Trying to Identify a Ship

Greg Smith

Mongoose
I'm trying to identify a ship:

It is light cruiser size. I think it is British. It is bigger than a C-class and smaller than a Town class. It has two funnels and three turrets with twin guns - A,B & X. It has what look like 4 twin turrets with smaller guns or AA guns behind the X turret.

Can anyone help please?

DepuVZq.jpg

Ib11J2e.jpg

3cQGA69.jpg

Arethusa-class? The layout of the three dual main battery turrets and the four single AA guns is right, although the stern looks a bit short, but that's as far as my antique eyes get me.

I am starting to think it is the post-refit Achilles. It lost its X turret to a bomb attack.

I can't find any pictures on the net to confirm this though.

HMNZS Achilles can certainly be ruled out as she had only one funnel, even after her refit.

The big gap between the forward superstructure and forward funnel threw me for a while, but if you put a big mast there then it could indeed be HMS Arethusa or another ship of the class. Allowing for the fact that this isn't exactly an accurate model, it's the best fit I can find, and the secondary armament is in the right place, especially after the ships were refitted to carry dual 4" guns instead of single.

Back