Traveller Developer's Pack

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

If you pop along to the Traveller section of the web site, you will find we have just posted the Developer's Pack.

We'll keep this thread stickied for a while, in order to answer any questions anyone might have with regards the TLL or OGL.

The Traveller SRD is here - must be Christmas today ! :shock:

Well, some of the tables do not fit quite well onto the pages, but this is
only a minimal problem.

Christmas, or at least birthday today ... :D

YES!!!
456.gif

Sooo. For those of us less knowledgeable about these things what precicely the SRD allows you to do?

Some simple examples would be welcomed.

Well, a good example would be the work Mongoose started out with on the D20 licence (way, way back in the day :)).

From the D20 SRD (which comprised, mostly, of the three main D&D rulebooks), we produced;

Slayer's Guides, 32 page books detailing the habits, habitats and new rules for specific moster races (such as Hobgoblins).

Quintessentials, each book a player toolkit for one specific character class or race.

The Drow War Trilogy - a mega-campaign, taking characters from level 1 to 30.

So, for Traveller, you might do somethin like;

A book on a new alien race.

An equipment catalogue.

A starship catalogue.

A complete universe (or sector!) of your own design.

A book detailing all the ins and outs of a single class of ship.

A scenario (nearly forgot this one!).

A book describing a magic-using alien race, complete with magic rules (yes, seriously!).

In fact, you can do just about anything you fancy - there are certain things to avoid, such as certain key rules *listed in the TLL) and you can never, ever produce anything that even gives a hint that it is related to the OTU.

Does that help?

Woohoo! Congrats to Mongoose for getting the SRD out the door. Expect an email early next week with a scanned and signed copy of my application to use the Traveller Logo License. :)

I've noticed that the SRD explains what the columns are for Weapons tables, but does not include the actual weapon table itself. Same for Armor. Whatever is not in the SRD can't be referenced in OGL products, so I can't say anything about the damage a weapon does, or anything like that, referencing specific rules such as damage or cost. Was this intentional?

I also see that there are only a handful of classes and specialties listed by name in the SRD. I can get some of the names of the others from the Traveller T20 OGC, but some can never be mentioned in an OGL product because a class and specialty list was not included in the SRD. Was that intentional? (Even if the details are left out, having the names empowers us to reference the classes in our products.)

Is there a process by which I may make a request to have additional material considered for posting to the SRD as Open Game Content?

With Regards,
Flynn

Flynn said:
I've noticed that the SRD explains what the columns are for Weapons tables, but does not include the actual weapon table itself. Same for Armor. Also, the classes are missing. Whatever is not in the SRD can't be referenced in OGL products, so I can't say anything about the damage a weapon does, or anything like that, referencing specific rules such as damage or cost. Was this intentional?

I also see that there are only a handful of classes and specialties listed by name in the SRD. I can get some of the names of the others from the Traveller T20 OGC, but some can never be mentioned in an OGL product because a class and specialty list was not included in the SRD. Was that intentional? (Even if the details are left out, having the names empowers us to reference the classes in our products.)

The idea is that the SRD is not a rulebook per se, and cannot be used as such - it is purely a developer's tool. The TLL allows you to reference the main rulebook itself (note, not the SRD!) for existing material, and all the materials are provided for you to create your own material. For example, we have the Scout career detailed specifically to give you all the material you need to create your own careers. Weapons and armour are explained, specifically so you can create your own weapons and armour, and so on.

As an example, you could completely reprint the Scout career, as it is completely Open (a by product of us using it to Open the career system as a whole). But you cannot reprint the Marine career (though it could be referenced, as detailed in the TLL). However, you _could_ create your very own Star Marine career (say).

The concepts of the OGL (which, remember is separate from the TLL, we are just using them in conjunction with one another) can take a little time to get your head round, but once you have it, you will find it pretty easy, and the rules are fundamentally basic.

Once Open, something is always Open. Anything derived from Open is also Open. So, that Star Marine we mentioned above would automatically be Open (being based on the Open career system), and another publisher is free to use it - or pick it apart and use, say, the Mishaps Table for his own Nova Marine career.

Probably going into too much detail on that, but someone wouldhave been bound to ask :)

Flynn said:
Is there a process by which I may make a request to have additional material considered for posting to the SRD as Open Game Content?

Sure, you can post suggestions here! Oh, but before anyone asks, it _is_ likely that material from books like Mercenary and High Guard will be made Open, but it will take us a little while to provide SRDs for them.

So... everything listed in the SRD is open content?

Are we allowed to publish something that presents new rules for doing something described in the SRD (I guess as long as it's not a process for generating character stats)?

EDG said:

Are we allowed to publish something that presents new rules for doing something described in the SRD (I guess as long as it's not a process for generating character stats)?

Based on my experience with other OGC released under the OGL, yes, you can modify what's in the SRD, so long as you declare it OGC in your product's Open Game Content declaration.

If you don't want to use the Traveller Logo for your product, you can even post something about generating character stats. :)

Hope This Helps,
Flynn

Thanks! This SRD is the road to Traveller's rebirth as a common sci-fi ruleset - this time, with a massive amount (I hope) of 3rd-party products and universes to support it!

Flynn said:
Based on my experience with other OGC released under the OGL, yes, you can modify what's in the SRD, so long as you declare it OGC in your product's Open Game Content declaration.

But if you wanted to present an new system to completely replace an existing one described in the SRD, would you have to declare the new system to be OGC too?

EDG said:
But if you wanted to present an new system to completely replace an existing one described in the SRD, would you have to declare the new system to be OGC too?

Ah, ha!

Now, this is where it can get tricky. . .

In theory, if you use absolutely nothing from the SRD, if the new rule is really, truly, original, then yes, it can be considered closed.

This is _exactly_ what T20 did for, say, ship design.

Some drawbacks. . .

1. You have to be _very_ sure that nothing Open has been used. You cannot closeth that which hath been made Open.

2. That decision by T20 to close things like ship and world creation led directly to us _not_ using the rules set for Babylon 5 (we used core D20 instead). _If_ the creation rules had been made OPen, who knows what might have happened? Who knows who else might have jumped on the system? :)

The policy we used here at Mongoose for D20 material was to make any and all rules Open, so there were no grey areas.

But that is just us :)

EDG said:

Yes. We were 'this' close to closing the world creation rules (which I think is what you are talking about :)) but, as of about two hours ago, relented. You can indeed write new world creation rules, as much as you could write a new career, or even a new system of doing careers.

What you can't do is use non-Open material, and if you want to use the Traveller logo, you also have to obey the requirements of the Logo Licence.

Which, to be honest, are not exactly draconian - we do actually _want_ people to use it :)

Golan2072 said:
Thanks! This SRD is the road to Traveller's rebirth as a common sci-fi ruleset - this time, with a massive amount (I hope) of 3rd-party products and universes to support it!

I'll drink to that, as will Marc!

A question: weapon names and descriptions, as well as the general rules governing them, are in the SRD, but the weapon tables with their rating aren't as far as I could see. Does it mean that weapon stats are closed content?

msprange said:
EDG said:

Yes.

First of all, thanks for releasing this! However...

I posted over on Enworld about this, but if the SRD is open, it hasn't actually been designated as open game content anywhere. Is this going to be remedied?

Back