The 'new' deck plans...

I know the deck plans of the ships that appeared in the core rulebook have been updated on pdf and in the new print, but I'm a little fuzzy as to why they were updated. What exactly was wrong with the first ones? Just curious. ;)

ReluctantHero said:
I know the deck plans of the ships that appeared in the core rulebook have been updated on pdf and in the new print, but I'm a little fuzzy as to why they were updated. What exactly was wrong with the first ones? Just curious. ;)

They didn't follow the rules.

The rules specify 14 cubic meters per Ton. the deckplans used about 7, and even then, didn't align to the ship designs.

Plus, a number of the ship designs themselves had errors.

If I may, what recourse does one have for obtaining the corrected edition if one purchased their original copy by way of a third party vendor (I.E. Amazon) ?

AKAramis said:
ReluctantHero said:

The rules specify 14 cubic meters per Ton. the deckplans used about 7, and even then, didn't align to the ship designs.

Just to make sure, does that mean that, when designing my own deck plans, each component (jump drives, cargo spaces, etc) should take up a total of 14 cubic meters per ton?

ReluctantHero said:
Just to make sure, does that mean that, when designing my own deck plans, each component (jump drives, cargo spaces, etc) should take up a total of 14 cubic meters per ton?
Yep, a Traveller displacement ton is defined as (roughly) 14 cubic meters.

ReluctantHero said:
AKAramis said:

Not exactly. It means the component and access space should total 14 cubic meters ±10%. (the 10% slop is also in the rules)

When I design engine rooms, I use about 75-80% of the space as drives; the rest is workspace.
Staterooms: 1.5 to 2.5 tons in the room, rest in commons and halls.
Bridge: a third to half is the bridge proper; up to half is other accessways, and the rest is other command function spaces, like CIC or Comm & Comp Center.

On a 3m tall deck, a 1.5m x 1.5m square is 6.75 cubic meters; two of those is 13.5. Accounting for 0.2m of decking, that's just about exactly 14 cubic meters. So, when doing deck plans, I double the volumes to get deck-plan squares. then I divvy them out. Sometimes, I work in 1.5m cubes of 3.375 cubic meters; 4 to the DTon

3M tall deck with a little extra for floor/ceiling space?

That's taller than most house ceilings by a good bit. For standard humans 2.5M deck heights are more than adequate. with your .2m deck separation you get a few extra cubic meters to distribute.

I like your rule of thumb for distribution of space, it is fairly close to my own, I just never quantified it.

Most industrial buildings are 10' floor to floor (~3.1m), with a drop ceiling and or raised floor.

But if you want to use 2.5m instead of 3m, the rule of thumb for deck squares becomes 5T=12 squares.

AKAramis said:
ReluctantHero said:
AKAramis said:

Not exactly. It means the component and access space should total 14 cubic meters ±10%. (the 10% slop is also in the rules)

When I design engine rooms, I use about 75-80% of the space as drives; the rest is workspace.
Bridge: a third to half is the bridge proper; up to half is other accessways, and the rest is other command function spaces, like CIC or Comm & Comp Center.

On a 3m tall deck, a 1.5m x 1.5m square is 6.75 cubic meters; two of those is 13.5. Accounting for 0.2m of decking, that's just about exactly 14 cubic meters. So, when doing deck plans, I double the volumes to get deck-plan squares. then I divvy them out. Sometimes, I work in 1.5m cubes of 3.375 cubic meters; 4 to the DTon

I would like you to know that you just gave be a bad case sprained brain. Or perhaps tennis brain...Either way, I hate math! : )

asorrells said:
AKAramis said:
ReluctantHero said:

I would like you to know that you just gave be a bad case sprained brain. Or perhaps tennis brain...Either way, I hate math! : )

:) Simply put: Squares are 1.5m or 5 ft per side. When deciding how big to draw a deckplan, take your ship's total tonnage, and multiply by 2. That's how many squares you have. For each component, it's size in tons x2 is the number of squares it will take up overall, for all of the various parts and pieces of it.

So a 200 ton ship will be approximately 400 squares. If a power plant for that ship takes up 15 tons, then the engine room for the power plant will take up thirty squares. Block out thirty squares for the power plant, then draw some machinery that fills up most of that space, but leaves access room around it. Repeat for each component.

It can get a little more complicated than that if you want to be 100% accurate, and/or like complex and curved shapes, but that's the gist of it.

For quarters: each SR is 3-4 squares; use the rest for messes, lounges and hallways.

For Low berths: build the LB bay at 1 square per berth; draw the berths in at half a square each, leaving the rest as walkways.

Fixed the links to the deckplans that I mentioned above.

Sorry about that to any one who tried to see them.

http://www.sfrpg.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=2

http://www.sfrpg.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=13&pos=3

Dave Chase

alexhawman said:
For standard humans 2.5M deck heights are more than adequate. with your .2m deck separation you get a few extra cubic meters to distribute.
I usually assume that the rooms are 2.5m high, but there's a 0.6m spacing between decks. After all, you've got to fit the grav plates and life support equipment and plumbing and power cables and insulation somewhere.

And if you want your deckplan to have ventilation shafts between decks, that are big enough for a small person or a dangerous alien parasite to crawl through, then the 0.6m gives you just enough space. 0.2m wouldn't cut it. :)

<sigh>

Ok, so I just figured out that the core rulebook I have has the wrong deckplans in it. I figured that out while trying to build a 3d model of the Type R out of foam core - the calculations weren't coming out right.

Is this something that has been fixed in later reprints? Will Mongoose replace it like they did my High Guard book?

kristof65 said:
Is this something that has been fixed in later reprints? Will Mongoose replace it like they did my High Guard book?

In order:
1) Yes, it has been.
2) No mention of it though you can download the corrected deckplans for free from the main site:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1546&qsSeries=51

LBH

Back