Uncanny dodge and surprise

Belkregos

Mongoose
Uncanny dodge and surprise

Does the fact that uncanny dodge prevents the character from being caught flat footed mean he can’t be sneak attacked if he is surprised?

does the same apply to reflexive parry?

From page 177 of the Conan Atlantean Edition:

Only characters with levels in certain classes, such as thief or
pirate, or from certain races, such as Zingaran, can make sneak
attacks. A sneak attack can only be made against a character
who is unable to use Dodge Defence or Parry Defence to defend
himself, or who is being flanked. A character who is blinded,
flat-footed, stunned, helpless, the victim of a successful feint,
pinned or being attacked by an invisible opponent can thus be
sneak attacked.

If a character is able to defend himself with either Dodge Defence
or Parry Defence (such as a character with the Refl exive Parry
feat who is attacked when flat-footed) then he is not susceptible
to a sneak attack, unless the sneak attack is of a kind that the
chosen defence cannot help against. For example, a flat-footed
character with Reflexive Parry could still be sneak attacked by a
character using a ranged weapon, because ranged attacks cannot
be parried.

I would say no to your question. They cannot be flanked, at least as I read it.

I'm with ThorII on this.

If you've got Uncanny Dodge and you're caught flat footed you can still dodge or parry, which in effect cancels the flat footedness.

With Reflexive Parry you can only parry in the same situation.

As you can only sneak attack when the target can't parry or dodge then there's no sneak attack, well unless the target is flanked.

Exactly....

The Uncanny Dodger or Reflexive Parrier (is that a word? Or is that one who automatically drinks filtered water? :roll: ) cannot be caught flat footed, but can still be flanked (until he gets greater uncanny dodge (or whatever it's called)... then the barbarian can only be flanked by a thief or pirate who has 4 more thief/pirate levels than he has barbarian levels.

...or something like that, I don't have the rules with me at work.

throrII said:
The Uncanny Dodger or Reflexive Parrier cannot be caught flat footed ...or something like that, I don't have the rules with me at work.

Need to be a bit careful there. As the rules read the Uncanny Dodger can still be caught "flat footed" but despite that they can parry or dodge. It doesn't actually say they can't be flat footed, there might be some other wierd effects of being flat footed that I can't recall that might still apply. Alternatively I might be being just a bit too cautious with me reading of the rules :)

A character with uncanny dodge can still be caught flat footed, the difference is they can defend themselves, and they can even use parry defence despite the ability's name. If they are surprised they don't get to act. If they lost initiative, they act int heir initiative count. I think they can even defend against invisible creatures, but can't consult the book right now.

The reflexive parrier doesn't benefit against ranged attacks, but here's a question about RP:

You have the RP feat, but you don't have the quick draw feat. If you are surprised, and are not holding a weapon, can you use your RP?

Voltumna said:
The reflexive parrier doesn't benefit against ranged attacks, but here's a question about RP:

You have the RP feat, but you don't have the quick draw feat. If you are surprised, and are not holding a weapon, can you use your RP?

Nope, unless your bare hands could be considered weapons, i.e. Improved Unarmed Strike???

If you have uncanny dodge or anything like it you are allowed to use your whloe defenisve bonus. You are immune to sneak attacks from suprise or flanking with the right level of the ability, unless of course you are prevented from being able to defend your self such as a say unconisus for any reason and unable to wake. If you have reflexive parry you can still parry but at a penalty, unless of course you have unarmed strike.

Ash-Amon-Tep said:
If you have reflexive parry you can still parry but at a penalty, unless of course you have unarmed strike.

That could hapen if you were holding an object with which to parry, and the aplicable penalty I think, would be the non proficiency penalty, as the object could be considered an improvised weapon.

The use of IUS I think would allow you to deflect blades, hitting them on the flat side, otherwise, you would get your arm severed. Or if they are weapons with a shaft, you could actualy block the strike on the shaft with your bare hand. That makes me think you could try to attempt a combat meneuver like hooking parry against a shafted weapon or a staff when unarmed.

A good optional rule to parry with unarmed strikes could be, if you have improved grapple, you could grab the arm of the attacker, or his weapon's shaft if you parry succesfuly. Prereqs would be: must be parrying, improved unarmed strike. Circumstance: must have succesfully parryed. Benefit: you grab your opponent's arm or weapon's shaft, and he can not use it unless he winns an opposed disarm or grapple check, depending if you grabbed his arm or his weapon.

I think being flat footed wouldn't prevent you form using a combat manuever if prereqs and circumstances are in place.

Back