Things I learned running this past session.

tagnetti

Mongoose
Hello all, I am just putting this down to talk about my campaign and some things I discovered while playing, I don't have my notes with me but I thought some of these thngs might be helpful to others as there are some overall conceptual thoughts in addition to ones that are rules specific.

First off, give away free Savage Sword mags and you will be loved!

All the preparation in the world , is never enough. I need to finish that GM screen.

The GM screen does not need all of the DC's I had, More importantly, different adventuring and combat related scenarios need be available with different dice modifiers.

In example, I did not know off hand that if someone is engaged in combat and another person enters the fray, That the person already engaged gets a -4 to his spot, but could possibly be aware.

If someone is being grappled , other than an opposed grapple check to break free they can just take a -4 to their attack and still be able to attack ( I believe they need to be wielding a light weapon or natural and lose their dex on D)

I will never again use D20 in place of a base 10 plus modifiers, It takes too friggin long to resolve combat and makes it very difficult for me to track everyones stats.

I wonder what everyone else that is a GM keep as their help notes to facilitate the session better.

I need not underestimate the players and fear killing them as they should be given choice to fight or flee, just present the situation as I see fit.

Not sure if rolling initiative for an entire army of foes (5-7 in this case) Is better than rolling separate initiatives. The first way is easier to track but the players get lost as they are not involved for a while. The individual way causes a longer roll time and is more difficult for me to track.

When tracking my players in order and marking of rounds of combat, leave space in-between as when people delay it screws up everything from a tracking standpoint.

Make a sheet that includes all of the stats I need refer to often as GM for each player, so That is wher D20 is definitely out instead of base 10.

Well, That's all I can think of at the moment, except I need to remember better who hits who better to add the subsequent +1's to melee attacks on the same foe. I had a tough time doing this and if someone decides to attack another enemy in the game does that change the + modifier back to square 1? Does it last just around or does it carry round to round?

Thanks and maybe we can make this a place for postings of this nature that will hopefully help everyone. As I have found when you run the game you learn the most over just reading.

Tom

Hi tagnetti,

I have tons of notes at hand, usually a binder with the most commonly used tables and charts in it. I'd be happy to share the PDFs of these if desired (no, not for Conan - yet - but for D&D 3.5).

You can get some pretty amazing stuff from The Other Game Company. They've removed their Initiative Cards, but you should be able to use the Combat Cards for the same purpose, or again, let me know and I'll share 'em. :D

Best of luck with your ongoing campaign.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

I use a clip board to keep my notes together.

I also make one roll for bad guy initiatives, and add their individual initiative modifiers to that. It's just simpler that way and saves time.

Here are comments posted on my own message board by one of my players about lessons learned in the Conan game:

1) Never spend the night in the Pictish Wilderness
1.1) If forced to spend the night in the Pictish Wilderness, fortify your position.
1.2) Ask the GM if there's a safe haven nearby
1.3) Always shift positions
2) Don't go on a scouting mission wearing armor that slows your movement or hinders your skill checks.
2.1) Running is safer than fighting.
2.2) Sometimes you just have to run faster than your friends.
3) Use trees for cover, concealment and height advantage
4) Bossonians should always fight defensively.
5) Never place yourself in a position where your enemy might be able to harm you.
5.1) Always use ranged weapons until your foes are upon you.
5.2) Always make them come to you.
6) Don't chase Picts through the forests after a planned ambush.
6.1) "It's a trap!"
7) Spread confusion among your enemies. Causing a diversion can be very effective.
8) Picts in Hunting Paint are not dangerous
9) Deception is often more effective than confrontation
10) Regroup, reorganize, reinforce

Good stuff, Thanks. I think those cards would be useful. I may make something up this week anyway for Conan as I think I am a special needs (little yellow bus GM) I need to get crackin on the GM screen again too. So I have that as it will make a world of difference as well. I just found that most of the DC's are not too commonly referenced and may add most of them last getting in the other imprtant stuff.

During the game I think it will be nice to have Combat Maneuvres and Feats on cards or something. I was going to try and work on those as well with some art or something. Maybe I'll just rough sketch some stuff.

The List of Conan do's and don'ts is funny too and true.

I use a clipboard myself. The initiative tracker is on the cover sheet and my notes are hidden under that. On the bottom 1/2 of the Initiative sheet I have each PCs name, DV, HP, DR, and general appearance.

My tracker is just a simple table printed up in word. 35 rows deep and numbered from 35 at the top to 1 at the bottom. I just pencil in the characters name on their initiative score row. I use tick marks to track rounds.

On a small table to my side I keep my binder, books, figures, pencil, and those wonderful NPC sheets we were granted.

For initiative of the bad guys, I usually break it down a little. All the guys with axes, all the guys with bows, all the guys with spears, ect.

I also WAY underestimated my PCs. One they entered battle They were doing better then I assumed they would. Armor is everything and picts have no armor.

I made most of my die roles out in the open. (Please finish the GMs screen soon) Out in the open means I couldnt fudge 1s into hits. Consequently the pict shaman had the misfortune of having a blind, crippled animal ally that did nothing but look mean and slither around a lot...not quite biting anyone.

One thing I know I need to do for myself as well is draw up a combat flow chart to follow until I really learn the new system.

Another thing that I get a lot of enjoyment out of is having my players write an in character summery of the adventure up which I post on our campaign website. I grant them a bit of exp for the summery. I also grant a bit of exp to them for painting my figures for me. That is working like a charm.

All in all, I’m learning how to GM as my players learn to play. We all make mistakes at times and we all learn from them. In the end its about getting together with friends and sharing the time together.

Thrack

That is nice stuff. I will use a similar setup. I like the idea of having them painting the figs and the Experience for backgrounds. I found a really neat site (can't remember off hand) That had a nice questionnaire for the players to help give the GM a better understanding of the players motivations, appearance, background etc. I think that would help me to create sessions that touch on everyones character a bit.

Thrack said:
I made most of my die roles out in the open. (Please finish the GMs screen soon) Out in the open means I couldnt fudge 1s into hits.

You fudge your die rolls? On the rare occasion I use a screen, I just use it to hide my notes, not my dice. I usually just roll my dice where I have them. If they are behind something, then they are behind something. If not, then not. I don't like the players to lie about the dice, so I don't either.

Except on Wednesdays, of course.

VincentDarlage said:
You fudge your die rolls? On the rare occasion I use a screen, I just use it to hide my notes, not my dice. I usually just roll my dice where I have them. If they are behind something, then they are behind something. If not, then not. I don't like the players to lie about the dice, so I don't either.

Except on Wednesdays, of course.

If it would drive the story and give a more satisfying combat to the players then yes...I will fudge.

That damn snake rolled ones 4 rounds in a row. The great forest beast was being snickered at. It was intended to be the big scary thing that would bite and grapple and thrash about. Instead it slithered around in a circle and died...

Of course the Shaman escaped and the PCs killed his snake. He is a bit upset about that...

Thrack

Back