Traveller Release Schedule 2023

So looking forward to Pioneer in the 2nd half of the year, fingers crossed that it dovetails into my homebrew.

Michael

June
The Imperial Navy:
The definitive sourcebook on the mighty Imperial Navy, covering every aspect of the backbone of the Imperium, from military procurement and ship production to the role of nobles at higher ranks and shipboard security. Comes with stunning artwork featuring uniforms, rank insignia, medals and so much more!
Does the procurement and production cover shipyard capacity in any way? What does peacetime production look like? Wartime capacity? A yard with capacity for a single build line could build a complete Kinunir during the Fifth Frontier War, but a large highly specialized shipyard can likely build many modular capital ships at once. So, given the numbers in Sector Fleet, what is the build and disposal rate of the Imperium as well as the supply time to the frontier? What is the average service life for a starship? What was the build rate growth over time? How many starships were built in thousands of years and how many are out there still? Its not exactly keeping me up at night, but I don't recall reading anything about it over the years.

Does the procurement and production cover shipyard capacity in any way? What does peacetime production look like? Wartime capacity? A yard with capacity for a single build line could build a complete Kinunir during the Fifth Frontier War, but a large highly specialized shipyard can likely build many modular capital ships at once. So, given the numbers in Sector Fleet, what is the build and disposal rate of the Imperium as well as the supply time to the frontier? What is the average service life for a starship? What was the build rate growth over time? How many starships were built in thousands of years and how many are out there still? Its not exactly keeping me up at night, but I don't recall reading anything about it over the years.
I don't know anything about The Imperial Navy book, but I did put some formulas for shipyard size and build capacity (and docking/pad capacity) into the World Builders Handbook. If they end up in both books, I hope they're somewhat compatible numbers...

Would depend on governmental policy and budget allocation(s).

You build capital ships, and in this case I mean dreadnoughts, before a conflict, not during it, unless you expect it to last decades.

Then whether it's government owned shipyards, or private ones, and if they get subsidies to maintain capability and retain experienced labour.

Would depend on governmental policy and budget allocation(s).

You build capital ships, and in this case I mean dreadnoughts, before a conflict, not during it, unless you expect it to last decades.

Then whether it's government owned shipyards, or private ones, and if they get subsidies to maintain capability and retain experienced labour.
Well, I definitely didn't get into that level of detail.
I do have a formula in there to determine defence spending as a percentage of Gross World Product. It's partially based on government types, trade codes, and procedures to determine the relative strength of various military-like functions, but the specific over what gets built and how much gets spent on what was a little too much. I did start going down the "how much for equipment" route, but it was too many pages and too much detail, so I cut it - but I saved it. It might make for a good future JTAS article.

Going by the Royal Navy, it's a balance between maintenance and upgrading capabilities, like drydocks, if you want larger and more advanced warships.

To be honest, if the author spent the time to detail that stuff out, it would just go into the "pages to glance at and never look at again" section. Any answer the author made would be a pure rear-end pull number and if I ever needed that information in my campaign, I'd just do my own such pull to match the needs of the story I'm telling.

It's not that you can't build battleships during wartime, it's more completing those under construction, upgrading existing ones, repair damaged ones, take a breath, and figure out if you need new ones; from combat experience, any improvements.

If you take the last century as an example, you tend to end the war with battleships either commissioned or under construction.

The last 2 battleship classes of the United States were both started before WWII, and entered service during the war. Improvements to the original design from combat experience were made, but the basic design was set. For brand new designs to be made, laid, launched and commissioned in time to see action the war would probably have to last 5+ years.

As a prior poster said, the emphasis is to speed up the construction of ships already in the pipeline, and every major navy will always have some ships in the pipeline.

The system Stars Without Number has a supplement for its core edition that had a model for determining the naval strength of individual planets that could be informative in a general sense.

One approach could be to determine the average lifespan of the warships, and then have the annual production rate equal the percentage needed to replace the rate of ships getting mothballed. In a wartime situation perhaps double that production rate to reflect pushing out ships faster with more resources. For example, if your fleet has a cruiser class with an average lifespan of 40 years, and you have 120 cruisers in your fleet, then expect your shipyards to replace 3 cruisers a year in peacetime. Double that amount of replacement in wartime for the first year, and perhaps double that rate again if the war continues past 1 year and the empire is going into a total war economic mode.

Aliens Vol. 4: "Texcat" I assume this is the Tezcat?

Texcat sounds like a cartoon feline with a 10-gallon hat and a pair of six shooters.

Timing for all this could not be more perfect. My D&D game finishes in 2-3 weeks and I decided to run the Secrets campaign preceded by Marches adventures 1 & 2. So not only do you bring out Marches 1-5 but also The Secrets prequel and Sequel. How did you know? :)

Back