Traveller Companion Point-Buy Clarification

I was looking at the alternate character generation point-buy scheme in the Traveller Companion p22-23, as some of my players prefer a quick build.

However, when I read the description there seems to be a discrepancy, or a misunderstanding in my interpretation, with the description for buying characteristics. Under the Characteristic Costs paragraph on (p22) it states that;
Code:
Characteristics are bought one level at a time, at a cost determined by the current value of the characteristic.

Noting the cost is based on the current value, not the new value. However, in the Cost to Buy table values and the Cost to Buy Characteristics paragraph appear to base the cost on the new value.

For example, consider the cost to by a characteristic from 5 to 6, the Charateristic Costs table (p23) shows the cost to increase a value by 1 from a current value of 3-5 is 2 points. However the cost difference between 5 and 6 on the Cost to Buy table (p23) is 3 points. This would be difference if the new of 6 was used to for the cost to increase.

From my interpretation, there is a mistake here. Either the Characteristic Costs paragraph (p22) should read "at a cost determined by the new value" or the Cost to Buy table (p23) needs amending.

If characteristic Cost to Buy values were based on the current value I believe the costs should be 0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 18, 22, 26, 30, 35, 40, 45. This would also mean the costs of 6 characteristics at 7 would be 72 and not 84.

Given skill costs are based on the new value, should characteristic costs should also be based on the new level?

Back