5 to 6 hours -> Range 200km to 360km​
Cabin: air conditioned
Instrumentation & Displays: Instrumentation by combination of analogue type displays and flat screen displays.
Controls:
Dynamic pitch control by elevators.​
All controls ‘Fly-by-Wire’ with programmable logic, programmable displays, warnings and safety interlocks. -> At least basic controls​
Navigation & Communications:
Standard:​
GPS Speedometer and Course Over Ground​
VHF transceiver and matching antenna​
50mm magnetic compass​
Optional:​
GPS integrated chart plotter​
Digital Radar​
Night Vision system​

Last edited:
And here is my take on it using the Vehicle Handbook(2017) building rules:

Note: I had to limit the capacity for cargo due to the payload limitations of the real WildFire. And as usual I had to make it bigger to fit 8 people inside.

Airlift "WildFire" Hovercraft
TL: 8
SKILL: DRIVE(HOVERCRAFT)
AGILITY: +1
SPEED(CRUISE): SLOW(VERY SLOW)
RANGE(CRUISE): 250(375)
CREW: 1
PASSENGER(Cargo T. / Adventurer P. / Standard / Passenger T.): 1 / 3 / 5 / 7
CARGO(Cargo T. / Adventurer P. / Standard / Passenger T.): 600kg / 400 kg / 200kg / -
HULL: 2
SHIPPING: 4 DTONS
COST: CR50'900

ARMOUR
FRONT: 2
REAR: 2
SIDES: 2

TRAITS
Autopilot(skill level): -
Communication (range): 50km
Navigation(Navigation DM): +1
Sensors(Electronics(sensors) DM): -
Camouflage(Recon DM): -
Stealth(Electronics(sensors) DM): -

EQUIPMENT AND WEAPONS
Speed Reduction(2x)
Fuel Efficiency Reduction(2x)
Communications Systems(Basic)
Navigation System(Basic)
Entertainment System

DESCRIPTION
Slightly larger than a car the WildFire combines the versatility of a hovercraft with the comfort of a limousine. Two big winged doors, one on each side, provides easy access into this vehicle. Its air-conditioned closed cabin protects against both heat and cold climates but not to the extent that it would provide the Hostile Environment trait. A basic radio provides contact to the outside world. A 50mm magnetic compass, a GPS speedometer and a Course Over Ground display assist in navigation.
The WildFire is available in four basic variants, which determine the amount of passengers and cargo: Cargo Transport, Adventurer Package, Standard, Passenger Transport

Last edited:
When I read the title of this thread, my first thought was of a hovercraft as a (wild) fire fighting vehicle... and what an incredibly bad idea that would seem to be.

When I read the title of this thread, my first thought was of a hovercraft as a (wild) fire fighting vehicle... and what an incredibly bad idea that would seem to be.
Sorry for the confusion. I did put the name in quotation marks to make it bit more clear.

Reisender if you are interested in a different type of hovercraft to write up try the Textron Systems Ship-to-Shore Connector. It's a marine corps hovercraft used to carry military vehicles so it won't be for the typical traveller but some mercenary and planetary defense corps may have a use for it.

Reisender if you are interested in a different type of hovercraft to write up try the Textron Systems Ship-to-Shore Connector. It's a marine corps hovercraft used to carry military vehicles so it won't be for the typical traveller but some mercenary and planetary defense corps may have a use for it.
I might check into it one day but I don't promise anything. With the military hovercraft ACV-3 Martinique IFV already present in the Vehicle Handbook I don't feel the urgent need to fill a gap there at the moment.

Btw. the WildFire got cheaper by Cr12'000 since I found a mistake in my price calculation.

Last edited:
That's okay. It just perked my interest as there were little to none vehicle carriers in the Vehicle Handbook. Oops, just remembered the research ship carries a submarine.

Sorry for the confusion. I did put the name in quotation marks to make it bit more clear.
No issue at all. Just a tendency to misinterpret when I skim read.

But it was an interesting insight that "firefighting" is one activity that hovercraft are likely unsuited to.

Back