Traveller 2023

ottarrus

Emperor Mongoose
OK, my Old Geek heart just skipped a happy beat [as opposed to the other kinds...].

I knew that the 5th FW was going to kick off soon. Glad that's happening sooner rather than later.
I'm happy to see Traveller Pioneer is getting its feet under it. That might be interesting.
I'm pleased the the Senior Service of All Charted Space, the Imperial Navy, will be getting some detailed attention. I sincerely hope it won't turn into the hot mess MgT 1 High Guard turned into. And I have to admit that I was VERY impressed with Martin Dougherty's Sector Fleet [both versions]. The new version will have to work hard to improve on that base.
But what really, really, really made my evening was the announcement that not only is the Kaefer War kicking off, but that Mongoose got permission to republish and update the Sky Raiders Trilogy. Like most right-thinking sophonts, I'm a HUGE fan of everything the Keith Brothers have contributed to Traveller and Sky Raiders was one of their great works. It showed the way for everyone to follow: that a Traveller campaign did not have to be MnM's [Merchants or Mercenaries] and that investigatory campaigns could have as much or more to say about the Traveller Universe as any ledger sheet or gunfight [although both of those did show up in Raiders].
As for the 2300 Kaefer War, let me say that I'm a veteran [as most of you know] and a military historian. Now, I was a DAT, a dumb assed tanker, not a sailor but for my money GDW's classic Invasion book portrayed one of the most authentic interstellar wars I'd ever read. In that very slim book, you could see the politics of High Command play out like you would if you were an aide to Chester Nimitz or Dwight Eisenhower. Or for that matter, Doug MacArthur or Bernie Montgomery. How the petty grievances of decades before influenced the command decisions upon which nations balanced. But you also saw the 'boots eye view' of fighting the Kaefers, both on an occupied world and as a line grunt. While mostly a Star Cruiser campaign [and some of the scenarios for that were as nasty as anything in either World War], it inferred, referred and implied almost every single aspect of races at war. And it's getting Colin Dunn's sure hand as reboot. That ought to be pretty frikkin' awesome.

There's lots else going on at Mongoose and I encourage everyone to read all about it, so to speak. But the above is what I'm really excited about.

Last edited:
I loved running the Sky Raiders trilogy... almost.

The first two adventures were among the best I've ever seen or run, but the third...

The third adventure in the trilogy was just a let down compared with what had gone before.

The FFW could go one of two ways (bearing in mind we already know the outcome, major events, politics behind the scenes)..

And don't get me wrong, I accept the importance of the Kafer invasion and the war, I just think too much emphasis was put on it by GDW at the expense of everything else the setting had to offer. The quality and standards set by the 2300 line by Mongoose are excellent so I will be buying the lot.

I loved running the Sky Raiders trilogy... almost.

The first two adventures were among the best I've ever seen or run, but the third...

The third adventure in the trilogy was just a let down compared with what had gone before.

The FFW could go one of two ways (bearing in mind we already know the outcome, major events, politics behind the scenes)..

And don't get me wrong, I accept the importance of the Kafer invasion and the war, I just think too much emphasis was put on it by GDW at the expense of everything else the setting had to offer. The quality and standards set by the 2300 line by Mongoose are excellent so I will be buying the lot.
I agree that Fate of the Sky Raiders wasn't as up to snuff as the first two volumes, but I still give it the credit it deserves as moving beyond the two tropes of Traveller at the time: one-off troubleshooter jobs and 'MnMs'. Besides, how many Traveller adventures have EVER called for Hovercraft skill? :D

As for the Kaefer War, there were other adventures that had nothing to do with warfare, but GDW knew it's audience. The 'shooter' adventures where PCs got to unleash mayhem on ugly bad guys were the ones that sold best, so that's who they catered to. I too liked adventures like Ranger and others that looked at things other than warfare and I own them today.
I'm looking VERY forward to the Bayern boxed set and I hope that it will be as epic in scale as Deepnight... though I do hope that it'll be fully contained in one box.

Last edited:
I just finished reading through the Sky Raiders Trilogy for the first time in about forty years, and yeah, first two very good, third one is basically a sandbox with the referee needing to put together the toys - and bad editing, even by Traveller standards. So that third one will definitely require major modification, like actually presenting two or three cultures and creating some structured mini-adventures.

Besides, how many Traveller adventures have EVER called for Hovercraft skill? :D
Core Adventure 3: Errant Lightning. Well, you asked and I never miss an opportunity for self promotion.

Core Adventure 3: Errant Lightning. Well, you asked and I never miss an opportunity for self promotion.

Ba-dum-crash! Happy to oblige!
:p

OK, my Old Geek heart just skipped a happy beat [as opposed to the other kinds...].

I knew that the 5th FW was going to kick off soon. Glad that's happening sooner rather than later.
I'm happy to see Traveller Pioneer is getting its feet under it. That might be interesting.
I'm please the the Senior Service of All Charted Space, the Imperial Navy, will be getting some detailed attention. I sincerely hope it won't turn into the hot mess MgT 1 High Guard turned into. And I have to admit that I was VERY impressed with Martin Dougherty's Sector Fleet [both versions]. The new version will have to work hard to improve on that base.
But what really, really, really made my evening was the announcement that not only is the Kaefer War kicking off, but that Mongoose got permission to republish and update the Sky Raiders Trilogy. Like most right-thinking sophonts, I'm a HUGE fan of everything the Keith Brothers have contributed to Traveller and Sky Raiders was one of their great works. It showed the way for everyone to follow: that a Traveller campaign did not have to MnM's [Merchants or Mercenaries] and that investigatory campaigns could have as much or more to say about the Traveller Universe as any ledger sheet or gunfight [although both of those did show up in Raiders].
As for the 2300 Kaefer War, let me say that I'm a veteran [as most of you know] and a military historian. Now, I was a DAT, a dumb assed tanker, not a sailor but for my money GDW's classic Invasion book portrayed one of the most authentic interstellar wars I'd ever read. In that very slim book, you could see the politics of High Command play out like you would if you were an aide to Chester Nimitz or Dwight Eisenhower. Or for that matter, Doug MacArthur or Bernie Montgomery. How the petty grievances of decades before influenced the command decisions upon which nations balanced. But you also saw the 'boots eye view' of fighting the Kaefers, both on an occupied world and as a line grunt. While mostly a Star Cruiser campaign [and some of the scenarios for that were as nasty as anything in either World War], it inferred, referred and implied almost every single aspect of races at war. And it's getting Colin Dunn's sure hand as reboot. That ought to be pretty frikkin' awesome.

There's lots else going on at Mongoose and I encourage everyone to read all about it, so to speak. But the above is what I'm really excited about.
Your post pointed me to Sky Raiders, I read up on the books, and I am now excited too! It looks like a great epic concept.

The Fifth Frontier War should be a way to move the timeline further and explore psionics in a really exciting way. TravellerCon-USA 2022 this year had Psionics as the theme.

That rather depends on how you drive :D
When my group first started the current campaign, only one had any skill in wheeled vehicles, and they had to drive an APC along a muddy road. Skill 0, and he kept rolling snake eyes. Getting the APC out of the ditches (plural) each time took longer than the whole trip would have.
(Combined the 2008 movie The Ruins -no villagers- with Zozer Games' Hostile Situation Report #004 Psychosis)
They still won't let him behind the controls of anything.

When my group first started the current campaign, only one had any skill in wheeled vehicles, and they had to drive an APC along a muddy road. Skill 0, and he kept rolling snake eyes. Getting the APC out of the ditches (plural) each time took longer than the whole trip would have.
(Combined the 2008 movie The Ruins -no villagers- with Zozer Games' Hostile Situation Report #004 Psychosis)
They still won't let him behind the controls of anything.
I'm lucky enough to have a gamer wife. She relates her only exposure to Twilight 2000... She was the only woman in a table full of gun nuts and the only 'cerebral' character in a party full of shooters. They were doing the Iran T2K campaign out of GDW's 'RDF Sourcebook' and she was a German Marine [navy] officer with communications and Arabic language skills. And nobody had any drive skills. :D
But since she wasn't a shooter, they made her drive. Crashes [and commentary about 'women drivers'] ensued. But she did have the distinction of killing a bad guy with a parking lot, so there is that.....

Back