Traveler Artist looking for feedback

rogue_artist

Mongoose
Hello!

My name is Jasno Banditt Adams. I did a boat load of class/occupation description illustrations for the new Traveler Core Rule book; as well as the new Scouts supplement coming out soon and a couple other titles for Mongoose.

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask around for feedback. I always like to hear what the audience has to say about my stuff. What they like, what they don't like. Helps me grow and improve as an artist.

www.Rogue-Artist.com is my website. Examples of the work I've done are there for freely perusing.

Kindest regards,
-Banditt

Well, if you did the character illustrations in the first printing of Mongoose
Traveller, I have to admit that I did not like them. :(

If you did the ones that are in the latest printing and the PDF: Yep, nice
work, I really like them. :D

And if you did both, I definitely prefer the second attempt. :lol:

Hi Bandit.

I'll agree with rust :)

As for the work on your site…

You have excellent technical skills, especially for portraiture. Some of your figurative pieces are a little weak in regards to perspective, though. For example, the 1st and last images on the "Sequential Art" page.

The poses on your figurative pieces are also excellent, however. Very dynamic without being too unrealistic. Evocative of strength and confidence, which in Fantasy and Sci-fi is a must! :)

Your color work is interesting, but too inconsistent. I think your strength there is in the more solid and bold colors. Although the soft, painterly images aren't bad; they aren't your strongest. Also, have you considered doing some work within limited pallets? Have a look at the book "Confident Color" by Nita Leland. Although she doesn't directly address color theory for figurative work and portraiture, there's a lot of good information in there on color harmony in general.

My last thing is not just a criticism of *your* art, but of sci-fi, comic, and fantasy art in general (I'm still hoping that *one* artist will hear the criticism of some fans and actually consider making some changes). The treatment of most of your females is pretty much the epitome of objectification. Consider toning it down. We've seen that you can draw boobs bigger than my head. Can you do a drawing of a woman who has human sized boobs and still make her sexy? Or even flat chested? Could you draw something that has a nude man brandishing a sword or gun? It would be interesting to see what you could do with a drawing of a woman with all of her clothes on.

vertigo25 said:
It would be interesting to see what you could do with a drawing of a woman with all of her clothes on.

Wow, thank you Vertigo, very in depth. I do hope the above quoted sentence of yours is something rather generic you attach to several artists and not aimed specifically at myself. Honestly, I have ever only done *one* nude in my entire career.

If I give the impression of objectifying, I apologize, such is not my intent. However, I must point out that I do as required by the parameters of my contracts. Before I had the pleasure of coming into contact with Mongoose (whom is my newest client) I have had some rather, uhm, colorful folks to work with. LOL I could tell you some stories! But Im afraid they would be rather inappropriate for public forum. LOL

Mongoose is a wonderful company that gives me a lot of freedom and rarely asks for anything so base. It is a great pleasure to work with the very fine fellows, Nick and Will, of whom I have been contracted with. They are definitely an artists' pleasure to work with. Rarely am I so pleasantly surprised to be in contact with such fine individuals that allow an artist the freedoms necessary to grow and evolve, so that better art can be achieved.

You might be surprised how many companies just want to push garbage out as fast as possible. Its refreshing to work with fellows like Will an Nick, who have very high standards. I actually enjoy being pushed to do my best and "stretch my wings" on every single piece. I relish it, actually. Not to mention a lot of extremely fun projects have been sliding across my desk thanks to them. I hope I do not faux pas in relating my extreme excitement to be working on a Conan book right now :D Its been a loooong dream. Ive been a Robert E Howard fan for years and years. I became an R.E. Howard fan due to the art of Frank Frazetta.

It was an absolute nightmare to get ahold of *any* R.E. Howard books while I was in college. Thankfully I got a job at a Barnes & Noble, which had an extensive database of even back-listed books. I was able to obtain 2.

The biggest problem was that someone else had obtained the rights to "Conan" in novel form and had pushed out several junk serials by unknown authors in the decade prior. Of coarse, that company at the time wanted to push *their* novels, not the original collections from "Stange Fiction" magazine (or whatever it was that Conan debuted in). So they left the jewels of R.E. Howard's work sit unreplenished.

Due to the deflating value of the "Conan" series thanks to that lost venture, all "Conan" material was lost in legal limbo. Nothing new was printed until the fabulous "Best Of" collections recently. Thankfully, they also printed collections of Solomon Kain, and several other of R.E. Howards' creations as well, not just Conan.

And of coarse, the work at hand. Im an avid gamer myself. A Conan RPG just made me all a twitter :) I actually was pretty heavy in "dropping hints" to Will and Nick about my desire to work on something, ANYTHING Conan :) But I have no scruples, so am not ashamed :D

Sorry to blather on. To sum it up, Frank Frazetta was one of the reasons I became an illustrator. Working on "Conan" is both exciting and terrifying, because I want to give an homage to that amazing artist, who first breathed 2-D life into Conan; and did it so absolutely perfectly. Its a tough act to follow, so Im terrified. I know I cannot offer such robust and perfect examples as he, but I am still striving to give the readers something akin. Ah, also, I should probably apologize in advance. Being I am heavily influencing myself on Frazetta's work for my contribution to Conan....well I cannot promise I *won't* objectify. But don't worry, there will be plenty of muscled hunks in their scantily clad loin clothes to offset the fantasy-driven babes ;) God bless Barbarians.

Anyway, back to the suggestions!

Color, ugh, yes, color. LOL
Actually, Ive been an "interiors" guy for years. I got my first cover (and thus, color) commission early last year (2008). I spent weeks on it and still to my eye it is horridly flawed. But it appeared in Dragon Magazine and was indeed kept on as the cover for that specific work; so it was not a failed attempt. Its the one with the Dragon bearing down upon the archer in a fetid, gas-clouded swamp.

Since then Ive tried every medium available to me. Of coarse back in college they pushed us to do everything via computer. That was the growing trend. And there are *amazing* digital artists out there. No doubt about it!

I, however, will forever be a traditional artist. I must use my hands. I got well enough to have a few private commissions done on computer. But I needed to try and overcome that hurdle of picking up a paintbrush and creating art. Sounds like a funny thing for an artist to say, huh? But it is true. I was a rapidograph artist for years. All Black and White, all interiors.

Over the last year, I say I have grown leaps and bounds in the advent of color. Though I am no van Gough obviously. I have probably 7 or 8 unfinished pieces. Practice pieces as it were. Many end up getting thrown out because my ability changes so drastically. I start one piece, then half way through get the inspiration to start something else. 4-5 pieces later I go back to the very first one, but realize Ive changed so much there is no way I could finish it! LOL

Not to mention Im still getting comfortable with the various mediums at hand. Sad to say I have only been successful with one piece done in acrylic. Ive always failed at oils. Ive tried straight pigment, mixing it myself, or using it as inks or pencil-like sticks. It is there I have had the most success. Which is funny because its the most difficult to use.

When using straight pigment (mixed with water) its like working with ink. It dries FAST. Youve got less than a half a minute to cover the area and smooth it out before your window of opportunity is slammed shut. Too much water curls the paper; any variation in the pigment will show in an overlapping streak (like markers). Plus you have to mix subtle spans of pigment with bold separation lines in some areas. Try to get a new color next to an area not 100% dry and you get tie-dye bleeds. Its a NIGHTMARE. LOL

But I guess Im one of those types. Either fly by the seat of your pants, or dont bother doing it. Who says art can't be exciting? :)

So that's my story. Sorry if anyone is asleep now ;)

rogue_artist said:
vertigo25 said:
It would be interesting to see what you could do with a drawing of a woman with all of her clothes on.

Wow, thank you Vertigo, very in depth. I do hope the above quoted sentence of yours is something rather generic you attach to several artists and not aimed specifically at myself. Honestly, I have ever only done *one* nude in my entire career.

He did start that paragraph by saying it was a general statement, not one aimed at you.

I agree with the sentiment, though. The unclothed form (or effectively unclothed form) is fascinating at a biological level, but clothes make the artist. If you can do convincing clothed SF figures, you'll find an audience.

Whoops! How about I just noticed I had *not* uploaded the work from the Traveler book... :oops: Sorry about that. Its uploading now. Check the B&W portraits section.

Pertaining clothing... Im also a living historian (re-enactor) and make all of my gear myself (most of it). So Im technically a costumer as well :) So I do have some experience with clothing.

As much as I love Sci-fi and fantasy, I do hope it pleases the edge in costume I put into my art. Is it really troublesome as it stands?

Not being defensive, here; just asking for honesty. Does my art offend??

Hey, I'm liking what I see there, tho I don't think the Trav stuff's been uploaded yet, and I've not yet seen the new prints.

Generally what Vertigo said. I like your clean lines. Not so hot on the more anime-style stuff, but that's just me (not into eyes that are bigger than boobs, as seems to be wont in that style).

Don't see exactly the same objectification as Vertigo, though. Most of your ladies seem quite clothed, and not excessively pneumatic. There are loads of professional artists that never get boobs right, and I know (from experience) that size inflation is a common pitfall! And I like the fact that it's old skool line art. Getting a bit sick of CGI people, apart from the handful of artists that can get it right (and 2 of them are Traveller dudes).

Are you trad or digital? As in pencil or stylus...

Thanks Klaus! Im traditional. Pencil, ink, whatever I can get grip with my fingers! lol

Im still updating the individual pages' profiles with the new art. ack! Takes FOREVER :) It will all be uploaded completely soon! Promise.

rogue_artist said:

Just one opinion, but I would say no, I did not find your gallery offensive.

Your collection of color portraits do tend to objectify women, but that seems to be the 'luck of the draw' taking your body of work as a whole.

From what I saw of the 'NEW' artwork in the B&W Characters Gallery (assuming that is what landed in the new Traveller books), it looked fine.

To anyone looking for a fully clothed female, I suggest checking out the Misc. Gallery - 'Mechanically Inclined' from the GI Joe section (nice job, I liked it).

I would suggest that the problem with 'cheesecake' in a game like Traveller (or D&D for that matter) is less an issue of offense and more an issue of utility. A rugged male figure can easily serve as the 'image' for a PC or NPC hero/villain, but it is hard to imagine a practical use for a nurse in a thong as a 'Laura Croft' or 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' type of heroine.

atpollard said:
I would suggest that the problem with 'cheesecake' in a game like Traveller (or D&D for that matter) is less an issue of offense and more an issue of utility. A rugged male figure can easily serve as the 'image' for a PC or NPC hero/villain, but it is hard to imaging a practical use for a nurse in a thong as a 'Laura Croft' or 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' type of heroine.

LOL I agree, true, very true. The nurse color piece is for a collection of short stories though. They were supposed to be "creepy like the silent hill nurses, but not dead and no gore", and to use those halloween outfit type nurse clothing. I did with it what I could. I was hoping to get a reaction like "I'm not sure if I would like her hovering over me with a needle". But I guess the crowd it was intended for..uhm... really liked it. hrm?

That's okay, I was collaborating with the stories: co-writing, filling in, jazzing up mostly. The other guy dropped off the face of the planet, so someday, when I get time (LOL get what?) I will try and do something with it that will give it a more general appeal to the masses at large.

Anyway, I *think* Ive got all those Traveler pieces uploaded. I checked the links real quick and all should be well.

Send: www.Rogue-Artist.com to your address bar. Hit "Galleries" then select "Black and White character portraits" or some such.

I meant to have that all uploded months ago! :oops: sorry for the confusion.

Now, back to CONAN!!! :) Time to get work done.

rogue_artist said:
No, not in general. There are some few pictures that I would hesitate to
show to a feminist friend of mine, but they are a minority.

These ones works well...
http://www.rogue-artist.com/gallery_pages/agent-fed.html
http://www.rogue-artist.com/gallery_pages/agent-swat.html
http://www.rogue-artist.com/gallery_pages/Scout-explorer.html
http://www.rogue-artist.com/gallery_pages/magnus_profile_01.html

The rest like what we saw in the First Edition was very cartoonish for Traveller. I think, what many Traveller gamers value is realism above all else with a sense of wonder thrown in. This is probably where the comment of the big breasted women fits in. Yes, it is eye candy but unless it was the illo that was for the entertainer, it did not really fit. Drawing female characters would probably be your greatest challenge...sexy yet powerful.

For inspiration, you might want to check out how BSG and other modern SF or non SF dramas do it. Trek some ways exemplifies the worst traditions of SF and some of the best. So look critically, I would rather find inspiration in a program like The Guard or The Border or even maybe CSI.

Therefore, in that vein have seen the work of Blair Reynolds or the Keiths, some call Traveller a constipated look. I would disagree, if you are member of COTI, there is an art gallery that you might get some inspiration from. Also, GT Interstellar Wars has a very good Traveller vibe.

You could also take a look at the art of Georg Joergens, one of the most
influential science fiction artists over here in Germany. He works mostly
for the Perry Rhodan series, but has also produced numerous other il-
lustrations.
His website:
http://www.rz-journal.de/Gjoergens/Index.htm

Ah, really liking your Traveller pix! :)

Nice clean lines with just a hint of the baroque.

I will agree that the field scientist is somewhat under-clothed. The art style isn't but the costume screams anime.

This may be a little cruel, and reflects my own twisted perception rather than anything else, but the combat medic looks like he's touching up his makeup. ;)

And I don't think they're cartoony at all. All the proportions are correct, and they have lots of character too. Your style is much, much more mature and professional than the original TMB career illos.

I especially like the Navy Line Officer, although does he really have a cutlass stuck in his left ear, wielded by a hovering pirate skull?

All good. Bravo, sir. :)

Ive gone through my files and have begun uploading some images for two of my latest projects with Mongoose here. A new Travele supplement and Runequest supplement.

Same gallery.

www.Rogue-Artist.com

hit "Galleries" then "Black & White Character portraits" but also look at "Scenes"

Should have the database built and uploaded in about 20 minutes....

DISCLAIMER: I should point out that the city Melniborne was an incredibly difficult challenge for me. Just for the simple reason that two other artists before me had mad such absolutely perfect examples that I would have been trying to reinvent the wheel. So I made an abstract kind of montage. A little weird, but I think it fit the bill.

Thank you!! It's nice to hear some praise once in a while, besides all that Im doing wrong ;)

Woas said:
I very much like the Drifter-Barbarian art! The eclipse an exotic bird are really nice details.

Thank you Woas. I tried to do something to make a Barbarian still "sci-fi" without giving him undo gadgetry. The background seemed the only way.

Klaus Kipling said:
Ah, really liking your Traveller pix! :)

Nice clean lines with just a hint of the baroque.

Thank you very kindly for your kind words :)

Klaus Kipling said:
I will agree that the field scientist is somewhat under-clothed. The art style isn't but the costume screams anime.

Yeah, that one got away from me there. The model I was using as reference, well, captivated me. I ended up drawing more of what she was *Actually* wearing instead of what I mean to put there! LOL

Klaus Kipling said:
This may be a little cruel, and reflects my own twisted perception rather than anything else, but the combat medic looks like he's touching up his makeup. ;)

ROTFL Ah yes. Hind sight is 20/20. But hey, maybe he is taking that 5 minute lull in the fighting for recreation? ;)

Klaus Kipling said:
And I don't think they're cartoony at all. All the proportions are correct, and they have lots of character too. Your style is much, much more mature and professional than the original TMB career illos.

Again, I thank you. Im ashamed to say, but the last I encountered Traveler was.... something like in the really early '90s? Back then it had a real biased Star Trek feel. Sadly I have not had the pleasure of seeing the edition that was there before I was brought on.

Klaus Kipling said:
I especially like the Navy Line Officer, although does he really have a cutlass stuck in his left ear, wielded by a hovering pirate skull?

What? You've never gotten that kinda ich?? :) It was actually a space constraint issue. I wanted to make him reaching over his shoulder, causally for it. But with the dimensions available for canvass space, it ended up being too awkwardly close. But still a very funny take on that!

Klaus Kipling said:
All good. Bravo, sir. :)

My heart warms to applause (and my ego grows)

Back