The Robot Handbook - Coming this Friday

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Need more robots in your life?

The all new Robot Handbook is literally just waiting for the final three pieces of art to come rolling in, then it will be going through the process of final checks... and then it can be in your hands!

It is currently looking good for release (PDF and pre-order) this coming Friday, in the early afternoon (UK time).

289642529_5153234704729539_2980388683236598885_n.jpg

To keep you going, here is some more of the (fantastic!) art you will find in its pages, along with a Contents list:

Robot Design
Chassis
Locomotion
Manipulators
Default Suite
Slot Options
Brain
Special Robots and Other Synthetics
Robots as Travellers
Central Supply Catalogue: Robots
Military Robots
Service Robots
Utility Robots
Alien Robots
Drones
Microbots
Nanorobots
Androids
Biological Robots
Cyborgs
Clones
Missile Robots
Vehicle Brains
Ship's Brains
High Technology

289533372_5153234664729543_8596143558743027670_n.jpg

Weighing in at 264 pages, if you can come up with a concept for a robot, you will find everything you need in this book to create it!

Well, since the release of the printed version has been postponed once again to September, I'll have to wait till autumn. Fortunately I'm not in a hurry when it comes to the use of robots.

Reisender said:
Well, since the release of the printed version has been postponed once again to September, I'll have to wait till autumn. Fortunately I'm not in a hurry when it comes to the use of robots.

Just need to point out that both printers and international freight shipping have still not fully recovered from Covid, so printed release dates are a bit 'loose' at the moment.

Compared to the Mongoose 1st edition Robots book how has this been improved? or is it just a reprint with better pictures and some formatting fixes.

I’d say it’s much much better, but I’m so biased I shouldn’t be responding (wrote it). The old book wasn’t bad (don’t know the author, I’m sure he’s a nice guy) but it seemed rather detached from the rest of Traveller.

New design rules – if you’ve seen any of the robots in more recent publications – the Core adventures, Secrets of the Ancients (the new one), 2300 (also the new one) they were built using the new design system.

All existing robots from version 2 books plus about 100 new ones are included. Everything from nanobots to ship brains and how to build them. Specs for repair drones and autodocs (including flying autodocs with jaws of life) – in there. You want a robot body – go for it. You want a robot that builds other robots or acts as a bioreactor to grow people – go for it. And the pictures are really nice.

How does it work for player character robots?
Hate to say it depends on the robot, but it depends on the robot. There is a section on it. Robots are built, not rolled, but the question of what happens next - straight into play out of the factory or terms in a career is between player and referee to decide. There's some guidance around behavior for the less advanced models. One thing to keep in mind is the Traveller universe you're in. Standard Third Imperium, robots are property and robots with weapons make folks very uneasy - might as well have 'Hi! I'm a Psion!' painted on your forehead - same sort of reaction a weaponized robot will get....

Back