Traveller Fifth Edition

Exile1043

Mongoose
So, I couldn't find a topic about this just now.
And if there was I'll quietly head down there if someone would be so nice to point me in the right direction.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/traveller5/traveller-5th-edition

How does this impact Mongoose Traveller?
Did anyone on these forums know about this?
What do you think of 5th edition Traveller?

Me, I'm kind of excited about the so-far promised 600 page core-rulebook...

Haven't donated yet though, I might when I get some money in the bank again. :D

I have funded and bought the original CD. As longa s Mongoose keep the Traveller license I don't see how this would affect MGT at all. imo, 5th is insanely complicated for my style of play with gadzillions of charts and tables (which, to be fair, is what Marc Miller was hoping to offer) and aims to be fully comprehensive. I suspect it is heavily geared towards the Traveller Universe from what I've seen.

In contast, MGT is a far more straightforward, easier-to-play, OGL system as well as being fundamentally similar to the original Traveller (I wish my bro' hadn't destroyed my original set!). It is easy to adapt to other settings and different styles of play.

They are offering knighthoods and various bits and bobs for high funders (well, $100, iirc) for the kickstart, though.

So Marc Miller is making a more complicated version of Traveller?

I thought the Original Traveller was a more complicated version than MG Traveller...
And that 5th would make things more streamlined. Which is kinda what I was expecting with all of his 'maker' systems, stuff should be pretty well integrated with the core rules, and you get all of it with the core book.

But I guess I got some more homework to do!

I knew it!

Search function must be broken then...

Literally typed "Traveller 5th Edition" but it wouldn't find the damn topic!

Locking this I suppose. No need for two topics.

EDIT:

Seems I cannot lock it myself. Some helpful Moderator will surely come by and give me a hand in this. ;)

Exile1043 said:
I knew it!

Search function must be broken then...

Literally typed "Traveller 5th Edition" but it wouldn't find the damn topic!
I'd already been following the original thread, so I knew it was there somewhere! :)

Exile1043 said:
So Marc Miller is making a more complicated version of Traveller?

I thought the Original Traveller was a more complicated version than MG Traveller...
And that 5th would make things more streamlined. Which is kinda what I was expecting with all of his 'maker' systems, stuff should be pretty well integrated with the core rules, and you get all of it with the core book.

But I guess I got some more homework to do!

I always thought that CT was a bit less complicated than MGT ... well, except for the armor chart in CT. So maybe not (even though I like the concept of armor adding difficulty a bit better).
But T5 sounds like it's just a bunch of charts and such so I dunno if I feel like fundraising for it, and I already have a barony for wishing MWM a happy birthday a few years ago, so no need.

I cant believe Traveller 5 is due out at the end of this year after all this time. Really looking forward to seeing what its like but I cant imagine toting a 600 page book around! The was actually nothing wrong with the three book in a box CT concept IMO - dont know why he felt he had to change from that. I would be far more likely to buy a boxed copy than a massive book. In fact if he had just rewritten the original black books I would have been ecstatic. Oh well...

Anyway it will be interesting to have options from MGT, which I have never liked that much. I hope the new version has got loads of good illustrations in it and lots of flavour text, rather than just spreadsheet after spreadsheet like many have said it has. The only thing MGT has over CT is the ease of actually playing the game (well, and the chargen). I would hate to see Traveller go back to being overly complex. I do like designing things but I do want to actually play the game as well occasionally!.

Although a lot of people on a several forums are speaking negatively of T5, I think it's an interesting and for the most part fun system (I bought the playtest CD a few years ago but haven't done the kickstarter thing).

As the MGT system grows with rules supplements and new books, in some ways it inches closer to T5 but mostly as stated above it is meant to be an open system that allows play in any milieu one can imagine (including the Official/Original Traveller Universe through the Third Imperium supplements).

T5 covers things in detail like genetic codes (based on a character's race and UPP), sensor, armor and weapon construction (with the Makers), expanded World Gen and Mapping, various kinds of computers (like Organic, Positronic, etc) and even Senses such as Sight, Smell and Hearing. Pretty amazing. The rules examples are centered on the Spinward Marches so one imagines that is the default setting for T5.

Having said all that, Tasks, Combat and Char Gen are fundamentally changed (all less fulfilling IMO) and last I checked it was still going through a lot of rules editing. Some things are overwrought (again, IMO) such as QREBS, which is a mechanic for tracking the Quality and Reliability and so forth of various pieces of equipment, and the Stages idea, which offers about seven different options for a piece of kit from a given TL (such as Experimental, Generic, Advanced, etc). Too fiddly for me.

There's a lot of hidden gems in T5 but also A LOT of stuff to sift through to find them. MGT I believe will continue to do well with or without this new 'definitive' version.

I'll buy it if I find it discounted somewhere like Amazon, but other than that, not going to bother. I've been too happy with Mongoose in combination with what I own of Classic and Mega to ever get excited about T5 once I heard of it. Besides, I have already been Knighted by Marc Miller.

Well, I actually refused to be knighted (or whatever) by
Marc Miller, so it should not come as a surprise that I am
not interested in Traveller 5, which to me looks like Clas-
sic Traveller after a serious case of steroid addiction ... :shock:

I never got to try CT...

Thought about ordering the classic LBB's several times, those are priced fairly well in my opinion!
30-40 dollars for 6-7 little books is pretty ok in my book. ;)

I'm going to buy the book at least, i'm curious about all the maker systems and such.
And I hope the rules are worded more clearly throughout the book... with Mongoose Traveller the real meaning of some of the rules eluded me, like the starship damage charts.
I still don't know if I'm supposed to calculate every weapon apart from each other, or just sum up the whole bunch of damage from all weapons fired in that round and then apply hits.

Thus I hope 5th is crystal clear in these things... That's always a big help for me since my usual group always gets in a fuss if something isn't working properly and the solution isn't apparent in the books.

rust said:
Well, I actually refused to be knighted (or whatever) by
Marc Miller, so it should not come as a surprise that I am
not interested in Traveller 5, which to me looks like Clas-
sic Traveller after a serious case of steroid addiction ... :shock:

I'd be interested if someone else wrote it.

Let's have MWM hire Loren Wiseman. He not only needs the money
but can actually *write* the stuff. Look what he did for GURPS Traveller!

I love the way in the Kickstarter page you have to donate $950 odd before he will let you off with the $40 shipping charge for the UK!! I would have thought the option to pay $100 would have allowed a book to be posted anywhere. If it felt more like I was getting more for my money I might fund something to the project but all of the options sound actually quite greedy ie you are not getting anywhere like value for your money.

On most of the other Kickstarter things you actually get something worthwhile for your money, even if you donate $1. And most of the projects are just happy if they just get paid ahead for the product as a way to get very early advanced orders to help fund development.

Not so here - definitely seems like you are more funding MMs future bank balance than actual development/publishing costs.

No, the way I will give him money is by paying for the final product, if I feel like buying it when I see it. I love Traveller but its only a game after all, I have more worthwhile things to spend money on like living expenses, my family, and Cancer Research.

nats said:
I love the way in the Kickstarter page you have to donate $950 odd before he will let you off with the $40 shipping charge for the UK!! I would have thought the option to pay $100 would have allowed a book to be posted anywhere. If it felt more like I was getting more for my money I might fund something to the project but all of the options sound actually quite greedy ie you are not getting anywhere like value for your money.

On most of the other Kickstarter things you actually get something worthwhile for your money, even if you donate $1. And most of the projects are just happy if they just get paid ahead for the product as a way to get very early advanced orders to help fund development.

Not so here - definitely seems like you are more funding MMs future bank balance than actual development/publishing costs.

No, the way I will give him money is by paying for the final product, if I feel like buying it when I see it. I love Traveller but its only a game after all, I have more worthwhile things to spend money on like living expenses, my family, and Cancer Research.

This.

Very much true now that you mention it...

I just hope it'll be available in the Netherlands, else I'll just have to order it from wherever he's going to publish it I suppose.

I wonder how much the final book is going to cost? 60-70 dollars? It is a 600 page book after all...

Exile1043 said:
This.

Very much true now that you mention it...

I just hope it'll be available in the Netherlands, else I'll just have to order it from wherever he's going to publish it I suppose.

I wonder how much the final book is going to cost? 60-70 dollars? It is a 600 page book after all...

It'll probably be offered as a downloadable PDF. Just print what you want. Although I wouldn't pay >$25 in that format as there is no individual production/handling cost.

Yeah I got the email from MM re the kickstarter and I'm tempted to help out, but it's too damn expensive. $51 for what amounts to a couple of collector's traveller dice (literally a couple) and a mini-mortgage ($140+ from what I recall) if I actually want the dice and a book sent to me.

I just want a copy of the T5 book in Hardback only, no specials needed. I just want the book as a reference, as I use so many InHouse Game rules that are my own, I am always in search of resource material to add to my own systems that I use and GM with my own campaigns.

I feel the same as most people. I would like to have the book just to own it, browse it, maybe use some of it but I feel the current Mongoose edition will be a hard act to follow, even by Marc Miller! At 600 pages I reckon it will be far removed from the original LBBs. For me the current MG core book in pocket edition is the one to use, easy to use, easy to follow, easy to carry around.

Back