VAS vs other rules...

DougE

Mongoose
I'm new to this site but not to wargaming, however, this is my first foray into naval warfare.
Not trying to step on any toes here, but what is the difference from VAS to say GHQ's WWII Micronaut rules?

In terms of game play, detail etc.

Thanks,

Doug

I've no experience with other rulesets, but I understand that VaS is among the more streamlined sets, with (I think) General Quarters being among the most detailed. Thus VaS is well suited to fleet actions, while other rules might be better for skirmishes or ship on ship combat.

The main differences I see is GQ III uses charts for all the simulation trying to keep it simple and VAS is setup simple. Both set of rules play well from my experience
GQIII rules cover a wider area of stuff if you want to add it to your game.
VAS has what is most popular, Not the extreme stuff for people who want it. But that is changing as there are going to be more extended Advanced rules in the future.
I prefer VAS for the easy less chart based style of play, both require sheets for your ships to record damage.
Most naval players own multiple sets of rules and tend to play some more than others.
I myself as I stated prefer VAS and thats what I run at cons because its very easy to learn.

I vastly prefer quick miniature games.

If there is lots of charts and folks will argue over wooden deck plank thickness...I am gone.

The only rule sets I am really familiar with are the Victory at Sea rules and the War at Sea rules.

The Victory at Sea rules are good, though there are a few holes and needless complications (Crew). These are all (I assume) being addressed in VaS 2.0! Yea!

The WaS rules are VERY beer and pretzel, but are fun and fast. I find the tiny map and victory conditions that come with the game VERY lacking, but folks have stepped up to the plate and made some great historical maps and scenarios:

http://beerandpretzel.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12901209

Hope that helps!

Peace

The complex end of naval rules are games such as Seekreig V and Command at Sea. Both attempt to model each shell and measure impact on a very micro level. Multiple damage calculations for the impact of each shell or torpedo. The average gamer can run between one and three ships and games typically run 4+ hours. ("Ok, after six resolution steps you've penetrated the captains lavatory with a 4"/57 shell that penetrates 16.2mm of armor at that range. No real effect. Next shell.")

General Quarters III (and the earlier 1 & 2) along with VAS and the new Naval Thunder occupy a middle ground. Firing tends to be more lumped together and the number of ships per gamer can be higher with mid-sized games of 10-15 ships per side resolved in 3-5 hours. I like GQ3 because the firing charts by nation refelect the significant difference between say the huge shell on the US 16"/50 on the Iowas and light flat trajectory 15"'s on a Bismarck and the importance of fire control over simple possible range. VAS does have some very good concepts and probably (with adjustments to hit% and damage), a much better torpedo system and a better ability to scale up to 30+ ships per side in a reasonable completion period. From what I've seen, the GHQ Micronaughts game is a slighly more complex version of GQ with 5-6 ships about the max for a single player and full fleet 30+ fest rather difficult to pull off in under 5-6 hours.

Axis and Allies is the lowest tier of complexity, plays quick and has some quirky beer and pretzels flavor but is closer to Battleship as a naval game than it is to a VAS or GQ.

DougE said:
I'm new to this site but not to wargaming, however, this is my first foray into naval warfare.
Not trying to step on any toes here, but what is the difference from VAS to say GHQ's WWII Micronaut rules?

In terms of game play, detail etc.

Thanks,

Doug

Never played GHQ's WWII Micronaut rules? Sorry

McKinstry said:
"Ok, after six resolution steps you've penetrated the captains lavatory with a 4"/57 shell that penetrates 16.2mm of armor at that range. No real effect. Next shell."

What!? No Morale -3 for the captain being out of loo paper? How unrealistic!

Viktor_Renquist said:
McKinstry said:
"Ok, after six resolution steps you've penetrated the captains lavatory with a 4"/57 shell that penetrates 16.2mm of armor at that range. No real effect. Next shell."

What!? No Morale -3 for the captain being out of loo paper? How unrealistic!

There is an optional die roll in the advanced rules to determine if the captain had chili or vindaloo the night before. If so, the bridge becomes uninhabitable for two turns as the command staff relocates.

McKinstry said:
There is an optional die roll in the advanced rules to determine if the captain had chili or vindaloo the night before. If so, the bridge becomes uninhabitable for two turns as the command staff relocates.

Those are the only menu options? Again, I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

Back