Using warp-spasm as a class ability in standard D&D

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking of including the warp-spasm effect in a standard D&D campaign for a celtic race. This will be as a class ability rather than a racial/feat based ability.

To simplify things, I'm making the effect of entering a warp-spasm purely affect size (with a few modifiers, see list - the level assignment are just a starting place). Using the basis for the new class as the barbarian, how can this be balanced?

e.g. Would this need to be only ever once a day? (Once a day at peak effect, plus one partial at higher levels?)

1st Level

Warp-Spasm: Partial
New Size: Medium (No change)
Str: +4
Dex: -1
Con: +2
Damage Resistance: 0/-
Attack Penalty: 0
Natural Reach: 5’

5th Level

Warp-Spasm: Standard
New Size: Large (8’ tall, 500lb)
Str: +8
Dex: -2
Con: +4
Damage Resistance: 1/-
Attack Penalty: -1
Natural Reach: 10’

10th Level

Warp-Spasm: Heroic
New Size: Large (12’ tall, 2,000lb)
Str: +12
Dex: -3
Con: +6

15th Level

Warp-Spasm: Mighty
New Size: Huge (16’ tall, 4,000lb)
Str: +16
Dex: -4
Con: +8
Damage Resistance: 2/-
Attack Penalty: -2
Natural Reach: 15’

20th Level

Warp-Spasm: Massive
New Size: Huge (24’ tall, 18,000lb)
Str: +20
Dex: -4
Con: +10
Attack Penalty: -3
Natural Reach: 15’

OK at 1st level a barbarian gets the rage ability which gives:

+4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but a –2 penalty to Armor Class.

At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (–2 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter.

So provided the warp-spasm ability give a similar “winded” deficit afterwards, the “partial warp-spasm” is slightly worse.

However, the 5th level warp spasm is, arguably, better than the 11th level version of rage. (At 11th level, a barbarian’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +6, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at –2.)

And the 10th level heroic warp spasm is better than the 20th level version of rage. (At 20th level, a barbarian’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +8, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4. The penalty to AC remains at –2.)

Let not move on to the 15th and 20th level warp spasm just yet.

-----------------------

It looks like the warp spasm, as listed, cannot be added as a straight replacement for rage, even if the other rage benefits were removed, e.g. increase in number of rage per day, tireless rage.

Perhaps a way forward would be to scale up the “winded” penalties to match the benefits of the warp spasm?

Also, no damage reduction, this is purely a warp spasm benefit.

Perhaps, like the barbarian the warp spasm ability should only increase twice - partial, standard and heroic - rather than including Mighty and Massive which go off the scale compared to rage.

I guess the problem is that you might be left with a “one trick” class. Massive advantage when warp spasm kicks in for the one combat of the day, but otherwise a kind of second rate Fighter or Barbarian.

Thanks Erekose. I admit as I was typing out the original post the warp spasm did feel as if it was getting (ironically) out of control! :D

How about if it mirrors rage a little more as you suggest (note I have modified some of the bonuses and penalties):

1st Level
Warp-Spasm: Partial
New Size: Medium (No change)
Str: +4
Con: +2
Attack Penalty: 0
Natural Reach: 5’

Penalty: –2 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run for the length of the encounter.

11th Level
Warp-Spasm: Standard
New Size: Large (8’ tall, 500lb)
Str: +8
Con: +4

Penalty: –4 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run for the length of the encounter.

20th Level
Warp-Spasm: Heroic
New Size: Large (12’ tall, 2,000lb)
Str: +12
Dex: -3
Con: +6
Damage Resistance: 3/-

Penalty: –6 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run for the length of the encounter.

I'd like to keep the warp spasm to once a day but, as indicated above, a partial may also be possible.

So the class would have the following abilities:

HD/BAB/SAVES/SKILLS etc. as the standard barbarian

1. Exotic armour proficiency (Hero-Harness), partial warp spasm 1/day,
2. Uncanny dodge
3. Trap sense +1
4. Tough +4
5. Improved uncanny dodge
6. Trap sense +2
7. Fight harder +1
8. Tough +8
9. Trap sense +3
10. Fight harder +2
11. Warp spasm (i.e. Warp spasm 1/day plus partial warp spasm 1/day)
12. Tough +12, trap sense +4
13. Fight harder +3
14. Indomitable will
15. Trap sense +5
16. Fight harder +4, Tough +16
17. Monstrous will
18. Trap sense +6
19. Fight harder +5
20. Heroic warp spasm (i.e. Heroic warp spasm 1/day plus partial warp spasm 1/day), Tough +20

Exotic armour proficiency (Hero-Harness) = in this system the hero-harness offers equivalent protection to leather armour (if made of leather) or chainmail (if made of metal).

Fight harder = the character gains this bonus against the first opponent to do damage to the character in that melee combat.

Tough = bonus hps, as the toughness feat.

Monstrous will = as indomitable will but +8 bonus.

Is this still too powerful, too much like the barbarian?

1. Exotic armour proficiency (Hero-Harness), partial warp spasm 1/day
2. Uncanny dodge
3. Trap sense +1
4. Toughness
5. Improved uncanny dodge
6. Trap sense +2
7. First attack ferocity +1
8. Improved Toughness
9. Trap sense +3
10. First attack ferocity +2
11. Warp spasm (i.e. Warp spasm 1/day plus partial warp spasm 1/day)
12. Trap sense +4
13. First attack ferocity +3
14. Indomitable will
15. Trap sense +5
16. First attack ferocity +4
17. Monstrous will
18. Trap sense +6
19. First attack ferocity +5
20. Heroic warp spasm (i.e. Heroic warp spasm 1/day plus partial warp spasm 1/day)

Exotic armour proficiency (Hero-Harness) = the hero-harness offers equivalent protection to leather armour (if made of leather) or chainmail (if made of metal) but allows the use of warp spasm.

First attack ferocity = the character gains this attack bonus against the first opponent the character attacks in that melee combat.

Monstrous will = as indomitable will but +8 bonus.

Back