UK Mercs?

Same here !, good to see the TL of the matter disintegartors was moved up as suggested.

And lo, the Postman did arriveth, package in hand;
And Teh Hivor received the package;
And yea, when the Teh Hivor opened the package, he found it to be full of Traveller Mercenary goodness.

Here endeth Teh Leson.

:mrgreen:

Ah, a Pan-European Day of Joy, because my German Traveller core
rulebook arrived a couple of minutes ago, too ! :D :D :D

I *think* Matt (or someone!) mentioned a company called 13Mann? They're the authorised distributors of the German translation of Traveller.

Try here:

http://13mann.de/?p=28

I don't speak/read/write German, but I think these are 13Mann's contact details:

Impressum

13Mann Verlags- und Grosshandelsgesellschaft mbH
Elisabethstraße 44 - 46
40217 Düsseldorf

Telefon: +49 (0) 211 / 90 32 94 - 330
Telefax: +49 (0) 211 / 90 32 94 - 444

Geschäftsführer Volker Weber
Amtsgericht Düsseldorf HRB 56575

Verlags-KN 9811718
USt-ID DE255036297

Bitte beachten Sie, dass sämtliche hier dargestellten Inhalte urheberrechtlich geschützt sind. Wir behalten uns ausdrücklich alle Rechte vor.

Pegasus and Ulissess both distribute the English language version of Traveller in Germany.

BenGunn said:
[
I contacted them, hopefully they are also the distributor of the english stuff since I won't touch german translations of HighTech/SciFi literature or games with a 304,8 cm pole

This is fascinating - I have heard similar things about Warhammer in Germany, where the translation is used, but not realy trusted, with players defaulting the the English language version whenever there is a hiccup in their game.

Haven't seen this in any other language, seems unique to Germany. . .

msprange said:

Many of the German publishers of roleplaying games are very small and
quite semi-professional companies, and so many of the translations are
semi-professional at best, too. :(

However, from what I have seen 13 Mann have done a comparatively
good job with the core rulebook. :)

Yep, even the translators of Star Trek translated "sublight" as "ultra
light" instead of "slower than light" ... :lol:

msprange said:
This is fascinating - I have heard similar things about Warhammer in Germany, where the translation is used, but not realy trusted, with players defaulting the the English language version whenever there is a hiccup in their game.

I've seen it in English - at least with a number of Euro-type boardgames there are significant differences in the original language and the English translations and until word comes of an official change then people often go to the original text to check (Carcassone was a bit of an ightmare from memory) - OK with those games often called 'German games' then German is the language most often involved but I have seen it with games that were originally written in French too, I've been told about the same for Spanish ones though Ive never seen that myself.

Usually the issues get fixed in either the second printing or if the game is around for a while before the official English print version is done (as opposed to an English translation bunged in the box) then you'll find the issues resolved for the English print run.

Translation aint always easy...we do quite well here in Cambridge that we can usually russle up a native speaker of most of the laguages boardgames get written in at our sessions so can go to the original source language.

Doh! I THOUGHT I had pre-ordered Mercenary and so was waiting for it. Then I discovered I did't pre-order it. Doh! again. :(

Now I have it, and 760 Patrons, on order from GamesLore. Hmmm, maybe by the end of the week.....

Court Jester said:
Well Waterstone's in Woking Peacock's Shoping Centre has Mercenary and 760 Patrons in stock right now....
Oh god *WHY* would *anyone* want to go to Woking?

Just the thought of going there makes me depressed :(

;) :twisted:

Gruffty the Hiver said:
Court Jester said:
Well Waterstone's in Woking Peacock's Shoping Centre has Mercenary and 760 Patrons in stock right now....
Oh god *WHY* would *anyone* want to go to Woking?

Just the thought of going there makes me depressed :(

;) :twisted:

I must have the mental fortitude of a...

of a...

Very mentally tough thing...

As I commute to Woking and said bookstore almost everyday and so far I have not been tempted to throw myself off the platform...

8)
:wink:

Back