Traveller: SLA Industries

mrfingle

Mongoose
Well I can't find anyone else suggesting this but with the two relevant people sitting next to each other in the same room that would be an interesting 'offspring' of my two favourite games of all time :)

Sounds interesting. One thing that I would wonder is how you would handle the careers? I mean, the operatives are not all that old but I think they should still have more than one career under their belts even though they just have a pretty brief course in Menu and then hit the streets.

Anyway, Cubicle 7 still hold the rights and sometimes publish something to the game. So, I don't know if this would be feasible...

I ran a SLA campaign some years ago using Traveller rules and it's an excellent rules system for SLA. I ran psionics straight out of the box as flux and weapons were also easily converted.
We never got as far as Necanthropes and such and I guess that'll take some work to convert.
But I would definitely buy a Traveller SLA book.

Unfortunately, no. I'll check when I get home but I winged most of it or just used short conversion notes. Used Megatraveller rules. But if there is an interest I could jump on it again to make something others can use.

I never truly played or ran SLA Industries but it sounded cool (we even made characters but somehow we never managed to actually play it).

But yes, at least I would be interested about conversion notes :)

Did you handle Ebons and Brain Wasters as different race than human (different characteristics etc.)?

Slightly lower END, and added psionics. I simplified a lot of things so frothers were basically humans on drugs. Treated Ebons and Brain Wasters mostly the same but with different attitudes. Only one type of stormer etc.

SLA is a great setting but the game system is unplayable

OK. It might be a good idea to drop more exotic Stormers at first, at least.

Trainings should be handled like careers, I suppose. So Kick Murder and Scouts etc. should have their own Careers. I think that I would add some special techniques from JD and SD.

Now that I began thinking, maybe all starting Operatives should begin with 3 terms under their belts?

Or a random number of terms as in Strontium Dog. But I agree that different careers should be made. Now that I have it I think I will use Stront as a base. There are a lot of things that are SLA-ish in the character development such as different risk levels during the term etc.
Maybe a joint venture bouncing ideas between us?

I must go to our storage and fetch my SLA books but we could collaborate on this one. Note, I am not all that familiar with either (so far I have not used either system).

Yes, SD way to handle terms and different risk levels (colors of BPNs) sounds like a good way to go. It doesn't give exactly same results as SLA char gen (Operatives fresh from Menu) but then again it is better to capture the feel of the game rather than exact conversion. Still, I would lower the number of years from the standard 4 per term.

Back