Traveller french line

msprange said:
We have had a bottleneck on layout - but it looks like that might have been resolved. I am hoping we can get the ebook done of the French edition within the next 2-3 months.
This reminds me of something that I learned in a software localization class ages ago. The class advised that software developers should allow twice as much screen space for short bits of text (such as dialog box button labels), and 30% extra space for bulk text (a paragraph or more), because English is much more compact than many of the other languages that software is published in.

If the French-language text of Mongoose Traveller is 30% larger than the English-language text, I can see how that could make layout a significant task.

Also, I would imagine that some illustrations would need to be changed if they have any English-language text in them. Localization is not just a matter of translating ordinary text; diagrams and art need changes too.

msprange said:
Dox said:
I ask again a year later. When can we buy or pre-order the basic book for Traveller 2E in french? :?:

We have had a bottleneck on layout - but it looks like that might have been resolved. I am hoping we can get the ebook done of the French edition within the next 2-3 months.
Hoping that you could progress anyway during the Xmas break...
Is March still a reasonable target? or should we consider the release date as TBD again as "Behind the Claw" and "Shadows of Tindal" must probably be more important businesswise?

tauther said:
Is March still a reasonable target? or should we consider the release date as TBD again as "Behind the Claw" and "Shadows of Tindal" must probably be more important businesswise?

We are hoping that all three will arrive at more or less the same time (within a couple of weeks or so), and you may well see some new adventures first.

These books are all being laid out right now, and the French Traveller has raised some issues with the conversion of the translated Word documents into InDesign. Not insurmountable by any means, but it has slowed things down a little. However, we are ploughing through them as I type!

The bigger issue is our new web site, which should have gone live late last year. This has been an... interesting project, but it looks like we are finally cracking the issues there. Once live (within the next week or so, if all goes well), we can then focus properly on these books.

msprange said:
tauther said:

We are hoping that all three will arrive at more or less the same time (within a couple of weeks or so), and you may well see some new adventures first.

These books are all being laid out right now, and the French Traveller has raised some issues with the conversion of the translated Word documents into InDesign. Not insurmountable by any means, but it has slowed things down a little. However, we are ploughing through them as I type!

The bigger issue is our new web site, which should have gone live late last year. This has been an... interesting project, but it looks like we are finally cracking the issues there. Once live (within the next week or so, if all goes well), we can then focus properly on these books.
Excellent news! Thanks!

Dox said:
Still no release date for the French base book?

The French Core Book is with our layout people, they are just finishing up some other bits and pieces before the issues with it can be properly resolved.

msprange said:
Dox said:

The French Core Book is with our layout people, they are just finishing up some other bits and pieces before the issues with it can be properly resolved.

Great ! :D

Dox said:
msprange said:
Dox said:

Great ! :D

Still no Traveller in French? Wouldn't it be easier to entrust the French line to a French publisher?

Unfortunately, we were hit hard with staff illness, and we lost one of our layout people this year. However, we have someone new starting (on Monday!). There is a lot of backlog to catch up with, but we have not forgotten this project...

It's me again with my eternal question :wink: Any news about the French version of Traveller?

Layout began - but then had to stop, as it hit some really massive problems with the translated file. We will be going back to this, but we need to set aside quite a bit of time to handle it.

MongooseMatt said:
Layout began - but then had to stop, as it hit some really massive problems with the translated file. We will be going back to this, but we need to set aside quite a bit of time to handle it.

Hello. Any news please?

I am sorry, we can make very few promises while everyone is in lockdown. Fingers crossed for news later this year.

Any news on the French version? Maybe a partnership with a French publisher would be a good idea. What do you think about it at Mongoose? :idea:

MongooseMatt said:
I am afraid we are still effectively in lockdown - I do not think any movement is likely this year.

Hello. One year later, where are we with a French version of Traveller?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to subcontract the French range to a French company?

It's unfortunate to wait so long to play this excellent game in French.

Back