Turan

gav

Mongoose
Can anyone please help?
I am just about to start The Coming Of Hanuman. I am looking for info on Turan. I have the road of kings book. What conan stories feature Turan or Turanians? Does anyone know of any artwork or other pictures I could use for reference?
Thanks
G

There some awful pastiches involving Turan written by Roland Green I believe. You're likely better off not reading them and starting with the Howard story The Devil In Iron for the scant details it provides.

The back cover of CONAN the Unconquered by Robert Jordan says:

"From the glory of fabled Aghrapur, capital of Turan, to..."

So maybe there is some info in it (haven't read it yet: so no promises).

There is an excellent short story from De Camp "The road of the Eagles" in Conan the Freebooter.

Raven Blackwell said:
There some awful pastiches involving Turan written by Roland Green I believe. You're likely better off not reading them and starting with the Howard story The Devil In Iron for the scant details it provides.

I agree with Raven Blackwell, gav. The Devil in Iron can be found in http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600801h.html

And don't forget to read Shadows in the Moonlight - other Howard's tale in Turan - in http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600971h.html

There is also some reference to the Turanians in the story Maneaters of Zamboula/Shadows in Zamboula.
I would also recommend Howards crusader tales from the anthology,"Sowers of the Thunder" as giving some flavour.
Roy Thomas(Marvel comics) converted his Hyrkanian war story arc in part from the tale," Shadow of the Vulture",which is contained in this book and features Red Sonya of Rogatino.

Turan is a major power of the Hyborian world, it's quite a shame we don't have a sourcebook yet (hear this Mongoose people). It would perfectly complete the Zamboula sourcebook everyone is waiting so eagerly.
In the meantime, you can always try this:

There's a description of Aghrapur in Signs & Portents 32, downloadable for free on Mongoose site.
You'll find also some nice info on Thulsa's site hyboria.xoth and on the dark storm legends site.
You might also take a look at this old Conan/AD&D module, CB1 Conan unchained. It contains information on the Kozaki and the Red Brotherhood of the Vilayet. Both are rebelious factions that play an important role in Turan.
With a bit of reworking, you'll find the adventure very "conanesque".

Take also a look at my thread on this forum "help needed-hyborian timeline" for info on the Turanian Kings.

My own campaign is centered around Turan and the Eastern Desert, so I'll be happy to share any information.

And of course, don't forget "Devil In Iron" and "Iron Shadows in the Moon" from REH. They're worth any sourcebook you could get...

As well as the Howard stories set in the East (ISM, DI, PBC, MEZ) and the de Camp/Carter stories, read Howard's Oriental historicals[1] and contemporary Middle Eastern adventures, such as the stories of El Borak and Kirby O'Donnell[2]; and the earlier works of Harold Lamb[3] and Talbot Mundy.

[1] collected in Gates of Empire and Other Tales of the Crusades
[2] mostly collected in The Lost Valley of Iskander, Son of the White Wolf. Three-Bladed Doom, and Swords of Shahrazar
[3] some of which are currently being published by Bison Books

Back