Traveller's Aid #9: Fighting Ships of the Solomani is IN !

Status
Not open for further replies.
That leads me to a thoght... QLI really HAVE to put out T20 stuff, dont they? They could do OGL but that would not fulfil the TA subscribers' needs. Once the license goes they CAN'T fulfil their promise on the subscriptions and will have to refund. With 12 volumes out they could avoid that.

So I'm thinking they had no choice but to do it that way.

Does their license run out in 2010 or 2011? I can't really see them releasing anything else of any consequence before then. IIRC this is the last thing they had that was already written that they could finish up and release, and I can't see anyone with more than half a brain cell being willing to write for them anymore given their reputation.

Thats very true, if the subsciption is for 12 releases they will have to get that many out before the sunset date arrives (when ever that is ?)

So they still need 4 more (unless the new one is added to existing subscibers for free - which isnt the case ATM) and thats a long shot at the very least IMHO.

It could happen I guess but getting people to do it with all of the past history in the way is the tricky part isnt it ?

Rog.

EDG said:
So it's for a different ruleset, a different part of Charted space that's on the other side of the Imperium to what MGT covers right now, and it's set in the wrong era, for a war that isn't directly relevant to the Spinward Marches. How is this supposed to be useful to anyone playing MGT again?

I like to think most Traveller players are rather more open minded than you.

It will be useful to anyone playing in that area of space, whatever rules or era (okay, maybe not IW), and easily tweaked to fit elsewhere (just like every other Traveller book).

andrew boulton said:

You keep thinking that ;).

(Traveller players? Open-minded? We're talking about a group that includes people who spend 20+ pages bickering over irrelevant canon minutiae and telling anyone how anything different to their expectations is wrong, and you think they're open-minded?!)

It will be useful to anyone playing in that area of space, whatever rules or era (okay, maybe not IW), and easily tweaked to fit elsewhere (just like every other Traveller book).

And how many people playing Mongoose Traveller do you think are playing in that area of space, exactly? How many do you think need information about old Solomani warships (that aren't even likely to be anything the players will ever use or encounter)? Especially given that MGT hasn't actually covered that area yet? Maybe if you'd released this after they'd started doing the Solomani area it would have been a lot more useful, but right now it's just out there on its own.

If you want to sell this book, then sell it. Right now the only reason you've given for it to exist is that it was half-done and was the only thing that QLI could release. So far we haven't heard a single reason why this would be useful for anyone's games - it sounds like it's only use is as historical filler for another era.

And it's not like there's really any T20 material around to support it either, or much out there about the Rim War era at all (for any system. IIRC T20 never really covered it much - despite being set in that era - because its main physical setting was outside the Solomani Rim). So, hooray, you've given us a book of Solomani warships used in a war in an era that hasn't been covered before. What now?

andrew boulton said:

:lol: :twisted: :roll:

Coming from someone who banned someone just because they were upset with them.

:lol:

And I still accept the apology but look in the mirror or step back and look at the situation from at least the outside.

And Andrew, you were no where near the even the worst of the lot over there.

:)

Dave Chase

EDG said:
(Traveller players? Open-minded? We're talking about a group that includes people who spend 20+ pages bickering over irrelevant canon minutiae and telling anyone how anything different to their expectations is wrong, and you think they're open-minded?!)

Yeah - they'll argue about anything!

And how many people playing Mongoose Traveller do you think are playing in that area of space, exactly?

I don't know, and neither do you, but then it wasn't aimed primarily at MGT players (although it will be usable by them).

andrew boulton said:
(although it will be usable by them).

How? It's got no MGT stats. T20 stats aren't "close enough", people still have to work to convert them.

It's only useful for people playing T20, in the 990s era, who have a need for Solomani warships in their games. In case you hadn't noticed, MGT is currently focussing on the Spinward Marches in the early 1100s.

And if it's not aimed at MGT players, then why talk about it here on the MGT boards?

andrew boulton said:
You're doing most of the talking.

Full of pithy retorts aren't you?

Then again, it's not like you're even the writer, you're just the mug they got to do the art after everyone else pulled out because they weren't getting payment or responses from hunter.

Whatever. It's irrelevant to MGT anyway.

bored now...

Hanyways...

I do buy a lot of Traveller stuff not in my usual sphere just for reference and that I like reading Traveller stuff... won't be buying this one though.

My gaming history has been via RueQuest II & III, Call of Cthulhu and Pendragon (with a massive dollop of Space:1889 & 2300AD thrown in). The previous rules are simple and fun and 1889 & 2300AD rules are plain rubbish.

So I don't need stats. Never have. My Traveller games are all about atmosphere. A dark ruined temple on an isolated world where the sky is violet and the breeze smells of ochre and the locals either want to sell you their wives or rob you with their flintlocks.
or as GDW and people FAR too interested in numbers than roleplaying would say: E783305-2.

OK, let's make this relevant then.

When can people expect to see MGT stats for these ships? And more to the point, how is QLI planning to release those stats? If they post them for free for everyone then they're basically just giving the TA away. And I'm not sure that there's a way to track who's actually bought it so they alone can be sent the stats. QLI's store certainly isn't up to the job (and right now it's not being sold through there either).

EDG said:
And how many people playing Mongoose Traveller do you think are playing in that area of space, exactly?

Me! :wink:

EDG said:
andrew boulton said:
(although it will be usable by them).

How? It's got no MGT stats. T20 stats aren't "close enough", people still have to work to convert them.

I have a collection of Traveller books I'm proud of. Gurps Traveller makes up the biggest portion of that collection. I have never played Traveller with Gurps rules, never plan to, dislike their ruleset. T20 has just as much connection to MGT rules as Gurps does (which means they both don't). It's the fluff I like. My next campaign that I hope will begin soon will be MGT. My campaign I've been developing so far (early era Solomani Rim) has used "fluff" so far from Gurps, T5, CT, and MT to develop it (and now possibly T20). I'm guessing all serious campaigns for Traveller have borrowed from multiple Traveller lines. We aren't borrowing rules from other systems, but the fluff.

I think there are a handful of posts similar to what I just said. Please understand what we are saying.

This thread just goes to show that it really doesnt matter what QLI put out from now on its all tainted by Hunter's decisions.
Its a shame when you think of it as having seen other pieces by Andrew his art is excellent quality.

Rog.

I think you'll find that was Decipher, Inc. (ouch! poor joke... sorry)

How the hell do you put an avatar up? I've double checked the size and tried to link to my logo from facebook AND blogspot but it says 'The URL to the remote avatar is not valid'.
Can anyone help? It's starting to bug me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back