The new big announcement

MaxSteiner

Mongoose
Hmmm, I was just wondering what people thought this latest one would be (The one concerning a bigger company which is 'very interested' in the evo line)?

I'm somehow finding myself desperately hoping its Toys R Us or something like that, or at least something which is more geared towards distribution than signing up yet another license (Because there is no point getting even more proposed Evo games at this stage).
I don't honestly have any expectations for the line anymore though, its coming out... eventually sometime next year... maybe... and thats enough for me really, anything else is a bonus :D

I was hoping a company like Corgi would take up production, they already make nice 1/64th tanks, other stuff, and troops(good enough for me anyway).

Even Galoob made some nice smaller SST figures. I saw on the internet back then that there were people that used those figures to play a SST miniatures game.

I can't see a video game company getting involved as they have already made this game, Battlefield 2. I'm surprised that there wasn't an issue with the name of the game just for that reason.

I also hope that they don't pick up another license. Something about too many irons in the fire comes to mind.

I have always been curious as to how long Mongoose has for the SST license from Sony. I thought those types of things lasted a finite amount of time and are then renewed...or not.

Well, I would hope it was a company on the production side of things, rather than the distribution side. Production seems to be where all the problems have shown up, after all. Who that would be? I don't know the industry well enough to make a good guess.

MaxSteiner said:
I'm somehow finding myself desperately hoping its Toys R Us or something like that,

Not as big, way more exciting.

We have another meeting coming up in a couple of weeks, we might be able to speak more about it after that.

Completely left field suggestion. Remember the Star Wars conversion? Supposed WOTC realised the "limitations" of their CMG game for mass combat, and knew the background fitted very well with the evo rules, and just gave up and hired Mongoose to do it?

It isn't like there isn't already a complete set of rules written for it.

Xorrandor said:
Well, I would hope it was a company on the production side of things, rather than the distribution side. Production seems to be where all the problems have shown up, after all. Who that would be? I don't know the industry well enough to make a good guess.

I agree. I am hoping that whoever it is results in better turn around so that they can get the once a month releases and lower costs for consumers. Price is a big complaint that I hear about at BF:Evo demos, so bringing down even just $5 across the board would be an improvement.

Well, george lucas is a vengeful deity, exacting vengeance on decipher and moving to WOTC. Maybe it is another change. I prey it is spawn or final fantasy, from Mcfarlane productions and Square enix respectively of course, not likely, but I can dream.

That's just what I meant...
05.gif

At first I was very displeased by the fact we had to wait again and again.

Well, I didn't stop waiting but I also have a lot of fun with my SST.
Since their previous announcement I've been painting like mad to get my figs finished.
We also have been busy doing small conversions, defining new units, new forces from the ranges we have at home (yes yes, soon I'll be battling a green fungus tide with an anoying WAAAAAAAAGH sound which have been adapted to be played in the SST universe, after wich a we'll be back initiative is waiting)

I'm again enjoying the game even though we're not using the evo rules (more the first released rules with a mixing of (dare I say it) at-43).

I recently bought the Roughnecks squad box and man, those are really nice figs.
I'm painting them up so they can join my Dust Devils.

I do have good hope for what's coming. I'll start playing SST evo once it reaches the stores and I'll do my part.
I remember taking place during Fourth Conflict (an annual gaming event in Aarschot, Belgium) at a free table where a 40k tourney was being played, and a lot of people started watching our game. At least we had some fun. (and it's nice to see those neo-dogs running around the battlefield chasing bugs with armourclas troopers fighting for their life)

And I like what they are doing in signs & portent (though it would be nice if it was a bit more) for SST and BF:evo.

To me they can take any amount of time before a next announcement (but I'm curious too :D )
I enjoy the game as when I first started.

here's to the future

s

I want my game back too. The wait has been long. I think the game is just going to be annoucned that it will be discontinued altogether.

In the meantime, I have other games to play.

But I sometimes wonder if we as fans cannot do that (supporting and expanding on a game) instead of the company who started it.

When you take a look at Evocommand you can see a lot of work being put into the game by fans.

I'm not that good with the internet otherwise I'm sure I would like to do something similar.

There are some people here with creativity that have been here since the beginning.

But I don't believe the game will be discontinued.

S

human_target said:
But I sometimes wonder if we as fans cannot do that (supporting and expanding on a game) instead of the company who started it.

Indeed - there is already more material out there for BF Evo than many other established games, and we are contributing to the pool of resources ourselves every month in S&P, be it new units, scenarios or campaigns.

Check out NetEpic for another game that has survived well past its publisher's disinterest. It can be done, but in the presence of strong supported competitors (which there are in 28mm, but not 6mm), it's non-trivial.

There aren't competitors for 6mm sci fi?

I'll try to forget that GZG ever existed. But Battletech, on the other hand, is hard to forget in the realm of 6mm sci fi.

Battletech claims to be 6mm, but they aren't. they re 8mm. i used to have Kurita jump infantry(not battle armour) and they were dead on 8mm tall. they towered over most Epic Space marine figures, as well as GHQ modern infantry(though not by as much as the epic stuff)

CaseyGMU said:
There aren't competitors for 6mm sci fi?

I'll try to forget that GZG ever existed. But Battletech, on the other hand, is hard to forget in the realm of 6mm sci fi.

Oh, sure, that's why I weaseled with the word "strong". Baccus recently started competing in 6mm SF too. But honestly, compare the number of SF 28mm lines with the number of 6mm lines, and their relative sales. 6mm is pretty sparse, and concentrated in the UK. And maybe in the UK, they are more commonly seen. When Epic 40K came out and killed off Space Marine, the US 6mm market pretty much died. I owned Dirtside II at the time, so the alternative was there, but with no minis to buy there wasn't much point.

(And Battletech has always been a cardboard stand-up game to me, so I do tend to forget those minis. But yeah, the scale isn't particularly close to other 6mm game lines.)

I've actually suggested that Mongoose switch SST over to 6mm, or release a parallel game in 6mm, because of this market gap. Given the size of some of the Bug units, and the scale of the actions described in the novel, I think it could make a good fit. But I can also easily see how that's a project they might not want to take on at this point :).

Back