Tweeking Character Chreation

Just wondering if anyone else had the problem our group had. We just didn't have enough range when we looked at the core classes and sense we were looking at using spycraft mechanics for alot of things then we opened up to some of the character classes. We adjusted to the hit point system for it's reality and scrapped any vitality that we get out of it.

We also allow the every four level attribute bonus to be used for:
As normal
For 2 feats
For one level (which ever one was last) of skill points
or a combination of 2 and 3.

This seemse to work out very well, and it allowed everyone to be more comfortable with their character classes.

Now I'm not asking to have someone come tell me how "wrong" this is. I'm asking to find out what else other gamers are doing within their own games as far as character creation and classes go. Any house rules, adjustments etc that you use. I like to see how others do things and consider using those same improvements in my group's games. If anyone has anything along these lines, post them so you can share them!

I think the most major things we've changed are:

Teep abilities use wisdom not charisma, since it's force of will, not how personable you are that should determine your capability (all predefined NPC teeps have their CHA and WIS stats swapped by default).

Shields provide a DV bonus not DR, making you harder to hit, but when you get hit your shield does not stop any of the damage (since the attack got past it anyway).

We implemented a telepathic "Listening" ability to acquire targets you cannot see and have never scanned before. Although I'm not entirely sure the DC is quite correct yet, we'll see about this one.

Perturbatio said:
Teep abilities use wisdom not charisma, since it's force of will, not how personable you are that should determine your capability (all predefined NPC teeps have their CHA and WIS stats swapped by default).

Doesn't this affect other abilities boosted by these modifiers? Might that not be a bad thing?

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Perturbatio said:

Doesn't this affect other abilities boosted by these modifiers? Might that not be a bad thing?

LBH

It makes their will save higher (which makes sense), and all wisdom based skills. Their bluff, diplomacy and intimidate may be lower.

can you provide an example of something that's a bad thing?

Perturbatio said:
It makes their will save higher (which makes sense), and all wisdom based skills. Their bluff, diplomacy and intimidate may be lower.

Well diplomacy probably should be low for Teeps as most people are wary of them but I reckon that would boost their Intimidate skill and surely a Teep would be better at bluffing?

Just my 2 cents

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Perturbatio said:

Well diplomacy probably should be low for Teeps as most people are wary of them but I reckon that would boost their Intimidate skill and surely a Teep would be better at bluffing?

Just my 2 cents

LBH

I may allow a bonus to intimidate in certain circumstances (assuming the target knows the character is a teep), but only if that person has a reason to fear telepaths.

A teep would be no better at bluffing unless they had scanned or are still scanning their target's mind. In which case I might apply a synergy bonus to the check.

Charisma is partially how personable you are but also it is used as strength of personality. ie how soon you change to suit other people.

Diplomacy would not be low because people are wary of them. That is the situation where you need diplomacy. Diplomacy is the art of getting on with people who you don't like. Without them getting pissed off and beating you up.

But I agree that wisdom is a better stat for Teeps , as their abilities do seem to acquire more force of will to do (and keep doing)than personality.

I agree as well since the description for Wisdom follows the characteristics of a Telepath.

Wizards of the Coast also feel that way for some of their other D20 products also use Wisdom for Telepathy.

Back